Cheney: "All options" open to Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/news-channels/headline-channel/cheney-all-options-open-iran-$1055988.htm

2. Have to say I think a strike against Iran is on the cards. Also think US/Israel will maximise the element of surprise. I have been fiercely critical of the Iraq war but I would have no problem with stopping Iran's nuclear ambitions. I am surprised by Blair's comments against such an action. Clear to me that he chose to support the wrong war from the start.

3. What, if any, are the potential risks to our troops in the area? By which I mean those in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Does Iran have the potential to cause us major problems or will US/Israeli airpower overwhelm them?

4. http://en.rian.ru/world/20070203/60153725.html

So Russian FM was assured in Washington that the war with Iran will not take place (at least in the near future). I strongly doubt that the administration will violate the promise.

5. Bit oh warmongering eh? Business as normal in the good ol' US of A.

6. I just can't see how the Septics envisage doing this. They've identified over 200 sites which would have to be banjoed; some of those may be decoys or real. But there's no reliable int on how many secret sites exist, or if they're decoys too.

My greatest fear is that any attack will immediately provoke a response. All this sword-rattling and useless waffling has given the Iranians ample opportunity to get their act together counter-strike wise. In addition to the real risk of Iran stepping up to the plate in Iraq, particularly in the south of the country.

Of course, all that makes no odds to Babbeo Bush and his gang of lunatics, but it makes me fear for the British Army troops in Iraq when the brown and smelly comes into contact with the rapidly spinning blades.

On the other hand, it could be just a ploy by the Septics to keep up pressure by threatening measures which they're in no position to carry out.

MsG

7. But is Iran going to capitualte on the grounds of this American postering. Iran probably believes that Allah will protect them and defeat the great American infidel.

Iran's confidence will be further boosted by the way the USA folded over the Korean Issue.

8. There is no way that the Israelis are going to allow Iran to join the nuclear club. As long as Iran has a lunatic in charge I can't say that I blame them either. To reduce the risk of retaliation US/Israel might have to go for more like 2000 targets. Very very risky but what is worse? A nuclear Iran supporting global terrorism? Just hope sanctions work and the Iranians see sense, soon.

9. Didn't the Pentagon wargame something similar just before Iraq and the result was two sunk carrier groups?

10. Israel wouldn't be able to do much by themselves, as soon as they kicked off with Iran all the other Arab nations would be on them like a pack of dogs.

If Iran do go nuclear watch the house prices fall in and around London, no one will want to live in that big juicy target.

11. Would they use Nukes if the Iranians moved into Iraq after a strike?

12. Might the US be tempted to threaten a nuclear retaliation in the event that the Iranians go after shipping? I think house prices might take a dip everywhere! Time to move to NZ.

13. Well the Iranians have plenty of Sunburns - to be launched in volleys from fishing boats against the US carriers?

If the Iranians did sink one then the Yanks would have to do something spectacular in retaliation.

14. It would certainly be a spectacular warning to Korea etc

15. Blablabla...Cheney and co have been saying this for years now.

Nothings going to happen, its all mindgames.

There is no viable so-called military option anyway, intel isnt solid enough to guarantee any sort of success.

Iran will fillibuster their way to nuke capability and noone can do anything to stop them.

Mind you, all these Patrick Robinson fantasies of Israeli jets coming in via Iraqi air corridors are highly amusing!