Chest pain

I had a rather unpleasant experience yesterday while out running. I had only covered around 6-800 metres before I was forced to stop due to a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. I walked for a few metres and the pain subsided, but it started again when I began to run again, even if I set the pace right down.

I haven't been too active over the past few months, and was only just starting running again so if Id be annoyed if I'ver got to stop again already. I was out four times last week, and ran a 10k race at the weekend, so it's not like it's the first time I've been out running.

Before anyone says it, I have been to the doctor's this morning and had an EKG taken which looked normal. He's going to send me for a treadmill/cycle test as well just to be on the safe side.

Unfortuntely though, I forgot to ask him about exercising while I'm waiting for my appointment at the hospital. Is it a bad idea? Or should it be okay in moderation?

Any ideas guys?

T_T

Tartan_Terrier said:
I had a rather unpleasant experience yesterday while out running. I had only covered around 6-800 metres before I was forced to stop due to a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. I walked for a few metres and the pain subsided, but it started again when I began to run again, even if I set the pace right down.

I haven't been too active over the past few months, and was only just starting running again so if Id be annoyed if I'ver got to stop again already. I was out four times last week, and ran a 10k race at the weekend, so it's not like it's the first time I've been out running.

Before anyone says it, I have been to the doctor's this morning and had an EKG taken which looked normal. He's going to send me for a treadmill/cycle test as well just to be on the safe side.

Unfortuntely though, I forgot to ask him about exercising while I'm waiting for my appointment at the hospital. Is it a bad idea? Or should it be okay in moderation?

Any ideas guys?

T_T
Leaving it until you see your doctor again would be hte sensible thing....

Are you up the duff?

freedomman said:
Are you up the duff?
If I am, both my wife and I would be very surprised indeed.

Similiar experience two years ago fortunately all was OK as was confirmed by numerous tests. I continue to exercise not so often or hard and have had no problems. I just treated it as a warning shot. Take care.

I had an almost identical experience, so bloody severe that I assumed it was my heart. After similar tests it was diagnosed as inflamation in the muscles that connect your ribs. Still get it occasionally, usually after I've been running for 5 or 6 minutes. It then passes slowly. scary as hell the first time when you factor in ........ 39 years old...... slightly podgy....... high cholesterol........... OMG!

You're probably right about leaving it out till I see the doc again, but I know that it can take ages to get an appointment at the hospital. I know someone who waited nearly three months.

I suppose I'll have to find something less strenuous to do in the meantime. Looks like lots of long walks are on the cards.

Every so often I also have mild chest pains on left side. I've been quite active this week running a PFT every day. Felt it on Mon when I was struggling with breathing but nothing at all today - run felt easier and breathing pattern was more relaxed even though I really pushed myself. Had blood tests and cardio machine thing in a German hospital about a year ago - they couldn't find anything wrong although they did say that the pain was not normal. I think that the pain is linked to stress so I am trying to relax at work more. I'm 38, 105kg (large build) with mediocre fitness. Dr said that it's probably early warning signs of heart disease.

copepod

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I know this response will seem very non commital, but without seeing your ECG and knowing your medical history, it's about the best you can expect from an online forum - probably OK to exercise in moderation, but, above all, stop if you feel any more chest pain. I hope your GP also checked your blood pressure and took blood to test? However, your definition of moderate may be very different to mine - I'd suggest walking and cycling, but not running. Let's hope it's just a sprained muscle between your ribs...

I've been doing a bit of reading, and it seems that lack of sleep can contribute to heart disease. So perhaps my missus is right that I should find a new job (I work nights and usually get a maximum of five hours sleep on weekdays).

I had a similar expieriance few years ago when I was travelling in Asia. At the end of my trip I felt sharp pains in the left side of my chest. Less that a week after being back I ended up in a hospital becouse of that. I had ECG and X-ray that showed that everything was fine. however i still felt the pain that seemed to be stronger every time I took a deep breath. I was only able to sleep on my back as movement to left or right side was just cousing to much pain. I was released from a hospital after a week and still dont know what was the reason of that pain. I hasnt happen since but I got a trip to Asia comming up soon so just worry a bit.

Talked to the doc, and running is out, unfortunately. Got an appointment in a couple of weeks though, so I'm not going to have to wait too long.

Update:

It seems I'm not going to die on my next run (unless I get hit by a bus). My appointment got moved up due to a cancellation or something, so I was at the hospital today. All the usual checks, plus a lung function test, and a stress test on the exercise bike and everything was as it should be. So the verdict was 'Feck knows what it was, but you seem okay now'

could've been a simple intercostal hitch...like cramp but in the intercostal muscle. Its a hellishly sharp pain, deeply unpleasant.

Have you been doing any chest work, e.g. push-ups? The first time I bent forward to pick up a weight after really working the chest I thought I was having a heart attack. The damaged muscle hangs forward off the chest wall, and it doesn't feel good - pain, plus something more frightening than pain.

I wonder if Tartan Terrier was Stephen Gately?

Queensman said:
Are you calling me queer?

Or Irish?

Cnut!!

Tartan_Terrier said:
Queensman said:
Are you calling me queer?

Or Irish?

Cnut!!
Oh! That's a relief - you're still alive.