Chieftain accidents

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Another story with tanks, how true, I cannot say, A squadron of tanks parks up a few hundred yard from a forest pub, The lads walk in, and are immediately told to fcukensee off by the boxhead gaffer, who has a reputation of hating the British military. The Sqn commander tries to be nice, and promises that his lads will behave like gentleman (?) no noise, no fuss, the gaffer says nein, big time, he will not have filthy Britishers in his pub.

A low rumble is heard, and a then voice, advising all to evacuate immediately, the sharp end of the main armament comes crashing through the pubs window, followed by a blank round, which blasts out all the windows, doors, and totally wrecks the bar, and does extensive damage to the medieval beer hall. True? who knows,... again I heard this story about 40 years ago.
I heard it about 40 years ago. Attributed to a Cent in the 60s.

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
Another story with tanks, how true, I cannot say, A squadron of tanks parks up a few hundred yard from a forest pub, The lads walk in, and are immediately told to fcukensee off by the boxhead gaffer, who has a reputation of hating the British military. The Sqn commander tries to be nice, and promises that his lads will behave like gentleman (?) no noise, no fuss, the gaffer says nein, big time, he will not have filthy Britishers in his pub.

A low rumble is heard, and a then voice, advising all to evacuate immediately, the sharp end of the main armament comes crashing through the pubs window, followed by a blank round, which blasts out all the windows, doors, and totally wrecks the bar, and does extensive damage to the medieval beer hall. True? who knows,... again I heard this story about 40 years ago.
Heard this story as well and I think it had to be a Centurion.
Don't think we ever had blanks for 120mm.

We never had a problem with any of the pubs. They did a months trade in one night.

The Russian satellite's could find our LUP by following the trail of blokes sleeping it off beween the pub and the forest.

Truxx

LE
During an Ex ODIN TANK (armoured exchange with the Danes) there was a bit of a to-do in downtown Esbjerg where a laden Antar had come into contact with a Danish bus full of Danish commuters.

The whole thing was made much more exciting by the fact that the tank was a chieftain "blade" which were always loaded backwards (because of the dozer blade). A Chieftain already overhung the sides of the trailer and the blade stuck out quite a bit.

In the accident the blade had torn open the whole side of the bus that had been picking up passengers when the Antar zoomed past. The bus looked like a tin of sardines as the passengers were left looking out of the side of the now completely open sided bus.

Being Danes, everyone thought it was hilarious.

Of the same vintage, a troop of Chieftains was clattering down a road in (not the same?) forest and came to a sharp bend. The troop officer's driver took it gently, as did the troop sergeant's, the troop corporal told his to get a move on - the tank skidded on cobbles, or whatever, and the gun cut an old Kraut cottage in half. True? Who knows?

Truxx

LE

We never had a problem with any of the pubs. They did a months trade in one night.

The Russian satellite's could find our LUP by following the trail of blokes sleeping it off beween the pub and the forest.
At the end of both Lionheart and Crusader we were issued a Gazelle helo to go out and find panzers that had broken down and left behind as the cav roared across the N German countryside. One ARV crew we found had effectively been adopted by the folks in the village where they had "broken down"

Of the same vintage, a troop of Chieftains was clattering down a road in (not the same?) forest and came to a sharp bend. The troop officer's driver took it gently, as did the troop sergeant's, the troop corporal told his to get a move on - the tank skidded on cobbles, or whatever, and the gun cut an old Kraut cottage in half. True? Who knows?

I heard a similar story of a squadron of tanks creeping through a village in the early hours, something went tits up with the turret controls, and one swung around and took out several first floor windows, walls and balcony's...... Another story of a tank trying to manoeuvre through a narrow cobbled village street, and ripped up a fair few yards of newly laid cobbles.

Yep I was on Lionheart and I also heard nowt. I did hear a tank crew went missing and when they recovered the tank the blokes had kipped underneath it and were brown bread. I was told that they were the final casualties that resulted in it being pulled early.

I also understand the moon is made of cheese, so if anyone can confirm the fatalities re the chiefy being recovered that's another urban legend kicked into the long grass.
Fully detailed in 'Try Not to Laugh Sergeant Major' which was MoD approved.

Hah. I once wrote off a 50 foot German gin palace on The Havel in Berlin with a Heavy Ferry. We agreed not to charge the box head sailor for the scratched paint on the ramp.

@Berlin_104s may remember we had our own little map pin in the 2RMP RTA map board...:)
I reckon that might be true regarding the map!!

Slight thread drift - c1990 the Staff College decided to visit Berlin for a joll . . . er, sorry a demo involving a water crossing of the Havel from the Grunewald side over to the Gatow side. Our friends in 38 ran the demo and provided Heavy Ferries along with M2 rigs especially imported from Hameln.

Yours truly was part of an RMP c/s tasked to sign and secure the embarkation point, which was a well known nudist beach in the Grunewald with the FUP being about 1km back into the forest up a track. To cut a long story short we signed the route in and then taped off an area of the beach to keep the locals off.

A while later we could hear the M2s approaching down the track at speed, and so could lots of sun bathers all wearing sun tan lotion and not much else, who lined up along the mine tape barrier to watch. The first M2 exits the trees and crosses the beach at speed, throws up a huge fountain of sand and hits the water, followed by another, and another, and another, and another, and another . . . (you get the drift).

Once the sand cloud had dispersed and the M2s were bobbing around on the water doing their stuff, it was enlightening to observe about 100 or so locals competely covered from head to toe in sand - how we laughed!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did not know this until very recently, although I did know Reggie Purbrick (commanding 17 of the 20 worst dancers at the time)

I had had a run in with his Ops Officer earlier in the year.

Ah, Reggie.
My old man, who knew Reggie well, told the tale of flying as pax with him in a Sioux and being a tad perturbed to see Reggie’s mutt curled up at his feet - presumably IVO rudder pedals.

I heard a similar story of a squadron of tanks creeping through a village in the early hours, something went tits up with the turret controls, and one swung around and took out several first floor windows, walls and balcony's...... Another story of a tank trying to manoeuvre through a narrow cobbled village street, and ripped up a fair few yards of newly laid cobbles.
Photos of a Cent with a monowheel fuel trailer ripping-up a cobbled street have appeared on these boards in the past.

There was also a story about ‘Capri Corner’ at Bovingdon. The story goes that as the training CVR(T) rounded the last corner of the road circuit by the little NAAFI, the seat suspension* gave way and the CVR(T) slewed across the road, squashing the NAAFI manager’s Capri. And him.

Did my driving course there in ‘82, so would have been just before that, as the lads were still making jokes about the broken biscuits on sale.

82 is also when the lad stole the Chieftain Wedge and took it home to show mum. Now that one IS true because it made the papers...

* ie the bungee holding the driver’s seat up

More likely you read it in 'Try Not to Laugh Sergeant Major'

Truxx

LE
Ah, Reggie.
My old man, who knew Reggie well, told the tale of flying as pax with him in a Sioux and being a tad perturbed to see Reggie’s mutt curled up at his feet - presumably IVO rudder pedals.
I doubt that we will see his like again.

Which one?

The Capri one could have been an old wives’ tale...it was being told before I got there, but I’m sure of the wedge story.

Bugger. Quoted the wrong post!

It wouldn't have been either as the book was about Lionheart.

I was trying to quote the Sigs blokes story about the Chieftain taking out the bar - which definitely is in there.

E2A: although distant memory says that there may have been a similar story in there but with a full grown Chally rather than one of your versions!

During an Ex ODIN TANK (armoured exchange with the Danes) there was a bit of a to-do in downtown Esbjerg where a laden Antar had come into contact with a Danish bus full of Danish commuters.

The whole thing was made much more exciting by the fact that the tank was a chieftain "blade" which were always loaded backwards (because of the dozer blade). A Chieftain already overhung the sides of the trailer and the blade stuck out quite a bit.

In the accident the blade had torn open the whole side of the bus that had been picking up passengers when the Antar zoomed past. The bus looked like a tin of sardines as the passengers were left looking out of the side of the now completely open sided bus.

Being Danes, everyone thought it was hilarious.
Shame it wasn't a bus full of Danish nurses!

C'mon, someone had to make the link . . .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bugger. Quoted the wrong post!

It wouldn't have been either as the book was about Lionheart.

I was trying to quote the Sigs blokes story about the Chieftain taking out the bar - which definitely is in there.

E2A: although distant memory says that there may have been a similar story in there but with a full grown Chally rather than one of your versions!
The key to the CVR(T) story was the bungees though. I think a proper tank has a real seat...

Latest Threads