Cheney receives a subpoena

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by goodkurtz, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This could be the start of the downfall.

Cheney, others served with subpoenas by wiretapping investigators Michael Roston
    Published: Wednesday June 27, 2007

The Senate Judiciary Committee has served Vice President Dick Cheney and other officials in the White House and Justice Department with subpoenas over President George W. Bush's warrantless wiretapping programs.

"Over the past 18 months, this Committee has made no fewer than nine formal requests to the Department of Justice and to the White House, seeking information and documents about the authorization of and legal justification for this program," Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said in a statement released to RAW STORY. "All requests have been rebuffed. Our attempts to obtain information through testimony of Administration witnesses have been met with a consistent pattern of evasion and misdirection."

The subpoenas were authorized last week by the Judiciary Committee by a 13-3 vote, and target "documents related to authorization and reauthorization of the program or programs; the legal analysis or opinions about the surveillance; orders, decisions, or opinions of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) concerning the surveillance; agreements between the Executive Branch and telecommunications or other companies regarding liability for assisting with or participating in the surveillance; and documents concerning the shutting down of an investigation of the Department of Justice’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) relating to the surveillance," according to the release.

In the subpoena letters, Leahy made particular reference to the Bush administration's attempts to roll back existing oversight of the domestic spying program conducted through the National Security Agency.

"This Committee’s inquiry into this warrantless electronic surveillance is essential to the performance of its constitutional legislative and oversight responsibilities," he wrote. "The Administration has asked Congress to make sweeping changes to FISA – a crucial national security authority over which the Judiciary Committee has jurisdiction. It is impossible to make informed legislative decisions without understanding fully the Administration’s interpretation of FISA and the perceived flaws in that legislation that led the Administration to operate a program outside of its provisions for more than five years."

The letters were sent to the Justice Department, the Office of the White House, the Office of the Vice President, and the National Security Council. The recipients of the subpoenas are called on to comply with the subpoenas by July 18.
  2. Cheney told Leahy to go and fcuk himself once before. I'll put good money on him doing it again.
  3. Yeah, that's why he has now been subpoenaed. You cant tell a subpoena to go fcuk itself. That's the beauty of them.
  4. Not being thick..but can someone put this in laymans terms for the boys...who aren't thick as well.

i hate the Americans and especially all involved in the present administration (including the future i/c middle east-bliar).

many dankes

and gordon...please....blow me you tight jock freak..squaddies hate you anyway..student...haircut...can't pass apwt...pft...donut shop...etc..
  5. But isn't it written into the constitution that US politicians (and celebrities) and anyone else who can afford a good lawyer is above the law?

He won't be having sleepless nights, surely?
  6. Other then the triall and conviction of the Blige Rat Blur I can think of no other plesant thought then then man who I blame above all others getting his comupance.
  7. Actually they can. There's this little thing called Executive Privilege that they'll probably try and argue means they don't have to comply since it's a national security/terrorism matter. That and IIRC appointed officials can refuse to attend or answer committee's questions.
  8. One of the major principles of of a civil Democracy is that no one is above the law. And that, of course, also includes the president. This isn't a fancy little add on, its fundamental.
    If Cheney refuses to comply with the subpoenas that will, in one move, show that America has slipped from being a Democracy and has become a Republic ruled by a small elite that considers itself above the law.
    This is end game stuff.
    The greatest danger to Bush & Cheney now comes from those most close to them.

Think of the English nobility forcing King John to sign the Magna Carta at Runnymede.
    Or think what happened to Julius Caesar when he tried to over rule the senators.

9. I take your contribution was fuelled by alchohol and and/or bannned substances :twisted:

I think Leahy will be told to politely go and do something else.
  10. And just what are you on Rickshaw? :D
    Leahy hasn't sent them a fcuking party invite. Having not got what he wanted he took it to a judge and the judge has turned Leahy's requests into a subpoena.
    A subpoena is a legal command that one must obey or one finds oneself in contempt and liable to imprisonment.
    In other words Leahy's requests for information aren't coming from him any more. They are now coming from the Man. They now coming from the Law.

And how does that old song go?
    "I fought the law and the law won."
  11. This from The Raw Story.
    I'm not sure what the legal expert is saying about the administration 'running out the clock'. The terms of the subpoena determine the clock speed now I would have thought.

Legal expert: White House stonewalling may force Congress to charge president with criminal offenses David Edwards and Muriel Kane
    Published: Wednesday June 27, 2007

Keith Olbermann announced on Wednesday's Countdown that the White House is refusing on grounds of executive privilege to honor Senate subpoenas and release documents relating to its warrantless wiretapping. In addition, Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, David Addington, has sent a letter to Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) saying Cheney's office will not comply with oversight by the National Archives because it is not "an agency."

Olbermann then turned to law professor Joanathan Turley, who agreed tentatively that the administration might move slowly enough to "run out the clock" on its time in office. "But there is one thing that might concern them about the court," Turley said, "and that is, you know, for many years, since we first found out about this program, some of us have said that this was a clearly criminal act that the president called for. ... If we're right, not only did he order that crime, but it would be, in fact, an impeachable offense."

"Both sides, both Democrats and Republicans, have avoided this sort of pig in the parlor," Turley continued. "They don't want to recognize that this president may have ordered criminal offenses. But they may now be on the road to do that, because the way Congress can get around the executive privilege in court is to say, we're investigating a potential crime."

Olbermann went on to joke that the attempt to pin down Cheney's real nature is starting to sound like a game of 20 Questions. Turley laughed and said, "The position adopted by Mr. Addington and Mr. Cheney, to put it bluntly, was absurd. ... In past administrations, if someone like Mr. Addington made such a moronic argument as this one, they would be out of a job the next week. ... I think that what it really shows is the lack of sort of adult supervision within the administration."

Olbermann probed further into why Cheney has given up claiming he is not part of the executive branch but is still not complying with the order. "Is this an attempt to stop what Congressman Emanuel talked about yesterday, cutting off the funding? Is it just more smokescreen?"

"This administration, I have to say, has a certain contempt for the law," said Turley. "They treat it like some of my criminal defendents used to treat it. ... They come up with any argument that might work. ... It's a sort of shocking development. ... But at the end of the day, they will lose, and they're making the situation worse."

The following video is from MSNBC's Countdown, broadcast on June 27
  12. Its a bit too early even for me :D

What I mean is that I think the President will pull rank and even if the tomtit was to hit the fan the final act could well be a Presidential Pardon. It doesn't make it right but we have virtually the same type of politicos as you and they will stop at nothing to squirm out of any situation.

And I suspect that you think that as well :D
  13. The Chimp can't pull rank. Any rank that the President has, has been granted to him WITHIN a legal framework. 'Executive Privilege' is therefore a feature of the legal constitution of the United States.
    The founding fathers took this into consideration. They took precautions to make sure that no president should try and grab the powers that monarchs often did in Europe.
    No one in a civil society is above the law. Its very important to understand that.
    If indeed a situation was to arrive where it was thought necessary for the president to operate beyond how the law stood then a law would have to be introduced to change the law in which he would still operate and be liable to.

If Cheney and/or Bush were to ignore the subpoena they would be holding the law itself in contempt.
    Criminal charge one.
    If it was then found in answer to the questions raised in the subpoena that he had exceeded the law with the wire tap program, that alone would be criminal charge two.

But then of course if we then find that thousands of cases of wire tapping were the illegally made then that opens them both to thousands of criminal charges. And as well as that in a litigious place like America thousands of private lawsuits as well.

What we are seeing the beginning of is a headlong crash between the judiciary and the executive branches of the American government.
    No one usually issues a subpoena to the Veep.
    You can no more ignore a subpoena than you could avoid an electric shock if you stuck your fingers in a wall point and threw the switch.
    I'll try and find out when, or even if its ever done before.
  14. The title of the article I posted is interesting:
    'Force' being the operative word. I'm sure those fat comfortable cats in congress would rather their sleep was not disturbed by anything other than a lobbyist offering them a five star lunch. However, they would be FORCED to act if they were presented with evidence that the President and his Veep had exceeded the law. Otherwise they themselves would be in legal jeopardy.
    No matter what other things a congressman may do it is his fundemental duty to uphold the constitution of the United States. So now they will be forced to do some of the work they should have been doing these past seven years.

By some amazing coincidence rather than design I am reading a book called 'Burr' at the moment. It is about a previous Vice President Aaron Burr, who in 1804 whilst serving as the veep shot and killed one General Alexander Hamilton in a dual. He was charged with several counts of murder but managed to get off.
    So Cheneys got a way to go yet. But he did shoot a man by accident on a hunting trip last year. That must have been about the only whimpy thing he has ever done. Not the shooting of course, but the lame 'I did it by accident' excuse offered by him later.
  15. G_K please do keep us up to date. Maybe we have had B'liar so long we are becoming too cynical about the machinations of Gobmint.

I'll bet you a beer tho' the sneaky barstewards find a way out :twisted: