Chief Goes to Washington

I was amazed to receive this in the mail recently
You have been nominated to attend the National Youth Leadership Forum on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy (NYLF/DID) in Washington, D.C.

You should be proud of this outstanding achievement.

Your nomination is based on your exemplary academic performance at Wilson High School in Portland, OR.

The mission of the Forum you will attend is to recognize you, and America's most outstanding high school scholars and prepare you for a possible future career in national security, intelligence and diplomacy.

You will be joining 350 other high-achieving students from across America for an extraordinary time of discovery.

You will hear from and personally meet with America's top policymakers and experts in the fields of national security, intelligence and diplomacy.

You will be welcomed at our nation's most technologically advanced military facilities and policy centers.

You will go behind-the-scenes of America's diplomatic and national security policy-making structure to experience "hands-on" how America plans for peace and prepares for crisis.

You will examine the most advanced military hardware and weaponry.

You will learn about the latest intelligence strategies.

You will meet the decision-makers, diplomats and military leaders who are charged with keeping our nation safe.

You will hear about how America is conducting the war against terrorism.

You will learn what has been achieved so far in the war on terror, and what America plans in the coming months and years to protect our nation from terrorist attacks.

You will understand why the war on terrorism is so different from past wars, and the complex challenge the terrorist threat presents to our intelligence and military leadership.

Please be sure to submit your enrollment directly online or complete and return the Enrollment Application I've enclosed for you.

I encourage you to enroll immediately because space in the Forum is strictly limited and enrollments are accepted in order of arrival.

Once all the spaces are filled, enrollment is closed and you'll miss one of the great experiences of a lifetime.

So I urge you to share this material with your parents as soon as you possibly can.

By accepting your nomination, you will be one of a select group of high school scholars chosen to attend the Forum.

Many of our nation's aspiring national leaders participate in the Forum on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy.

Scholars are selected to participate in the National Youth Leadership Forum through several sources, including:

-Teachers, guidance counselors, youth organization advisors and participating institutions.
-Alumni of the National Youth Leadership Forum.
-Voluntary pre-college classroom surveys such as the Student Search Service program sponsored by the College Board and the National Research Center for College and University Admissions’ Talent Identification Program.

Nominees must have a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or above.

Your nomination and participation in the Forum on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy will add to your academic profile as you strive for admission to the college or university of your choice, and ultimately a possible leadership career in America’s national security, intelligence or diplomatic structure.

At this six-day Forum, you will also form friendships and relationships that will last a lifetime.

You will study and learn from some of America’s most distinguished leaders in the national security, intelligence and diplomatic fields.

You will be inspired to strive even harder for your dreams.

Upon completion of this six-day Forum, you will receive a Certificate of Achievement officially commemorating your participation in the National Youth Leadership Forum on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy.

You will certainly want to preserve your Certificate of Achievement as part of your academic record.

The National Youth Leadership Forum on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy is educational, inspirational and motivational.

You will make lasting friendships with future colleagues.

And you will see the world of national security, intelligence and diplomacy from a perspective unlike any other.

Our purpose with this Forum: To inspire America's most outstanding future leaders to consider policy-making and leadership careers in national security, intelligence and diplomacy.

This six-day experience will be one of those unique events that may help shape the future course of your life, even if you ultimately choose another field.

This will be an enjoyable, educational experience you will carry with you for the rest of your life.

Kevin, please share this invitation and the enclosed material with your family.

To secure your space right away, enroll directly online at www.nylf.org/did or complete and return the Enrollment Application in the postage paid envelope provided no later than the deadline date.

Space is very limited and the Forums fill up quickly.

Also, we are unable to process incomplete enrollments, so be sure to provide all of the information requested whether you enroll directly online or complete and return your Enrollment Application via mail.

Be sure to read all the information on the back of the Enrollment Application.

Again, congratulations on your nomination.

You have distinguished yourself as a standout among your peers in Wilson High School and, indeed, throughout OR.

We look forward to seeing you.
Apparently I'll be visiting the Pentagon on this little trip. Interesting indeed. Is there anything that any of you would like me to look into when I'm there?

moving-target-survivor said:
Mission: steal something for the ARRSE museum
What do you have in mind? :twisted:

NYLF/DID said:
To secure your space right away, enroll directly online at www.nylf.org/did or complete and return the Enrollment Application in the postage paid envelope provided no later than the deadline date.

Space is very limited and the Forums fill up quickly.
Be careful what you sign! Is this like "State Institution of the Month" club? Will you be trying to cancel when your being press-ganged for a 'ridealong' on an ATF raid four months down the line? :D

moving-target-survivor said:
err...your name is Kevin!

Kevin, please share this invitation and the enclosed material with your family.
that childishness aside, good work fella! :D

Mission: steal something for the ARRSE museum

We knew his name was Kevin, but now we know which school he goes to as well!

Gremlin said:
Firstly congrats Chief, having read some of your posts it is well deserved.

In regards as to what would look good in the mess trophy room -there is only one option:

The Declaration of Independence
:lol: That may be tough

Perhaps you'll settle for George S Patton's Thompson SMG?

edit: Nevermind, that's at westpoint

The wooden owl.

crabtastic said:
The wooden owl.
What's that :?
bovvyblonde said:
Well done, Kevin and congratulations. But, hey, that original notification you posted is just sooooooo damned, fcuking American!!!!!!!! I am flabberghasted.
Yeah I know, I was chuckling as I read it :wink:

bovvyblonde said:
But, hey, that original notification you posted is just sooooooo damned, fcuking American!!!!!!!! I am flabberghasted.
Yeah - was a little OTT.

congrats to the Chief though.. am sure it will be a blast. well maybe not, but you can but hope.

Chief_Joseph said:
crabtastic said:
The wooden owl.
What's that :?
bovvyblonde said:
Well done, Kevin and congratulations. But, hey, that original notification you posted is just sooooooo damned, fcuking American!!!!!!!! I am flabberghasted.
Yeah I know, I was chuckling as I read it :wink:
In the open area in the middle of the Pentagon there's an eating area. It's quite nice, actually- very park-like. When the building was first completed they had a problem with sky rats. Accordingly the DOD, in their infinite wisdom, put a contract out to tender to eradicate the problem, worth a few thousand dollars (not an inconsiderable sum in the late 40s/early 50s).

Legend has it that an enterprising 13yr old kid sent in an owl that he carved out of wood to scare the pidgeons away. They put it up, it did the job and the DOD set a new record for the amount paid for a piece of sculpture by someone still in middle school. More importantly, it set a precedent for paying over the odds that continues to this day for every single piece of kit that goes throught the PPBS. :D

how about collecting a shaved chimp pickled in brandy?

SC

edited for being dyslexic!

edited to add. well done lad! remember your friends when you reach the top!!

Or the master plan for success in Iraq? We don't need details, just some credible evicence that they actually have a plan.

Once you get that, there's the The Ark of the Covenant (which I'm reliably informed is in Dick Cheney's crypt), The Holy Grail and the Jenna Bush sex tape. (And you know there just has to be one somewhere in a Georgetown, GW and/or AU frathouse.)