Chief of the Defence Staff Speech to the Royal United Services Institute

Oh, this will be fun to watch.

slick

LE
We are striving to do better in every aspect of our leadership. That includes reflecting the diverse nation we serve. Because if we don’t, then quite simply, we risk looking ridiculous. This is not about wokefulness. It is about woefulness. The woefulness of too few women. The woefulness of not reflecting the ethnic, religious and cognitive diversity of our nation.
We are making progress to better reflect society, particularly in terms of more ambitious targets, more diverse recruitment, more women in senior roles, talent programmes, uniform changes, complaints reform and so on. But we will do more, do it more quickly and more openly.
You can see the direction this is going....

pretty much as anyone who followed 'The Trinity' in NCHQ over the past few years would have expected.
It’s going to be a shock elsewhere.

There’s a good two deck buzz Nick Hine has put his hat in the ring for VCDS…

green_slime

War Hero
It’s going to be a shock elsewhere.

There’s a good two deck buzz Nick Hine has put his hat in the ring for VCDS…
that would be a shocker of an appointment given the morale vacuum that he has created in NCHQ. he might well be very proud of his neurologist-diversity but that is no excuse for the lack of emotional intelligence needed at the top of an organisation in change.

that would be a shocker of an appointment given the morale vacuum that he has created in NCHQ. he might well be very proud of his neurologist-diversity but that is no excuse for the lack of emotional intelligence needed at the top of an organisation in change.
Having been in NCHQ (briefly) in the pre-Hine era, I’d note Officers with much more EQ have come stuck on consent and evade by the majority of their subordinates. The “morale vacuum” might well be caused by people being held accountable for their failure to deliver…

Short dit - I was in NCHQ for a brief period in 2012, during which I was part of a team involved in cutting staff numbers. I return in 2019 to find an entire team everyone had agreed to cutting in 2012, was still trundling along solely on inertia and clever footed 1*s avoiding being held to account. When that sort of stuff was celebrated, I’m not surprised they didn’t like Hine.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Army fiefdoms cope with CDS turning his gaze on them…

Yokel

LE
Some snippets:

But it is now clear that the last twenty years weren’t the end of history. At best, it was a pause. And now the play button – or perhaps fast forward – is activated. The state is back with a vengeance. Indeed, for our competitors, it never went away. Classic geopolitical theorists are in vogue once again: Mackinder’s World Island competes with Mahan’s World Oceans. Autocracies confront democracies.

I can remember a time when everyone said the era of state on state conflict was over.

Russia’s behaviour is a threat to our values and interests. Iran could soon join North Korea in posing a nuclear and ballistic missile threat to the UK and our allies. Instability in the Western Balkans is surging again. China is challenging international norms of behaviour: whether freedom of navigation, economic intimidation or wolf-warrior diplomacy. And whether we like it or not, our withdrawal from Afghanistan is grist to the mill for those who subscribe to a narrative around the decline of the West.

Russia first!

As First Sea Lord, the Navy Board and I benefitted from the Defence Secretary’s direction to simply ‘get our ships and submarines working and at sea’. We need to adopt that urgency and focus across the whole of Defence. The Prime Minister has specifically directed the Defence Secretary to: * ensure the long-term viability of our nuclear deterrent; * modernise Defence; * improve procurement and project management; * deliver the National Shipbuilding Strategy; * and deliver the Armed Forces Bill.

chimera

LE

chimera

LE
Some snippets:

But it is now clear that the last twenty years weren’t the end of history. At best, it was a pause. And now the play button – or perhaps fast forward – is activated. The state is back with a vengeance. Indeed, for our competitors, it never went away. Classic geopolitical theorists are in vogue once again: Mackinder’s World Island competes with Mahan’s World Oceans. Autocracies confront democracies.

I can remember a time when everyone said the era of state on state conflict was over.

Russia’s behaviour is a threat to our values and interests. Iran could soon join North Korea in posing a nuclear and ballistic missile threat to the UK and our allies. Instability in the Western Balkans is surging again. China is challenging international norms of behaviour: whether freedom of navigation, economic intimidation or wolf-warrior diplomacy. And whether we like it or not, our withdrawal from Afghanistan is grist to the mill for those who subscribe to a narrative around the decline of the West.

Russia first!

As First Sea Lord, the Navy Board and I benefitted from the Defence Secretary’s direction to simply ‘get our ships and submarines working and at sea’. We need to adopt that urgency and focus across the whole of Defence. The Prime Minister has specifically directed the Defence Secretary to: * ensure the long-term viability of our nuclear deterrent; * modernise Defence; * improve procurement and project management; * deliver the National Shipbuilding Strategy; * and deliver the Armed Forces Bill.
i would go back to the section before the start of your quote. He is bang on the money that those of us that studied and lived the "Unipolar Decade" and in particular Fukuyama's semimal 2004 "Governance and World Order in the 21st Century" rather than his more quoted "End of History" thought that perhaps there was another direction of travel. It seems though that coming up to two decades on, we are heading into a new inter-State "Cold War," albeit with the actors lined up in a different order.

Last edited:

chimera

LE
It is not in the speech - but "the simple integrity of claiming expenses" is - so maybe implied

Archie
Not sure that CEA needs to be addressed in a speech to a RUSI audience focused on strat/mil policy for the next decade?

But then of couse this is ARRSE!

Not sure that CEA needs to be addressed in a speech to a RUSI audience focused on strat/mil policy for the next decade?

But then of couse this is ARRSE!
It was a very not Strat-Mil policy for the next decade speech; it was a (probable) rehashing of his interview pitch for CDS. I suspect the audience were the collective General and Air Officers.

Maybe a platoon or two of Guardswomen permanently on PDs would be an excellent suggestion?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Having read the speech, it reads 'We're going to do more, with less (soldiers); and kiss goodbye to CEA.

Latest Threads