Chieftain accidents

QOH recruiting area was W.Mid's, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
Don't forget the huge net that dragged in the detritus circa the 80's :wink:

The nearest I ever got to the Midlands was watching Crossroads

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
When 9/12L moved to Germany in, IIRC 1979, one of the Sqn Ldr's had a letter published in Sixth Sense.
It started a rumour that the regiment would now have to comply with metric measurements & would henceforth be known as .75L
Nothing to do with tanks, but when the RGJ lost their 1st Bn back in 91-92, we told them that they were being amalgamated with the Life Guards and would be known as The Royal Life Jackets!

Cheers B_B. It was a bit of an open question. I reckon an MBT just in fuel will in Northern Europe do about 3-4 gallons per mile. You could then ask the lads, in the interest of economy, not to fire so much ammunition.
I would be asking for a transfer to the Women’s Auxiliary Balloon Corps in very short order.
The whole usage rates thing is interesting. After the Yom Kippur War there was a study (BAS/RARS) which upped likely consumption rates hugely, especially for arty. Suddenly 155mm could be firing nearly 400rds per gun per day - that’s a lot of trucks. Even 175mm was 80rds per gun per day (which was handy as that’s exactly what a single Knocker could carry).

Nothing to do with tanks, but when the RGJ lost their 1st Bn back in 91-92, we told them that they were being amalgamated with the Life Guards and would be known as The Royal Life Jackets!
I remember someone telling me back in the day that the RGJ, Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire, and the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment we’re going to amalgamate as The Prince of Wales’ Own Green Wellingtons.

I remember someone telling me back in the day that the RGJ, Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire, and the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment we’re going to amalgamate as The Prince of Wales’ Own Green Wellingtons.
I think it was the two Ronnie's - the Royal Irish Fusiliers were to amalgamate with the Royal Air Force, to become the RIF RAF.

Bored after a week as flying taxi’s for senior Ruperts on SLTA, the boss decides it will be amusing to fly below treetop height and drop bags of flour on the panzers below... so, bribe the slop jockeys with a cabby for ammunition, back doors off and a bread tray of bags of flour on the rear floor of the Scout and we’re bombed up... after a couple of runs we’re getting our eye in and scoring direct hits, until we meet a column head on... there has obviously been some radio chatter and there are guys on ‘Sagger watch’ so at 110kts and 40’ we get a full volley from their smoke dischargers... that’s when we decided taxi duty wasn’t so boring after all...
Something similar was done using modified shermulies(spelling) and stripped down thunder flashes. With hindsight a very dangerous and bloody stupid thing to do, a couple of hours after the incident(s) we did spot a couple of RMP landrovers tooling about the plain.

BopBopBop

War Hero
Bored after a week as flying taxi’s for senior Ruperts on SLTA, the boss decides it will be amusing to fly below treetop height and drop bags of flour on the panzers below... so, bribe the slop jockeys with a cabby for ammunition, back doors off and a bread tray of bags of flour on the rear floor of the Scout and we’re bombed up... after a couple of runs we’re getting our eye in and scoring direct hits, until we meet a column head on... there has obviously been some radio chatter and there are guys on ‘Sagger watch’ so at 110kts and 40’ we get a full volley from their smoke dischargers... that’s when we decided taxi duty wasn’t so boring after all...
Endex in Germany mid 1970's.

Our GW troop of 438's were parked side by side, in a line and out in the open on the plain.

We were sorting few things out before the road march back.

We got dive bombed a number of times by three or four Harriers.

They flew very low and must have been practicing ground attack with their cannon?

A few seconds after each of them passed, then climbed and the roar started to subside there followed an eerie loud whistling. The displaced air?

Our GW troop of 438's were parked side by side, in a line and out in the open on the plain.

They flew very low and must have been practicing ground attack with their cannon?

A few seconds after each of them passed, then climbed and the roar started to subside there followed an eerie loud whistling. The displaced air?
That, or the noise catching up. I’ve seen harrier tip vortices racing along tracks looking for all the world like a road runner on speed, long after the a/c has gone.

Huh. Young'uns. Don't know a Stuka when you see one!

Soltau, late 80's. The Troop had been in a tac hide all night and during the morning we had heard some A-10's buzzing around here and there. Finally mid-morning, we descrimmed and set out from the hide onto the track to meet up with the rest of the Sqn. As we pulled out of the wood line and and straightened up, the driver immediately said "Feck me FC, elevate and look what's coming . . "

I elevated, and this is a made-up image of what faced me through the gun sight. . . .

1575986508386.png

They has probably been sat there awaiting for us to come out and be 'hit'

Very sobering

BopBopBop

War Hero
Soltau, late 80's. The Troop had been in a tac hide all night and during the morning we had heard some A-10's buzzing around here and there. Finally mid-morning, we descrimmed and set out from the hide onto the track to meet up with the rest of the Sqn. As we pulled out of the wood line and and straightened up, the driver immediately said "Feck me FC, elevate and look what's coming . . "

I elevated, and this is a made-up image of what faced me through the gun sight. . . .

View attachment 435994

They has probably been sat there awaiting for us to come out and be 'hit'

Very sobering
Made me jealous. Never seen an 10

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Made me jealous. Never seen an 10
1982, FHQ B Squadron. One of the troops was demonstrating the Reserve Demolition for the benefit of the Battlegroup with the assistance of a section of sappers. A tiny stream represented the Weser or similar.

Squadron Leader, stood beside me at the top of the bank with a megaphone, was narrating. The Reserve Demolition troop are in front of the armour and infantry on the FEBA and behind the Recce screen on the FLOT. The Primary Demolitions have been blown, the Recce screen is withdrawing in contact with Orange Forces, encouraging them into the Killing Zone in front of the demolition.

Own troops cross back over the bridge. Squadron Leader makes joke about Demolition Commander putting his career on the line and avoiding ending up like Robert Vaughn in Bridge at Remagen by blowing the bridge without the correct orders. Everything works like clockwork. Squadron Leader adds that if anything goes wrong, there's always A10s available.

At this point an A10 pops over our heads right above me, lower than I've ever seen an American pilot fly (and I've seen A10s take off and land — and crash, once — at Alconbury). So low I felt the heat from the exhausts and smelt the fuel. As the A10 dropped into the valley and levelled off, I could see the back of the pilot's helmet.

Impressed.

Last edited:

Latest Threads