Chieftain accidents

I remember being told half way through Lionheart that a couple of tankers had decided to sleep under their panzer. That it had settled into the earth and they were trapped and crushed.
I never saw anything official about it but TBH I was so wrapped up in my little troop bubble that the government could have fallen and I wouldn’t have known or cared. All I wanted was a decent nights kip and a civvie dump.
That old dit has been going around since 1917.

Last edited:
Dunno but a sandhurst chum of mine took one of the persian princess's cherry....
More info please ... and I’ll pass it on to an old chum (his study at school was next to mine) who was private tutor to the Shah’s rugrats. Wherever the family went, so did he.

Truxx

LE
More info please ... and I’ll pass it on to an old chum (his study at school was next to mine) who was private tutor to the Shah’s rugrats. Wherever the family went, so did he.
Not sure if she were of the Shah - but definitely a Persian princess. She was in the Upper 6th at a school near Ascot - Winkfield Row?

Yokel

LE
Did the Chieftain ever take part in any amphibious exercises, or was it intended solely to fight as part of BOAR? I cannot remember hearing of it being put ashore on a beach, but exercises like that were quite frequent with the preceding Centurion.

My father talks of exercises in the Gulf that involved landing Centurions.

Did the Chieftain ever take part in any amphibious exercises, or was it intended solely to fight as part of BOAR? I cannot remember hearing of it being put ashore on a beach, but exercises like that were quite frequent with the preceding Centurion.

I think part of the design spec was it to be fordable, which might explain the hull design. I don’t think it was ever amphibious.
Just my opinion, but by the era of the Chieftain the penny had dropped regarding how rubbish an AFV is at offensive warfare. The Centurion was designed with a nod to that, but the switch to thicker armour, slower movement and a whopping main armament in the Chieftain tells its own story.
The logistics tail needed for these beasts alone is a bugger to maintain.
Speaking to blokes who used the Centurion, you can see the immediate differences.

Londo

LE

Late 80's or early 90's reading about offloading of chieftains onto a beach during a amphibious exercise in some military magazine . Cant remember any further details apart from it had a few pics .
EDIT
Magazine was called Armed Forces which went out of publication decades ago .

Just my opinion, but by the era of the Chieftain the penny had dropped regarding how rubbish an AFV is at offensive warfare.
I would have thought that the only thing worse than trying to conduct offensive operations with an AFV would be trying it without.

I used to work with a Matelot who did time in the Amphibious Warfare Squadron in the Gulf around 1960 and they dragged around a complete squadron of Cents.

I am going to get beaten on this by others but we used to be Big Mates with Iran and sold them bucket loads of stuff.

Chall y 1 was in fact developed for the Iranians (Kahlid) but cancelled as a result of the revolution.
CR1 was originally Shir Iran, Khalid was CR1 converted for sale to Jordan. The Chieftains in Iraq were sold by UK to Iran, captured by the Iraqis during the war, then after much US/UK buggering around post-2003 ended up with Iranian militias before being refurbed.

Not bad for knackered old Mk 5/3Ps!

Last edited:
I would have thought that the only thing worse than trying to conduct offensive operations with an AFV would be trying it without.
I would think it’s probably ok if you have a lot of tanks and don’t care about the casualty rate. Hence no invasion by the Soviets.
In the words of Sting “the Russians love their children too”.
When warfare gets fully automated, the gods help us all.

Truxx

LE

I have discharged Chieftain from LSL via Mexe (5 wide rafts - 3 MBT per raft). I even have some old cine film of it somewhere which I will try and dig out and convert to digital and post.

Interestingly LSLs were designed around a Sqn of MBT, all their crews and 30 days of spares, ammo and fuel.

ETA beaten to it by @Londo. It would have been about 1985

Last edited:

HMS Anzio?

Truxx

LE
CR1 was originally Shir Iran, Khalid was CR1 converted for sale to Jordan. The Chieftains in Iraq were sold by UK to Iran, captured by the Iraqis during the war, then after much US/UK buggering around post-2003 ended up with Iranian militias before being refurbed.

Not bad for knackered old Mk 3/5s!
You are of course correct. I worked at MVEE for a while when it was FV4030.

There was a loader/operator serving with 15th/19th The Kings Royal Hussars whose nickname was Horace. He resembled a comic character apparently.
He had a stoppage in the browning .50 ranging machine gun and the story goes he bashed it with a lump of iron and managed to ND the weapon and shoot himself in the groin or upper thigh. @AlienFTM may know a bit more.

I have discharged Chieftain from LSL via Mexe (5 wide rafts - 3 MBT per raft). I even have some old cine film of it somewhere which I will try and dig out and convert to digital and post.

Interestingly LSLs were designed around Sqn of MBT, all their crews and 30 days of spares, ammo and fuel.

ETA beaten to it by @Londo. It would have been about 1985
Truxx, I may be a bit dim here, but how many MBT per sqn/ship would that be?

There was a loader/operator serving with 15th/19th The Kings Royal Hussars whose nickname was Horace. He resembled a comic character apparently.
He had a stoppage in the browning .50 ranging machine gun and the story goes he bashed it with a lump of iron and managed to ND the weapon and shoot himself in the groin or upper thigh. @AlienFTM may know a bit more.
It was mentioned before, but most of the injuries were in the turret. Some minor, some very serious. That’s the dangerous bit of the tank. Chieftain wasn’t that fast, but could be fast enough for the inattentive to get hurt. As one trained on the beast, the driver also could be controlled/add to the turret. By which I mean the relationship between the driver and commander was stronger. A bad gear change could mean the commander spill his brew.
CR1 was auto gearboxes, powerful, heavier and much more lethal (for the crew).

Latest Threads