Chieftain accidents

Whilst there were accidents, given the numbers involved, the way we trained and conditions endured serious injuries and deaths were few and far between. During my time I cannot recall any deaths directly attributable to accidents on our regiment's MBTs, as safety staff in BATUS for a season I can only recall one death. Overall I believe we were incredibly lucky.
It was rare to find a Sabre Troop that had the full complement of fingers and thumbs.I was demobbed in '66 and can still see and feel scar on first knuckle of middle finger caused by Cent road wheel slipping off jack.

Where is that pick from? It looks a lot like our little mishap in Wolfenbüttel in post #26.

The CS is the same, were 1st Tp, D Sqn, QOH.
yep you have it, I have a picture somewhere I took the other side of the factory wall destroyed, I'll dig it out, busy night that was.

edit to add the picture
Chieftain through a factory wall.jpg

Last edited:
The part of your memory that recalls frying pan shaped turrets....
A workshop in Germany had recognition posters in the bogs on the back of the doors, to pursue while curling one down. On the T72 poster someone had helpfully added “Red stars on turret”

A workshop in Germany had recognition posters in the bogs on the back of the doors, to pursue while curling one down. On the T72 poster someone had helpfully added “Red stars on turret”
Chinook...this one's different.

I need a lie down.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wasn't an entire TA platoon run over in their harbour by a troop of tanks on Lionheart , or is than an urban myth ?
To Quote Hansard

§ Mr. Cohen
asked the Secretary of State for Defence how many (a) deaths and (b) serious injuries were suffered by participants in Operation Lionheart; and if he will make a statement on the circumstances in each case.

§ Mr. Butler
Three Service personnel died during Exercise Lionheart and details of the circumstances of1116W these cases are given in the interim report on the exercise that has now been placed in the Library of the House. In addition, there were seven serious hospital cases.

I was more than a bit surprised to see these in the back streets of Zeebrugge mid 1970's.
View attachment 435221
I was more than a bit surprised to see a sandy-yellow Chieftain in (IIRC) Umm Qasr in 2004 apparently awaiting backloading to UK. Presumably it was ex-Iranian. My (US) companions all thought it was T-55/T-62.

Can any loggies confirm the return of a Chieftain to UK from Iraq?

I was more than a bit surprised to see a sandy-yellow Chieftain in (IIRC) Umm Qasr in 2004 apparently awaiting backloading to UK. Presumably it was ex-Iranian. My (US) companions all thought it was T-55/T-62.

Can any loggies confirm the return of a Chieftain to UK from Iraq?
Didn't I read somewhere on here, that the Septics took a few back the States and put them on the ranges as targets.

TamH70

MIA
Whilst there were accidents, given the numbers involved, the way we trained and conditions endured serious injuries and deaths were few and far between. During my time I cannot recall any deaths directly attributable to accidents on our regiment's MBTs, as safety staff in BATUS for a season I can only recall one death. Overall I believe we were incredibly lucky.
Where you one of the umpire bods? When l was over there, l didn't envy those who did that job.

ugly

LE
The part of your memory that recalls frying pan shaped turrets....
The problem I had was all Russian tanks looked like they had frying pan turrets, my rule was if it looked like it was going to shoot at me or get too close then I would do something about it possibly including running away

Dryclad91

War Hero
I have recounted this before on another thread, on FTX ex in BAOR we spent the weekend in Coppenbrugge having been well accommodated in the broadest sense of the word departing early on the Mon morning. As we left the town my Tp Sgt (who just happens to be a member of this site) had a gun kit malfunction, resulting in an uncontrolled traverse of the main armament which entered the upstairs window of the house they were passing, catching the curtains and rail in passing. He came to a stop shortly after, gun rear sporting said curtains hanging neatly from his barrel. Just to compound the embarrassment the rest of the Regt proceeded to drive past the unfortunate individual before he could clear the offending chintz monstrosity .
[/QUOTE]
Coppenbrugge………..Thankyou 06, I`ve been trying to remember the name of that village for ages. Your memory still appears to be serving you well..................…….:salut:. Glad there are no photos.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We got our first pictures of T64 acquired by a very brave Brixmis crew. We learned these new tanks and how they differed from T54, T55 and T62.

But all these pictures were collected in a silver birch wood in East Germany. We became as good at identifying silver birch as T64.

Picture comes up, guy at front shouts T64, guy at back shouts silver birch. To this day, I see silver birch, I inwardly shout T64.

Last edited:
Why not? It's a good story!

ULOTC still claims to have broken the last swimming Stolly on BFG, sometime in the late '80s.
They'd be going some since the flotation gear was removed in '81/'82!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
They'd be going some since the flotation gear was removed in '81/'82!
Must have been about 1997 we took our children to visit Caldey Island off Tenby. Way in, the ferry landed at the jetty. Way out, the tide had changed. We all climbed into the back of a Stalwart which swam us out to the ferry and crossdecked.

Latest Threads