Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter extended in post

The Prime Minister has asked Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter, to continue in his role until the end of November.

Continue reading...

Stibbon

Old-Salt
"Cut and run" springs to mind ... :rolleyes:

Somebody has to be blamed for the negative reaction to bits of the Integrated Review...

You let the soon-to-be-going CDS take the blame, leaving the new CDS - be that 1SL, CGS, CAS, VCDS or whoever - to be seen as 'clearing up Carter's mess' (if the review gets negative press) or 'implementing Boris's brave new vision for the armed forces (if it gets good publicity). You then kick CDS upstairs to the Lords.

Remember that the same thing happened with Stirrup - he was meant to be out before the 2010 SDSR, but the coalition, noting that he had received loads of criticism from Max Hastings (who believes CDS should always be a soldier), realised that he'd soak up a fair amount of the flak - so the deletion of Harrier (and thus CVS capability) became a fiendish crab plot by CDS, rather than Fox suddenly realising that having only two Harrier squadrons vice five Tornado squadrons left him with the choice of having to explain we'd have no assets to intervene anywhere else if required, or we had to accept that the commitment to Afghanistan would fall over (granted, this had to be explained to him by Stirrup in a sort of corollary to 'No, Dougal. These are small. Those are far away..' manner).

It's either CDS's last duty being to act as a firebreak for Wallace and Boris rather than seeing the almost immediate stitching up of the new bod, or it means that they can't agree on who the next one should be - it isn't impossible that someone's had the idea that, say, Rich Knighton (that would be a wild idea, almost Cummings-like in its disruptive nature) or Ben Key should be promoted into the job and is now running aggressively with this idea, causing the PM some confusion...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Somebody has to be blamed for the negative reaction to bits of the Integrated Review...

You let the soon-to-be-going CDS take the blame, leaving the new CDS - be that 1SL, CGS, CAS, VCDS or whoever - to be seen as 'clearing up Carter's mess' (if the review gets negative press) or 'implementing Boris's brave new vision for the armed forces (if it gets good publicity). You then kick CDS upstairs to the Lords.

Remember that the same thing happened with Stirrup - he was meant to be out before the 2010 SDSR, but the coalition, noting that he had received loads of criticism from Max Hastings (who believes CDS should always be a soldier), realised that he'd soak up a fair amount of the flak - so the deletion of Harrier (and thus CVS capability) became a fiendish crab plot by CDS, rather than Fox suddenly realising that having only two Harrier squadrons vice five Tornado squadrons left him with the choice of having to explain we'd have no assets to intervene anywhere else if required, or we had to accept that the commitment to Afghanistan would fall over (granted, this had to be explained to him by Stirrup in a sort of corollary to 'No, Dougal. These are small. Those are far away..' manner).

It's either CDS's last duty being to act as a firebreak for Wallace and Boris rather than seeing the almost immediate stitching up of the new bod, or it means that they can't agree on who the next one should be - it isn't impossible that someone's had the idea that, say, Rich Knighton (that would be a wild idea, almost Cummings-like in its disruptive nature) or Ben Key should be promoted into the job and is now running aggressively with this idea, causing the PM some confusion...
Rich Knighton? An air engineer as CDS? More chance of a unicorn being appointed.

Have to say I wasn’t too impressed with his performance on the armour debate with HCDC but then nobody did well there.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
That's why I said a wild idea... but it's the sort of 'disruptive' thinking Cummings liked, and I'm not sure that Ms Symonds has quite broken Boris's interest in that sort of thing yet.
And much good it did Cummings!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Only because he failed to realise that given a choice between him or Carrie, there was only going to be one winner...
Yup - you’d have to be very odd indeed to choose him over her!

Rich Knighton? An air engineer as CDS? More chance of a unicorn being appointed.
Unfortunately; Rich could really break the mould, but I think there are too many entrenched single-service and joint sacred cows to be slaughtered before that would ever be allowed to happen. Top stude on ACSC7; king of the hill is quite another.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately; Rich could really break the mould, but I think there are too many entrenched single-service and joint sacred cows to be slaughtered before that would ever be allowed to happen. Top stude on ACSC7; king of the hill is quite another.
Ref your last - I should hope so, being top student in the poisonous Staff College environment is the last indicator of greatness I would hope.

Ref your last - I should hope so, being top student in the poisonous Staff College environment is the last indicator of greatness I would hope.

You obviously don't know Rich: the only thing poisonous about him is his dad-dancing.

Dread

LE
(Cynic mode) Given that the rumours are that the Treasury MoD want to reduce the size of the Army by 20,000 soldiers, surely extending Gen Carter's tenure is a great way of achieving that without having to go through any of that expensive business of paying people to leave: they'll just quit in disgust. (/Cynic mode)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You obviously don't know Rich: the only thing poisonous about him is his dad-dancing.
I do know him. I can see how it reads but I didn’t mean he was poisonous.

"I am delighted that General Sir Nick Carter will remain as Chief of Defence Staff during this critical time for Defence. His experience and expertise are central to the modernisation of how Defence operates and his leadership implementing the Integrated Review will ensure the men and women of our Armed Forces are best prepared to counter the threats of tomorrow."

Really? In 8 bloody months, this should be interesting....

"I am delighted that General Sir Nick Carter will remain as Chief of Defence Staff during this critical time for Defence. His experience and expertise are central to the modernisation of how Defence operates and his leadership implementing the Integrated Review will ensure the men and women of our Armed Forces are best prepared to counter the threats of tomorrow."

Really? In 8 bloody months, this should be interesting....

Pass the hemlock, Socrates.

Latest Threads