Chest pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tartan_Terrier, Sep 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a rather unpleasant experience yesterday while out running. I had only covered around 6-800 metres before I was forced to stop due to a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. I walked for a few metres and the pain subsided, but it started again when I began to run again, even if I set the pace right down.

I haven't been too active over the past few months, and was only just starting running again so if Id be annoyed if I'ver got to stop again already. I was out four times last week, and ran a 10k race at the weekend, so it's not like it's the first time I've been out running.

Before anyone says it, I have been to the doctor's this morning and had an EKG taken which looked normal. He's going to send me for a treadmill/cycle test as well just to be on the safe side.

Unfortuntely though, I forgot to ask him about exercising while I'm waiting for my appointment at the hospital. Is it a bad idea? Or should it be okay in moderation?

Any ideas guys?

2. Leaving it until you see your doctor again would be hte sensible thing....
  3. Are you up the duff?
  4. If I am, both my wife and I would be very surprised indeed.
  5. Similiar experience two years ago fortunately all was OK as was confirmed by numerous tests. I continue to exercise not so often or hard and have had no problems. I just treated it as a warning shot. Take care.
  6. I had an almost identical experience, so bloody severe that I assumed it was my heart. After similar tests it was diagnosed as inflamation in the muscles that connect your ribs. Still get it occasionally, usually after I've been running for 5 or 6 minutes. It then passes slowly. scary as hell the first time when you factor in ........ 39 years old...... slightly podgy....... high cholesterol........... OMG!
  7. You're probably right about leaving it out till I see the doc again, but I know that it can take ages to get an appointment at the hospital. I know someone who waited nearly three months.

I suppose I'll have to find something less strenuous to do in the meantime. Looks like lots of long walks are on the cards.
  8. Every so often I also have mild chest pains on left side. I've been quite active this week running a PFT every day. Felt it on Mon when I was struggling with breathing but nothing at all today - run felt easier and breathing pattern was more relaxed even though I really pushed myself. Had blood tests and cardio machine thing in a German hospital about a year ago - they couldn't find anything wrong although they did say that the pain was not normal. I think that the pain is linked to stress so I am trying to relax at work more. I'm 38, 105kg (large build) with mediocre fitness. Dr said that it's probably early warning signs of heart disease.
  9. I know this response will seem very non commital, but without seeing your ECG and knowing your medical history, it's about the best you can expect from an online forum - probably OK to exercise in moderation, but, above all, stop if you feel any more chest pain. I hope your GP also checked your blood pressure and took blood to test? However, your definition of moderate may be very different to mine - I'd suggest walking and cycling, but not running. Let's hope it's just a sprained muscle between your ribs...
  10. I've been doing a bit of reading, and it seems that lack of sleep can contribute to heart disease. So perhaps my missus is right that I should find a new job (I work nights and usually get a maximum of five hours sleep on weekdays).
  11. I had a similar expieriance few years ago when I was travelling in Asia. At the end of my trip I felt sharp pains in the left side of my chest. Less that a week after being back I ended up in a hospital becouse of that. I had ECG and X-ray that showed that everything was fine. however i still felt the pain that seemed to be stronger every time I took a deep breath. I was only able to sleep on my back as movement to left or right side was just cousing to much pain. I was released from a hospital after a week and still dont know what was the reason of that pain. I hasnt happen since but I got a trip to Asia comming up soon so just worry a bit.
  12. tin hat on

that sounds like a stitch..........

tin hat off
  13. Caught your chest hair in your zimmer?
  14. Talked to the doc, and running is out, unfortunately. Got an appointment in a couple of weeks though, so I'm not going to have to wait too long.
  15. Update:

It seems I'm not going to die on my next run (unless I get hit by a bus). My appointment got moved up due to a cancellation or something, so I was at the hospital today. All the usual checks, plus a lung function test, and a stress test on the exercise bike and everything was as it should be. So the verdict was 'Feck knows what it was, but you seem okay now'