Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter launches the Integrated Operating Concept

slick

LE
The Prime Minister I think has set a clear vision for the future of Global Britain. One where the UK is considered an outwardly looking, internationalist country, that acts as a burden-sharing and problem-solving nation, making a tangible contribution to tackling diplomatic and security challenges in our neighbourhood and beyond.
Isn`t that the sort of thinking that got Britain involved in Iraq and Afghanistan.... that ended well. I`m glad to know that as a nation we have the assets and the treasure necessary to fulfil the tasks......

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
My two pennorth.

Had he been, say, MA to the DCDS(C) or even the ACDS(Ops Sy) instead of MA/ACGS in the 1990s and not sneaking down spine 3 for a crafty fag at every opportunity he might have got enough of a proper integrated ops foundation to ensure that he avoided putting his name to that buzzword-bingo bilge.

Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter delivers a speech on the Integrated Operating Concept at Policy Exchange

Continue reading...
Just in case Old Nick bothers to read these responses:

Yah-
-fvcking -​
- hoo.​
I think I speak for all of us mere mortals who have learned over time to be astonished by the capacity of the Grown-Up community (to whom such words are addressed) to misconstrue a familiarity with current buzzwords as an indicator of the speaker's capacity to deliver results.

In short - led by the likes of Old Nick :

Last edited:
Just in case Old Nick bothers to read these responses:

Yah-
-fvcking -​
- hoo.​
I think I speak for all of us mere mortals who have learned over time to be astonished by the capacity of the Grown-Up community (to whom such words are addressed) to misconstrue a familarity with current buzzwords as an indicator of the speaker's capacity to deliver results.

In short - led by the likes of Old Nick :

ye of little faith...

not only has Nick got Putins Army quaking in its boots with his stern 200 man demonstration of resolve, now, he‘s going to put the fear of God into the Peoples Liberation Army.

just you watch, as we speak, the lights are burning bright into the night in the Forbidden City as Emperor Xi considers this fateful new dagger held to his throat.

ye of little faith...

not only has Nick got Putins Army quaking in its boots with his stern 200 man demonstration of resolve, now, he‘s going to put the fear of God into the Peoples Liberation Army.

just you watch, as we speak, the lights are burning bright into the night in the Forbidden City as Emperor Xi considers this fateful new dagger held to his throat.
A-Men to that, wise one.

LD17

Old-Salt
He would have done if he had the foresight to issue them with THAT rifle. It kept 3rd Shock Army and the 'Group of Soviet Armies in Germany' at bay for decades.

“The British Army should be a projectile fired from THAT RIFLE” Major General Carton de Wiart, late 49 Para.

THAT rifle. It kept 3rd Shock Army and the 'Group of Soviet Armies in Germany' at bay for decades.
Yet the Berlin Wall remained in place, nor did the Soviet Union collapse and withdraw it's army (and all its camp followers) to live in tents in the downwind hazard area of the Chernobyl disaster, until SA80 came into service.

Good thing that particular cat stayed in the bag a while . . . .

So the U.K. believes proxy wars are a new thing and only the bad guys get involved?

those same bad guys are the only ones employing contractors?

think there was also a mention of international law in context of IHL

Dread

LE
From his public pronouncements, to talking to friends still serving (including a couple of 1*), there is only one unescapable conclusion about Gen Carter: the man is a deluded bullying twát with either an extremely limited grasp on reality, or a snake desperate for a lordship. Sending a few hundred soldiers here or there won't achieve anything apart from make Britain look pathetic and weak.

The current Field Army is now under 67,000 strong. That's including all the Phase 2 recruits. It has the capability to deploy 1 airborne brigade quickly (within a couple of weeks), and of the remaining brigades, it would take months (for each brigade) to 'reanimate' their vehicles out of long-term storage (please don't use the word 'care' because there is none). According to the annual survey, morale in the Army is not brilliant (to say the least).

What am I talking about? As I understand it (and very happy to be proved wrong), most of the MBTs, AS90s and MLRS are in central storage (under this amazing 'whole fleet management' bullshit which was probably the FSB's greatest ever coup against the UK). The idiots who thought this was a 'good idea' forgot the lessons of FH70 and Chieftain: these pieces of equipment need to be used, and used regularly, in order for them to stay in good running order. By now, nearly all the hydraulic systems will have degraded to such an extent that pack and turret lifts and serious work will need to be done on almost all of them to get them back to a deployable state.

Euclid

War Hero
So the U.K. believes proxy wars are a new thing and only the bad guys get involved?

those same bad guys are the only ones employing contractors?

think there was also a mention of international law in context of IHL
That Carter chose to quote ‘Wagner Group’ in his ill conceived speech is an indication of the foundation of sand on which this bag of bolloxs policy is built.

That particular Group had its arse handed to it in Mozambique and in Libya in the last 12 months courtesy of the locals on both occasions.

Or maybe Cater has deliberately ‘sexed up’ his speech. Shirley not?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
From his public pronouncements, to talking to friends still serving (including a couple of 1*), there is only one unescapable conclusion about Gen Carter: the man is a deluded bullying twát with either an extremely limited grasp on reality, or a snake desperate for a lordship. Sending a few hundred soldiers here or there won't achieve anything apart from make Britain look pathetic and weak.

The current Field Army is now under 67,000 strong. That's including all the Phase 2 recruits. It has the capability to deploy 1 airborne brigade quickly (within a couple of weeks), and of the remaining brigades, it would take months (for each brigade) to 'reanimate' their vehicles out of long-term storage (please don't use the word 'care' because there is none). According to the annual survey, morale in the Army is not brilliant (to say the least).

What am I talking about? As I understand it (and very happy to be proved wrong), most of the MBTs, AS90s and MLRS are in central storage (under this amazing 'whole fleet management' bullshit which was probably the FSB's greatest ever coup against the UK). The idiots who thought this was a 'good idea' forgot the lessons of FH70 and Chieftain: these pieces of equipment need to be used, and used regularly, in order for them to stay in good running order. By now, nearly all the hydraulic systems will have degraded to such an extent that pack and turret lifts and serious work will need to be done on almost all of them to get them back to a deployable state.

Amen

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The idiots who thought this was a 'good idea'
. . . . were the Executive Committee of the Army Board (vintage 1999, if memory serves), who launched the entire programme in order to save money, starting by not actually having a budget for the whole shebang.

What could possibly go wrong?​

Euclid

War Hero
. . . . were the Executive Committee of the Army Board (vintage 1999, if memory serves), who launched the entire programme in order to save money, starting by not actually having a budget for the whole shebang.

What could possibly go wrong?​
It’s okay, Carter ran it past his Senior Enlisted Advisor who said it was awesome. ‘The most awesome strategy ever. No one does awesome strategy like you Sir.

I’ll send a tweet right now telling everyone how awesome it is and that I’ll read it everyday just after I do my mindfulness session’.

That Carter chose to quote ‘Wagner Group’ in his ill conceived speech is an indication of the foundation of sand on which this bag of bolloxs policy is built.

That particular Group had its arse handed to it in Mozambique and in Libya in the last 12 months courtesy of the locals on both occasions.

Or maybe Cater has deliberately ‘sexed up’ his speech. Shirley not?

The more I hear, the more I have the awful feeling he thinks this is the ‘Wagner Group’
1601540657695.jpeg

(Photo credit Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

Latest Threads