Chieftain accidents

Another story with tanks, how true, I cannot say, A squadron of tanks parks up a few hundred yard from a forest pub, The lads walk in, and are immediately told to fcukensee off by the boxhead gaffer, who has a reputation of hating the British military. The Sqn commander tries to be nice, and promises that his lads will behave like gentleman (?) no noise, no fuss, the gaffer says nein, big time, he will not have filthy Britishers in his pub.

A low rumble is heard, and a then voice, advising all to evacuate immediately, the sharp end of the main armament comes crashing through the pubs window, followed by a blank round, which blasts out all the windows, doors, and totally wrecks the bar, and does extensive damage to the medieval beer hall. True? who knows,... again I heard this story about 40 years ago.
I have heard that as well but that is all.

Beat that.
Crash out at 0330 Saturday morning called whilst off Crashout time.
We were all p1ssed.
By 0430 a 38 Bty 432 CP had crashed into a petrol tanker parked up for the weekend in a garage forecourt.
Foam everywhere from the Fire brigade. Only damage to the 432 was a bent back RHS headlight crash bar.
Hah. I once wrote off a 50 foot German gin palace on The Havel in Berlin with a Heavy Ferry. We agreed not to charge the box head sailor for the scratched paint on the ramp.

@Berlin_104s may remember we had our own little map pin in the 2RMP RTA map board...:)

Another story with tanks, how true, I cannot say, A squadron of tanks parks up a few hundred yard from a forest pub, The lads walk in, and are immediately told to fcukensee off by the boxhead gaffer, who has a reputation of hating the British military. The Sqn commander tries to be nice, and promises that his lads will behave like gentleman (?) no noise, no fuss, the gaffer says nein, big time, he will not have filthy Britishers in his pub.

A low rumble is heard, and a then voice, advising all to evacuate immediately, the sharp end of the main armament comes crashing through the pubs window, followed by a blank round, which blasts out all the windows, doors, and totally wrecks the bar, and does extensive damage to the medieval beer hall. True? who knows,... again I heard this story about 40 years ago.
Now, I heard that story too, around the same time and in retrospect it's probably wish fulfillment rather than reality. Willing to be proved wrong of course!

Yep that story was still doing the rounds (!) in the 80s.

Now, I heard that story too, around the same time and in retrospect it's probably wish fulfillment rather than reality. Willing to be proved wrong of course!

Most of these military stories of the lads putting one over on the locals back in the day of BAOR, have some basis of truth, I admit the blasting a pub to bits is a bit OTT, but something must have happened, and in the intervening years, like Chinese whispers, it expands totally out of proportion to reality. The lads back in the day, had much more leeway and blind eyes were turned.

Memory Jog:- Slightly off thread. When the news came through that Joseph Mengele had died in 1979 in south America, the story of his horrendous experiments on children in Auschwitz surfaced.......... The Mengele family farm machinery company was still trading in Germany.

A few days later, their biggest showroom in the FDR was burnt to the ground, witnesses told the kraut plod that 3 young men with short hair, in T shirts and jeans, were seen sprinting away from the scene. could it have been.............?

As far as I know that actually did happen, as I recall reading a report of the court martial in the Daily Telegraph, so it must be true, obvs.

It's not true. I honestly think that if the US Army had killed a dozen or more British soldiers (albeit TA ;-)) in 'a forest somewhere in Germany' then there might have been a bit of a song and dance about it?

I know we all like to slag off the Cousins for their Blue on Blue tendencies but I'm calling utter bullshit on this.
As umpires on Crusader ‘80, we were deployed into a wood one night to stop ‘Hell on Wheels’, US 1 Div and Red Forces, from blundering through at full charge, while our Inf were still on foot in the location.
We could hear them coming from miles away.
My crew and myself wished we were in our Chieftains with the spotlight, instead of in a 432 waving torches, bent, at them.

As far as I know that actually did happen, as I recall reading a report of the court martial in the Daily Telegraph, so it must be true, obvs.
Normal rules - photos or it didn't happen.

As umpires on Crusader ‘80, we were deployed into a wood one night to stop ‘Hell on Wheels’, US 1 Div and Red Forces, from blundering through at full charge, while our Inf were still on foot in the location.
We could hear them coming from miles away.
My crew and myself wished we were in our Chieftains with the spotlight, instead of in a 432 waving torches, bent, at them.

I to was on umpire duty, Driving OC 4, 22 sigs, and heard about the many mishaps and total cock ups, never witnessed any.

Truxx

LE

definitely heard the story - although I think it must have been a Cent as the version I heard was they used a canister round

Truxx

LE
Were AEC Mk 1 TTFs unbaffled? Was it loaded? That would have made a difference - I well remember being regaled with stories of RL and older unbaffled tankers stopping only to be punted across junctions by their contents!
4 baffles, it was fully loaded and obviously, with no air, brakeless.

I'm not that bloody old..... decrepit, myopic, going bald, overweight, grumpy, fractious in the mornings, but OLD, how dare you young sir, i call you out, ....... Sutton park, chose your weapons Begbie lamps, or heliographs at 20 paces!
Heliographs? The case for the prosecution rests...

Latest Threads