Chieftain accidents

Steve811

Swinger
OK, hopefully someone on here can help with some research I am doing. Does anyone remember or have experience of any fires, explosions or accidents in Chieftain? I have heard of a double fatal in 1962 but cannot find anything relating to it or other accidents.

Chieftain, 1962?

OK, hopefully someone on here can help with some research I am doing. Does anyone remember or have experience of any fires, explosions or accidents in Chieftain? I have heard of a double fatal in 1962 but cannot find anything relating to it or other accidents.
Lulworth Range breech explosion in 74 or 75 due to incorrect drills, at least 2 of the turret crew very badly burned.

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
From RTR website.
Chieftain9.jpg

edit..
Think the description was missed/fell off tank bridge during night crossing?

Last edited:
Wasn't an entire TA platoon run over in their harbour by a troop of tanks on Lionheart , or is than an urban myth ?

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
1970's our regiment was moved by rail, on flats, to Southern Germany for an exercise.

First light at a small station or rail yard the orders were for drivers only to get onto the tanks and straight into their drivers seats for unloading.

Another crew member climbed onto the turret and made contact with the overhead catenary and was killed instantly.

I was in my maggot in the waiting room and heard it all.

Wasn't an entire TA platoon run over in their harbour by a troop of tanks on Lionheart , or is than an urban myth ?

The story goes that out on exercise, somewhere in BAOR, some lads set up tentage in a forest- Dried up water course- drainage ditch, take your pick, a squadron of septic tanks rumbling along In the dark, were warned off taking that particular route, the leading tank commander insisted going that way as it was the quickest, and ploughed on, right over a dozen or more sleeping British soldiers. This story has to be over 40 years old, I have no way of knowing if this is true.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Never heard that, and I was on Lionheart, but we weren’t told anything
Can't link from this phone. Just Google fu'd Lion heart deaths and got a Hansard Page. Apparently there were 3 deaths on that exercise.

I was on it as a full screw Recy Mech and attended a slack handful of serious looking accidents, but no deaths.

The Recy Mech I mentioned earlier did die, but wasn't from any of the units I covered.

I was playing "enemy" on Crusader 80 and we spent a very cautious night counting tanks and crews laagered up in a forest near the Barntrup rail head. I blundered into a bivvy area and this seemed to spook a whole squadron into bugging out. It was terrifying as engines thundered, trees came down and massive shapes came out of the dark from all uber der platz. I thought I'd killed us all and never bothered the cavalry ever again.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Didn't a Padre get run over in BATUS after pitching his basha on the wrong side of the vehicle?

Latest Threads