Chicken in mushroom sauce with sweet potato what?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, Jul 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Thats what I'm doing for lunch,I'm useing a tin of Rat Pack mushroom spread,watered down with cream & whole mushrooms for the sauce.
    Problem is,I dunno what to do with the sweet potatos?
    Any ARRSE Chef Guru's have any ideas?

2. You could roast or mash them, just treat them like normal spuds tbh.

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

No special cooking time needed then sainty?

4. Not really, what ever you do to normal spuds, you can do to sweet potatoes.

5. Bake them in foil for an hour or so until they're soft.

6. Agreed- that's the best way. Depending on the size of them 1 hour could be a bit much.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cheers chaps,
    I was away at camp with the cadets the other week & got lots of gash rat's.Funniest highlight of the Nav Ex was the cadets,not knowing what Tabasco was,were chugging down the whole mini bottle then running around screaming "Water! My mouth's on fire!"

8. Mash them with garlic, cream, a little butter and a touch of rosemary always a favourite at my house.

9. the garlic and rosemary treatment also does well if you roast them.

10. Or grate them and make a rosti them shallow fry it. Its always nice to have a bit of a crunch in to acompany a creamy sauce.

11. I usually chop them into little cubes after peeling, pour olive oil over then roast them - delicious especially with butternut squash done the same way

12. Concur - I might even throw a few whole cloves of garlic in there - sweet!

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Well,
    I dont the rosti thing which came out ok although in future need less cooking time.I grated a carrot into the mix too.
    The Compo Mushroom Spread makes an excellent base for a garlic mushroom sauce,just thin it out with some milk or cream,add mushrooms fried in oil/butter mix & garlic before pouring over the chicken.

14. You burnt the shite out of it didn't you?! :D

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Only the first batch,second batch were a bit soggy.