Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter launches the Integrated Operating Concept

slick

LE
Sending a few hundred soldiers here or there won't achieve anything apart from make Britain look pathetic and weak.
I seem to recall one Afghan district governor who when he heard the Brits were on the way, thought he was going to have the biggest gang on the block to tackle the local taliban menace. He was a bit put out when only 300 lads turned up, and only 100 of them were teeth.

I seem to recall one Afghan district governor who when he heard the Brits were on the way, thought he was going to have the biggest gang on the block to tackle the local taliban menace. He was a bit put out when only 300 lads turned up, and only 100 of them were teeth.
Influence operations.

I bet that didn't half send a message nobody in the target audience would misunderstand.

Truxx

LE
Whilst I'm not one to stop a Lord High Grand Poo-Bah Black Button fest, I'd simply point out that the doctrine behind the IOpC speech provides a fairly handy and significant framework.

Absolutely understand the cynicism (and don't forget that a lot of this is Army dickdancing around the IR and trying desparately to come up with yet another new plan - Army 2020, Army 2020R, Vanguard Readiness Orders, Integrated Combat Teams), but it's broader than that.
And I would say, based on my 2 pen 'north stated previously, that there is nothing new whatsoever (other than a bunch of buzzwords and a snappy three letter acronym) that was not happening back in the pre- PJHQ 1990s.

What has really changed is that back then the 3 services stood a chance of enacting some of it, whereas now, as @Dread rightly concludes, we do not stand a cat in hells chance.

I would go further and suggest that Carter has mis-used his CDS position to overly present a frankly lacklustre army case at a time when it looks like the unsexiest of the 3 services.

And I would say, based on my 2 pen 'north stated previously, that there is nothing new whatsoever (other than a bunch of buzzwords and a snappy three letter acronym) that was not happening back in the pre- PJHQ 1990s.

What has really changed is that back then the 3 services stood a chance of enacting some of it, whereas now, as @Dread rightly concludes, we do not stand a cat in hells chance.

I would go further and suggest that Carter has mis-used his CDS position to overly present a frankly lacklustre army case at a time when it looks like the unsexiest of the 3 services.
Track and sift my posting history on this site over the last (fvck me has it really been more than 17 years?!!) and you will find I have, one way or another, been one of a number of Cassandras for this state of affairs.

More interesting, I'd suggest would be to sift the reactions to our collective effort over time, and identify the True Believers naysaying agin that view, and see where their publicly expressed opinions lie* now.

=====

* Either or both meanings of the word ^~

Euclid

War Hero
Track and sift my posting history on this site over the last (fvck me has it really been more than 17 years?!!) and you will find I have, one way or another, been one of a number of Cassandras for this state of affairs.

More interesting, I'd suggest would be to sift the reactions to our collective effort over time, and identify the True Believers naysaying agin that view, and see where their publicly expressed opinions lie* now.

=====

* Either or both meanings of the word ^~
The British Army record in identifying and selecting those best suited to high command is not good. Too many issues and requirements conflated. Field commander, administrator, technocrat, strategist, policy adviser?

Ambition, confidence, entitlement, showmanship, and arrogance trumping more considered officers every time.

I did okay playing the game and climbing the greasy pole - better men than me didn’t, many far worse got higher up it.

The British Army record in identifying and selecting those best suited to high command is not good. Too many issues and requirements conflated. Field commander, administrator, technocrat, strategist, policy adviser?

Ambition, confidence, entitlement, showmanship, and arrogance trumping more considered officers every time.

I did okay playing the game and climbing the greasy pole - better men than me didn’t, many far worse got higher up it.
I recognize that summary.

It's the story of an organization being driven down by the very folk who are determined to climb up it.

Alamo

LE

That’s one of the best posts I have read on this site. What’s particularly frustrating is that you frequently inflict them on the rest of us.

Square this circle, “everyone will be busier” and work/life balance in order to retain personnel

Well, the RN has done this by (trying) to slash the HQ and send everyone back to sea so that we can double crew nearly everything. It'll be interesting to see if it actually works...

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
So does this document fit the threats to our capabilities?

Have we suddenly acquired a massive army from somewhere?
It would seem so:

This is a Carterism highly reminicent of his 'full orchestra' concept of an Army that produces that one massive fighting component, an armoured Division, to match Carrier Strike and Whatever the RAF hangs its hat on next.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/default/files/field/field_document/20150217QBritishArmy.pdf

Of course it was a rearranging the deck chair exercise dressed up in shiny stuff as is this. Take some of the catch phrases and apply to what we have rather than something we might get and the truthspeak becomes clear.

Last edited:

Euclid

War Hero
Unfortunately his idea of a full orchestra is the warfighting equivalent of a handful of bugles platoons with a couple of drums and bagpipes bringing up the rear.

With a whole percussion section of 4* on a hill somewhere in a safe country 'banging on the bongos like chimpanzees and the CDS and CGS sitting on white war horses in the middle of Whitehall smashing the kettle drums completly out of synch with each other and the rest of the world.

TBH I think at that level it’s a case of personality rather than Service. Problem is the sorts of personality the FieldArmy produces.

According to Chris Ellison in High Command, the best CDS of recent years who knew how to schmooze CS/Politicos and could do the job very well was Charles Guthrie.

Current CGS has same sort of pedigree....