Chieftain accidents

Two Hussars were lost in 1989 when a wagon turned over at the washdown near Hohne.
Cpl Monty Morten & Tpr Dennis Brownhill were both killed in the accident.

The QRH, which was formed from the amalgamation of the QOH & QRIH still remember it every year.

1575378647763.png

Nec Aspera Terrent

Two Hussars were lost in 1989 when a wagon turned over at the washdown near Hohne.

The QRH, which was formed from the amalgamation of the QOH & QRIH still remember it every year.

View attachment 434605

Nec Aspera Terrent
I think I remember that. Wasn't it impossible to get them out and they drowned inside the vehicle?

I think I remember that. Wasn't it impossible to get them out and they drowned inside the vehicle?
I believe so. I wasn't in the Regiment then, so didn't ever get the full details.

I believe so. I wasn't in the Regiment then, so didn't ever get the full details.
A friend of mine was in 111 Pro Coy RMP at Hohne and went to the scene. He told me that they were trying to get the driver (Tpr Brownhill?) out as the water was flooding in, but couldn't get the hatch open the full way in order to pull him through. He stayed with him throughout and had to ultimately watch him drown - heartbreaking.

A friend of mine was in 111 Pro Coy RMP at Hohne and went to the scene. He told me that they were trying to get the driver (Tpr Brownhill?) out as the water was flooding in, but couldn't get the hatch open the full way in order to pull him through. He stayed with him throughout and had to ultimately watch him drown - heartbreaking.
There was a near miss on Saltau in ‘82 when an SDG Chieftain rolled off the side of a 9.9 AVLB combination bridge over the Schwindleybeck. Ended up upside down in the water. Bit of a joint effort to get them out. Luckily the gun was to the front as it kept the driver’s hatch off the bottom. IIRC the SDG RSM went in (and down) to open the driver’s hatch. All were rescued, took about another 2-3 days to recover the tank I think.

My first ever ‘live’ bridge! (Ie with traffic).

We also had a mishap at Wolfenbüttel Rail yard in '87. My Tp had just finished an FTX acting as enemy for some Recce comp or other with a Platoon of Welsh Guards, when as were loading one of the wagons onto a flatbed, it slid sideways. It was prevented from rolling right over by a rather large wall.

It was stuck at a 45º angle going no where fast.

The WG thought it was hilarious. Then 10 minutes later, one of their 432's which was being towed was removed from the V-drawbar thingy, and then was bumped into IIRC, by another vehicle, This made it roll down a slight incline and smack into the side of a German Civ pop car.

It took 12-15 hours and a mahoosive crane brought in specially to lift the wagon and place it back on the flatbed. It attracted hundreds of local sightseers watching the useless Brits sorting their shit out.

HE117

LE
OK, hopefully someone on here can help with some research I am doing. Does anyone remember or have experience of any fires, explosions or accidents in Chieftain? I have heard of a double fatal in 1962 but cannot find anything relating to it or other accidents.
Why? Is it quiet at Public Order Lawyers today?

Nosferatu

Swinger
Numerous fatal accidents in Batus. I, in late 70s, QRIH Battleroup in leaguer, stop running back not fitted. Loader, persec permits that his family came from Norfolk, was crouched behind the breech when the handbrake of the Chieftain in front failed. In a totally freak chain of events, front MBT rolls slowly back, NBC pack connects with Chieftain barrel pushing it back unil the breech ran out and crushed the head of the unfortunate loader.
Tragic turn of events.

Numerous fatal accidents in Batus.
Slight thread drift.

We were told that there's always a fatality every Med Man. This put the fear of life into a new shiny Trooper such as myself.

So when a few days in before we hit the prairie, a REME Cfn got a lift back from Med Hat by a Ralston local whom was severely pissed and rolled his pick-up into a ditch killing the Cfn, I thought, 'That's a bonus, our killed quota has been filled, I'll be safe on the ex' 8-O

TamH70

MIA
A while before I did my only tour in BATUS - trying and somehow succeeding with a team effort as part of the Ops Room staff - in stopping the lemmings, I mean the OpFor and BG spods from killing themselves on the roads due to speeding and their own stupidity, a Challenger 2 went barreling over what we in Scotland call a banking - very steep slope. This was at high speed in the dark, with the commander standing in his hatch like Rommel. According to the DS that showed us the "after" picture, with the Chally's gun embedded in the ground, the crash killed the commander.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I used to sit in the back of Saracen and Sultan ACVs monitoring the 3 Armd Div Command Net. I lost count of the number of NODUFFs I heard where a Merc (always a Merc) ploughed into the back of a Chieftain on a remote, hilly, wooded road and four young men were killed.

I reckon Merc drivers believed they were invincible until that instant when they learned that Chieftain beats Merc.

I used to sit in the back of Saracen and Sultan ACVs monitoring the 3 Armd Div Command Net. I lost count of the number of NODUFFs I heard where a Merc (always a Merc) ploughed into the back of a Chieftain on a remote, hilly, wooded road and four young men were killed.

I reckon Merc drivers believed they were invincible until that instant when they learned that Chieftain beats Merc.
There was a merc tried overtaking one of our low loaders. It was at night and unfortunately he didn’t see the bit of the blade belonging to the dead CET on the back.

Gave him a nice cabriolet conversion though.

Some time in late 1978, I was Duty Driver at BMH Munster. I was detailed to go to Saltou (?) with the LR Ambulance with a Sgt Medic. We had to collect the body of a TA Doctor who'd been asleep in the back of his LR, it'd been flattened by a Chieftain in the dark. Sorry but, I don't remember who the Chieftain belonged to.

View attachment 434605

Nec Aspera Terrent
On my Rarden course the Welsh Guards instructor told us a dit about his driver diving into a pool with an overturned tank in it and trying to get the crew out. If I remember correctly he said the lad got a gallantry award for it.

Never heard that, and I was on Lionheart, but we weren’t told anything
Yep I was on Lionheart and I also heard nowt. I did hear a tank crew went missing and when they recovered the tank the blokes had kipped underneath it and were brown bread. I was told that they were the final casualties that resulted in it being pulled early.

I also understand the moon is made of cheese, so if anyone can confirm the fatalities re the chiefy being recovered that's another urban legend kicked into the long grass.

1984 (Lion heart? ) Craftsman Recovery Mechanic crushed when loading an ARV onto an Antar.
WTF was a Recy Mech doing guiding an ARV onto an Antar?

Latest Threads