Chicksands Language Courses

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by shemulie, Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Want to get on a language course. Last time I checked their website was not updated. Does anyone have any contact information, I'd like to find out what the score is?
  2. Que? no understandee
  3. The score is Chicksands 1 You Nil
  4. Why?
    Aren't you a TA Paratrooper?
    Have you attempted an MLAT?
    Have you looked at the FTRS job vacancies?
  5. i'd start with English first,hopefully we will always need officers who can communicate in that......

p.s. schermuly
  6. would that be your MLAT score??????

7. [​IMG]

8. Probably had two bowls just make sure they were extra stupid!
  9. Where do I start? Well fella, what you don't do, is ring Chickers direct with the above statement. It just doesn't work like that. There are a few things you need to consider first.....
    1. What language do you wish to learn? Chicksands only teach a select few.
    2. To what standard do you need to be trained?
    3. Have you taken an MLAT test and acheived a pass?
    4. Does your unit have a need for personnel to be trained up to a certain level in a certain language.

When you have an answer to all of the above, then make an application through your chain of command, or maybe speak to the Training Major if you're TA. If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm happy to stand corrected.

It's worth me adding at this point that IF you are lucky enough to get yourself a language course, you'll end up going to Beaconsfield and not Chicksands. The courses at Chicksands are now Diploma length and I don't really know of anyone other than people who are training to be a linguist, getting put on them. Beaconsfield do this too, but also deal with the 12 week "survival" courses.

Why do you want to do a language course? I'm only asking because that's what your chain of command will ask, and "because I do" isn't really going to cut it.

Edited - Mong spelling.
  10. I think Shemulie was actually after an English course.
  11. Be careful what you wish for.
  12. Is that like.."Be afraid..Be very afraid"?
  13. I have a basic foundation in Arabic and know 2 Para is sending Tom's on a basic course, it must be the 12 week 'survival course.'

Don't know anything about the Army's courses, just want to find out more information. I have not looked at FTRS but going out as an IR. We have been advised many times to find out as much about courses before submitting them to the chain of command, limiting the amount of work they have to do, else things sent up just seem to disappear.

Glad to see everyone's not letting their ego's get in the way of sounding some advise!
  14. Here's some advice. Feck off will ya (in a non egotistical manner). Knob
  15. Touchy!