Chieftain accidents

WTF was a Recy Mech doing guiding an ARV onto an Antar?
Another urban legend was one of the Queenies cousins/nephews was a tankie and he was in his Chiefy when is was being loaded and he was unceremoniously told to dismount and the reply was 'do you know who I am?' to which the reply was 'I dont give a fcuk who you are - I'm Corporal X and this is my Antar so fcuk off and get out'. Hand shakes and shits and giggles from the rupert who thought it was funny as fcuk - he did dismount.

Truxx

LE
Can't link from this phone. Just Google fu'd Lion heart deaths and got a Hansard Page. Apparently there were 3 deaths on that exercise.

I was on it as a full screw Recy Mech and attended a slack handful of serious looking accidents, but no deaths.

The Recy Mech I mentioned earlier did die, but wasn't from any of the units I covered.
One was one of mine - Cpl Paul Bagwell who died after endex when his Antar rolled.

Truxx

LE
Another urban legend was one of the Queenies cousins/nephews was a tankie and he was in his Chiefy when is was being loaded and he was unceremoniously told to dismount and the reply was 'do you know who I am?' to which the reply was 'I dont give a fcuk who you are - I'm Corporal X and this is my Antar so fcuk off and get out'. Hand shakes and shits and giggles from the rupert who thought it was funny as fcuk - he did dismount.
Not an urban legend.

The Antar No1 was Cpl "Ozzy" Spooner and the Royal was HRH Prince Michael of Kent.

The story goes that out on exercise, somewhere in BAOR, some lads set up tentage in a forest- Dried up water course- drainage ditch, take your pick, a squadron of septic tanks rumbling along In the dark, were warned off taking that particular route, the leading tank commander insisted going that way as it was the quickest, and ploughed on, right over a dozen or more sleeping British soldiers. This story has to be over 40 years old, I have no way of knowing if this is true.
It's not true. I honestly think that if the US Army had killed a dozen or more British soldiers (albeit TA ;-)) in 'a forest somewhere in Germany' then there might have been a bit of a song and dance about it?

I know we all like to slag off the Cousins for their Blue on Blue tendencies but I'm calling utter bullshit on this.

Not an urban legend.

The Antar No1 was Cpl "Ozzy" Spooner and the Royal was HRH Prince Michael of Kent.
That's the one

Truxx

LE
I used to sit in the back of Saracen and Sultan ACVs monitoring the 3 Armd Div Command Net. I lost count of the number of NODUFFs I heard where a Merc (always a Merc) ploughed into the back of a Chieftain on a remote, hilly, wooded road and four young men were killed.

I reckon Merc drivers believed they were invincible until that instant when they learned that Chieftain beats Merc.
Even a Mk1 AEC beats a Merc.
IMG_20140525_0017.jpg

It's a long time ago but I recall guiding my ARV onto an Antar in 1984. I was a CET.
I wasn't hurt though.
E2A Mojo driver. I didn't insist, the driver didn't get out of his cab.
That's Mojos for you...

Even a Mk1 AEC beats a Merc.View attachment 434644
Beat that.
Crash out at 0330 Saturday morning called whilst off Crashout time.
We were all p1ssed.
By 0430 a 38 Bty 432 CP had crashed into a petrol tanker parked up for the weekend in a garage forecourt.
Foam everywhere from the Fire brigade. Only damage to the 432 was a bent back RHS headlight crash bar.

There was also a story about ‘Capri Corner’ at Bovingdon. The story goes that as the training CVR(T) rounded the last corner of the road circuit by the little NAAFI, the seat suspension* gave way and the CVR(T) slewed across the road, squashing the NAAFI manager’s Capri. And him.

Did my driving course there in ‘82, so would have been just before that, as the lads were still making jokes about the broken biscuits on sale.

82 is also when the lad stole the Chieftain Wedge and took it home to show mum. Now that one IS true because it made the papers...

* ie the bungee holding the driver’s seat up

Another story with tanks, how true, I cannot say, A squadron of tanks parks up a few hundred yard from a forest pub, The lads walk in, and are immediately told to fcukensee off by the boxhead gaffer, who has a reputation of hating the British military. The Sqn commander tries to be nice, and promises that his lads will behave like gentleman (?) no noise, no fuss, the gaffer says nein, big time, he will not have filthy Britishers in his pub.

A low rumble is heard, and then a voice, advising all to evacuate immediately, the sharp end of the main armament comes crashing through the pubs window, followed by a blank round, which blasts out all the windows, doors, and totally wrecks the bar, and does extensive damage to the medieval beer hall. True? who knows,... again I heard this story about 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Ah but the Chally had not been on a straight bar but no air lines coming off the B1. The Front truck braked, the tanker (full and unbraked) simply sailed past snapping the front towing eye off in the process before picking up the merc and giving it a lesson in reversing.
Were AEC Mk 1 TTFs unbaffled? Was it loaded? That would have made a difference - I well remember being regaled with stories of RL and older unbaffled tankers stopping only to be punted across junctions by their contents!

Latest Threads