Chief Justice Rehnquist dead at 80

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cheesypoptart, Sep 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ha! Shotgun Rehnquist, got there first.

Two empty seats on the U.S. Supreme Court - that'll change things.

What do the Yanks among us think?
  2. Chief Justice Rehnquist was a great man and a great American. He will be missed. Rest in peace.
  3. Great loss! The Chief Justice was a great man and a great mind, thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.

Not sure I understand you "Ha" or your shotgun statement. Is a bit odd and maybe lost in translation, but personally I find a "Ha" in announcement of the death of a person slightly repugnant.
  4. If Bush can get some conservatives in there, we'll see some changes.
  5. How tragic.
  6. Yeh like an end to the seperation between church and state
  7. Is no such thing written in the Constitution, is a creation by the Supreme court. Your moronic statement actually proved yank60's point. 8O
  8. Religion has no role in provision of state services. End of story. If the US Supreme Court insisted on a judicial seperation, then they'd good reason, and still do. Religion is spiritual, and basicly stays private. Politics is about power, and should stay public.

While you might be very aware of religion, you might be less aware of the damage religious inspired meddling: From 'Intellegent design' whatever that means, to preventing sex education in secondary schools, to preventing condoms being sold, to criminalising anything that religious nutters believe is wrong.- Divorce, etc. Keep religion in the home and church by all means possible, but not the court or government.

There are some changes needed: Like some roleback in Abortion law seems needed, along with more limitations on death penalty. For the same reasons: Right to life. Maybe increased givt funding for religious schools in deprived areas, for the social good they provide.

The only thing worse that a religious fanatic, is an organised religious fanatic with power.

About Chief Rehnquist: Made many decisions, and if everybody agreed with every one of them, there'd be something wrong.
  9. Proof positive that sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
  10. Nah, just not on Americans :)
  11. I agree changes need to be made in capital punishment. I think we should bring back hanging.

12. My guess is that Congress is going to come to a grinding halt pretty soon. The democrats might have gritted their teeth and let Roberts through but the thought of two conservatives being appointed by Bush will not sit well with Hilary and her colleagues. They can't stop it happening so their only choice is let it pass and be seen as weak by their myopic supporters or to bring the Senate to an undignified crawl and block everything they can.

What a boost for the clowns in Kansas and the rest of the states who can finally see the teaching of evolution banned. Probably go back to having pi = 4 as well.

Look no further than the mess that was made of handling Katrina for what "conservative values" means to the people at the bottom of the pile in the USA - i.e. the bottom 98% by income!
  13. 4 pies sounds good to me. Us fat inbreds likes our pies.
  14. Interresting move on Bush's part "renominating" Roberts to Chief Justice today.

The Dems in the Senate were already saying he would pass and they would leave the real fight for Rehnquist's successor. Seeing that O'Connor has not yet retired and offered to stay on until her vacancy was filled, Roberts can be confirmed and the President can then go about the business of filling O'Connor's seat.

The dems are reeling right now over this move by Bush; to obstruct Roberts now would show them for the @sses they are.

BTW: The Chief Justice position is a ceremonial and administrative position. The Chief Justice has no more weight when it comes to deciding issues then the other 8 Justices, he too only has a single vote. Be interresting to see how the Dems handle this, I'm sure it will be quite amussing..:D

Out flanked once again by a Texan, all those uppity east and west coast liberals must be just furious :lol:
  15. None too bright are you? Backward countries should ban it and join the ranks of the (partially) civilised. Still, you may get your wish if America continues hurtling towards absolute ignorance.