cherry blossom or kiwi polish

is cherry blossom boot polish any good or is kiwi better, cant seem to get boots shiney with cherry blossom but kiwi expensive, any tips or advice please :D

Kiwi Expensive? Last time I bought some it was about 70P from Asda, Hardly breaking the bank now is it?

Kiwi all the way....

Kiwi definitely too much oil in Cherry Blossom thats why you can,t get a shine. just for info ex drill pig here.

Kiwi

The reason Cherry Blossom doesn't shine up is that it is pants!

Kiwi Parade Gloss is the way to go for Parade Boots.

light_projector said:
S10. Are you in distress, mate? Your Flag's upside down. 8O

Kiwi every time, though.

Completely off topic,but how can one see the difference of the UJ being the right way up or upside down ?

On topic; Kiwi is the way forward!

Cloggie said:
light_projector said:
S10. Are you in distress, mate? Your Flag's upside down. 8O

Kiwi every time, though.

Completely off topic,but how can one see the difference of the UJ being the right way up or upside down ?
!
Broad white diagonal next to the staff should be uppermost. Otherway round is a distress signal according to convention. Used in the plot of one of Jeffry Archer's novels IIRC>

70p? been in my local asda and they only sell parade gloss for 1.50 a tin. cant find any normal kiwi.

Thanks L_P ! Makes perfectly sense to me now.
I never really knew where to look at to spot the difference.

Many Moons ago, When I was a young whippersnapper in the ACF my Mother purchased for me some boot polish from a local market it was called 'Golden Rooster'
It was next to useless in normal polishing, it having the effect of painting your boots Matt Black and refused to be buffed up to a shine. so it was 'hidden' to avoid hurting a mothers feelings.
Cue a few months later It was Saturday Night, I was Bulling my boots for Rememberance Sunday, Having Finished the one boot I ran out of Kiwi Parade Gloss to do the other one, the only Polish available on that late Hour was this Golden Rooster. I used it and found that it was excellent! It bulled up very easily much to my surprise!
I used that Polish quite a lot for bulling purposes only Kiwi been my choice for general polishing. It always delivered but alas could never find anymore for sale anywhere!At that point I was involved with a ACF Corp of Drums and Had many Functions where the 'Golden Rooster' provided the goods.
Saying that when it went Kiwi Parade Gloss was the Prefered polish of Choice.

Kiwi has always been my polish of choice - especially Kiwi Elite. Carefully applied (i.e. lots) and buffed up gently, it gave a fairly high gloss to work boots. It also saved time on best boots because it filled in scratches and creases very easily - I'd alternate layers of Parade Gloss and Elite. (But you must leave the Elite at least 12 hours to dry before buffing it).

Cherry Blossom is reputed to be better than Kiwi for keeping the wet out of your boots, so would be the better of the two for exercises.

BUT, and this is a word of warning passed down to me from Old Man Puttees (as an ex-shoe repairer, he should know), check the thread used for the stitching in the boots. Army boots traditionally use linen thread and so should use natural polishes (Kiwi or Cherry Blossom etc.) or dubbin. Many hiking boots use man-made fibre thread and so should have man-made waterproofing materials (e.g. silicone sprays etc).

Using the wrong combination rots the thread.

I've had the same results with Golden Rooster, (didn't it used to be called Golden Cock?)

For brush polishing though, I'll have to go out on a limb and say that I'm a big fan of Punch polish. I find that it gives a deeper, blacker shine than Kiwi.

We actually get issued polish here, but unfortunately it's utter wnak. There is so much silicone in it, you can't get a decent shine (apart from all the little flecks of silicone).

Interesting what you say about using the correct kind of polish Puttees, I have heard something similar before, but I thought it was something to do with the leather rather than the stitching.

Regards
T_T