Chief of Staff - Job Description

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Or do you mean Chief Staff Officer? Otherwise the Chief of Naval Staff is 1SL, you could ring him up and ask him.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Chief Staff Officer and Chief of Staff are similar roles and JDP 003 and 005 give the more detailed answer (why does no one but me read our own doctrine? - JDP 4 Understanding anyone????).

(why does no one but me read our own doctrine? - JDP 4 Understanding anyone????).
The British write some of the best doctrine in the world; it is fortunate
that their officers do not read it.
Attributed to Colonel (later Field Marshal) Erwin Rommel

There's no Job Description of a CoS in JDP 3-00 or 5-00; there is a description of what they do in the Estimate process, but not in the rest of the cat herding time. It doesn't matter, I've found one now!

How’s about this for a starter, obviously there will be nuances for each different job and people can feel free to add as they see fit:
· Principal staff officer in the HQ
· Responsible for implementing the decisions of the commander
· Directs, coordinates, prioritises and supervises all activities of the HQ staff and ensures that the best and most timely staff work is produced
· Formulates and announces policies for the general operations of the staff, provides priorities, general guidance and advice to subordinates
· Ensures that all published instructions are in accordance with in place policies
· Directs such investigations as may be required within his field of responsibility
Additional responsibilities
· Legal authority held to sign of behalf of the commander
· Budget authority held, what level and authority to sign off – limits etc
· Authority to sign on behalf of the commander for LOAs, MOU, Purchasing contracts and employment contracts
· Message release authority for matters affecting the HQ

Not an exhaustive list by any means but something to build on taking in consideration advice on previous posts.

Latest Threads