Chickens

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Dirtyfilthymech, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does any body keep chickens? I have been thinking of getting some. and was wondering if it is much hassle with fox's breaking in.

I have been looking at this beauty for keeping them in linky Compact 2

But don't want to layout all of this cash if the Fox's know how to snip wire or have POW type tunnelling skills.

And was also wondering how much time it would take a day to feed clean and collect eggs from about 8 of the little blighter's.

This is not a wind up and thanks for you time to answer.

* fixed Linky

2. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler War Hero Book Reviewer

3. The chicken house should do, however training your chickens could prove harder. I suggest crashing in at unexpected hours shouting "STANDBYYOURNESTS", the chickens should then stand to attention by their (clean) bedspace and show one freshly laid egg, you can then torment them with tales of what Mr Fox will do if they put a claw out of line. For variety beast them round the garden whilst insulting their parentage, blowing a whistle and shouting incoherently. It might take a while but it will be worth it.

4. I keep 5 chickens (bantams). In wintertime I let them free range through the garden. In summertime I let them out for about an 2 hours before dusk,to let them get rid of the snails that infest my garden. If I let them longer free range they start digging into the flowerbeds etc.
    The total amount of time it takes a day to feed them,collect eggs etc is about 5 minutes. And about 20 minutes a week for cleaning the henhouse.
    I'm having them for about 3 years now and still enjoy them.

Edit; I just discovered this thread to be in the NAAFI Bar............. awaiting incoming...

5. Keep em in a hesco cage or few joined together should be safe in there

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As long as you give them a quick clean kill before you cook them, should be no problem.

Grip neck just below head between fore and middle finger of right hand, hold body of bird in left. Pull sharply up with right hand in a twisting motion.

It's plucking them that takes the time.

7. Or a s-h-e-d.

8. you could always keep them in one of these?
    [​IMG]

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Reported to the authorities.

Hedgehogs. Enemy of chickens. Do I look like I am joking? Is his the face of amusement?

Hedgehogs. If hedgehogs get among small pullets, they will stroll around and eat them. Then theres foxes who will dig down 3 feet to eat chickens. If there are lots of chickens, they will just eat their brains, then kill what they cant eat.

Hawks. Pretty well any sort.

Chickens are wormwood and tears. Best buy your eggs from Tesco and raise cabbages.

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You've been watching 'Animal Farm' again, haven't you? And I don't mean the George Orwell version!

11. Do you use black nasty to stop them splitting