Chemo - who’s been through it?

RABC

LE
Its 2 weeks now, and my mouth is sore, and my tastebuds have gone. I’m very tired, but cant sleep. The hospital transport, usually a volunteer with his own car, is working well. Nurses and staff at Addenbrookes are superb. Only 4 more weeks to go.

I am very tired, but it takes 5 hours from leaving home, having the treatment, and getting back. Neck and shoulders getting sore now too. Staff are brilliant though.

Edit. If this is what radiotherapy is like, I would like to shake the hand of anyone who has been through chemo, probably with less moaning than me.
Just across town for me so not the journey that makes me tired.
Actual session under the LA is about 5 mins but when I get home I sleep for a couple of hours then about 10 that night.
Next day I feel good
The staff at my unit in Canterbury are brilliant- from receptionist to the tech bods running the machine

ugly

LE
I had been warned off that they wanted me to have a PETSCAN at Sussex University so I rang and got a next day cancellation for last Tuesday
Three hours and pee that is radioactive but it’s done
I rang oncology here and left messages mythering for a result update
Ward nurse got back to me, they have the results and will be in this weeks conference so I will get a call by next week to inform me if I need extra treatment or not
They originally weren’t going to do anything until September so the nurse agreed that it should be dealt with quickly either way

0A is a bit worried!

2 more to go then radio on 15th, thank god no mask needed, just 3 small permanent dots on my chest.

Had a mammogram yesterday on good side, christ it hurt as i dont have much manboob, now it looks like a compact disc... she really squeezed plates hard, i was waiting for my nipple to fly off and embed itself into a wall.

On a more serious note, nurses keep asking if im looking forward to ringing the bell, ive told them i wont as i know people in there that never will, makes me cry at times thinking of them.

Good luck everyone on here, dusty today.

2 more to go then radio on 15th, thank god no mask needed, just 3 small permanent dots on my chest.

Had a mammogram yesterday on good side, christ it hurt as i dont have much manboob, now it looks like a compact disc... she really squeezed plates hard, i was waiting for my nipple to fly off and embed itself into a wall.

On a more serious note, nurses keep asking if im looking forward to ringing the bell, ive told them i wont as i know people in there that never will, makes me cry at times thinking of them.

You get an excellent just for that alone

PFGEN

GCM

I had one of these for a "lump". At the time I had no man tits so had to get into all sorts of positions so that nurse could get a good press without my boob falling out. Ended up wrapped around the machine looking like I was giving it a good shagging. I was lucky as said lump turned out to be just that, a lump. Couldn't help feeling for those who really have their maams flattened and then get the bad news.

Unfortunately these days I could probably lob in a tit like the best of them.

100% agree and almost word for word what l said at the end of my course of chemo - and will repeat when radio is done

themutiny

Old-Salt
I am very tired, but it takes 5 hours from leaving home, having the treatment, and getting back. Neck and shoulders getting sore now too. Staff are brilliant though.

Edit. If this is what radiotherapy is like, I would like to shake the hand of anyone who has been through chemo, probably with less moaning than me.
As I understand it, radiotherapy is worse than chemo. I have only had chemo so can’t say definitively, but sounds a bit like Sophie’s Choice. My toenails are starting to grow back now, and it’s a fecker when they catch on your socks.

themutiny

Old-Salt
Just received the result of my one year post op CT scan and it’s clear. Nil, nada, zilch anywhere.

I was prompted to seek the result however by the news this morning that my son’s father in law’s broken femur is the result of advanced bone cancer metastasised from his prostate. His daughter is expecting his first grandchild in September. Life is fecking cruel sometimes.
So sorry to quote myself, bad form I know, but needed to share.

So, my son’s father in law now has a perforated bowel resulting in sepsis. Now in ITU on a ventilator with a very poor prognosis, as in unlikely to see the birth of his first Grandchild. As I have said before, I don’t really know him, but it does put things in perspective, certainly for me. I was facing the same but survived. I feel so sorry for him.

RABC

LE
I hesitate to comment, after the last post, and best wishes for your sons Father in law. It doesn't always go the way the docs say.

Its the end of week 3, of 6. My mouth and throat are agony, so much that drinking fluid is about all I can manage. They have now put me on soluble paracetamol, Caphosol mouth wash, Benzydamine mouthwash, Xylocaine spray, and Oral Morphine. If I take all these, it numbs my mouth and throat enough to have some soup. The hospital has also given me Fortisip Protein Shakes, so I don't lose weight. Its worse during the night, as I wake up with a mouth full of very thick saliva which virtually sticks my face to the pillow.

Apart from that, its going great, and the piss taking in the Radiotherapy waiting room is merciless. Still cant fathom out why the transport to take me from Lincs to Cambs is fulfilled by a Thames Ambulance bus or car.

The staff at Addenbrookes are outstanding.

Had my CT scan today for the 3 tattoo dots for radio on the 15th.

Why is it when they say stay perfectly still , your balls itch like mad?

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I’m not sure if anyone else has this problem but I can’t take sun on my skin anymore !
I was a beach bum as a kid growing up in Cornwall and could tan deeply after a day or two but now I’m like a gwar!
I went to the farm yesterday as it was forecast not to exceed 23 but I struggled to walk 200 yards in jeans, long sleeved shirt and a floppy hat!
I was starting to get sunstroke and drove home as quick as I could and crashed on stairs on the way to the cold shower!
I’m not sure if the bursitis in my elbow helped add to my condition but I took two painkillers and started my penicillin prescription and flaked on the bed for about six hours!
That’s ruled out any sunshine holiday for me!
It’s almost as if I have no melanin at all!

I’m not sure if anyone else has this problem but I can’t take sun on my skin anymore !
I was a beach bum as a kid growing up in Cornwall and could tan deeply after a day or two but now I’m like a gwar!
I went to the farm yesterday as it was forecast not to exceed 23 but I struggled to walk 200 yards in jeans, long sleeved shirt and a floppy hat!
I was starting to get sunstroke and drove home as quick as I could and crashed on stairs on the way to the cold shower!
I’m not sure if the bursitis in my elbow helped add to my condition but I took two painkillers and started my penicillin prescription and flaked on the bed for about six hours!
That’s ruled out any sunshine holiday for me!
It’s almost as if I have no melanin at all!
Feels like if we took every person on this thread, and put them all together, we couldnt make one good body out of all of us!

RABC

LE
Well its the end of week 4. Two more weeks to go. My face and neck now have a Chernobyl tan, and I wake up in the morning with my lips stuck together. The medication is painful to apply, but works after the initial shock.

I’m sick of milk shakes

I can only relate to you all second hand from watching my partner go through radio for a breast tumour some years ago, and Chemo earlier this year.

My best wishes and hopes to you all.

ugly

LE
They rang me Friday, not the news I had hoped for but it is being taken seriously. The Oncologists conference today included a Professor who has asked for another CT scan in early september, there is a 4mm nodule where before there was none, if it gets bigger they will biopsy. If not its watching brief for the remainder of my days. FFS I start a new job in two weeks and I dont need hospital stays to make life awkward.
Fingers are staying crossed

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt
They rang me Friday, not the news I had hoped for but it is being taken seriously. The Oncologists conference today included a Professor who has asked for another CT scan in early september, there is a 4mm nodule where before there was none, if it gets bigger they will biopsy. If not its watching brief for the remainder of my days. FFS I start a new job in two weeks and I dont need hospital stays to make life awkward.
Fingers are staying crossed
I wouldn’t sweat it too much mate. These guys won’t let u down. They would have you in if there was something really worrying. I have 3 lumps inside me that they been watching for years now. I been getting watched for years and it ain’t no big deal. As far as work…well your more important than a job so put yer health first. I’ve got my back to the wall cos’ of my medical treatment n’ my employer are trying to give me the big cheerio and I sure don’t want to be looking for a job either when I’m in an outta hospital every here and there. I used a good lawyer to make their bum wider…ur hospital will have a social work dept with lads n’ lasses in it who could give you plenty help and advice if you need it. I got it up ere in Sweatyland and I took advice a few times. I don’t like hearing bout people Getn messed with as I know the feeling. I went to my work when I was I’ll cos I have a sense of duty,same as you and everybody else here but you do need to also think of ursel..and you family. I’m no doctor but you can trust these guys. If some employer fucks you about jus pm me n’ I’ll pop down and burn them oot…I only charge a coffee n two choklit digestives. Bit of a ramble so sorry…jus know how folks on here are feeling. Sum fukkin high brow told me I’d be on the slab without my own treatment. Great, I’m away for a☕️, and another look at the cameltoe thread and brunettes thread…type 42 seems to be able to find some sweet things. ✌

ugly

LE
I wouldn’t sweat it too much mate. These guys won’t let u down. They would have you in if there was something really worrying. I have 3 lumps inside me that they been watching for years now. I been getting watched for years and it ain’t no big deal. As far as work…well your more important than a job so put yer health first. I’ve got my back to the wall cos’ of my medical treatment n’ my employer are trying to give me the big cheerio and I sure don’t want to be looking for a job either when I’m in an outta hospital every here and there. I used a good lawyer to make their bum wider…ur hospital will have a social work dept with lads n’ lasses in it who could give you plenty help and advice if you need it. I got it up ere in Sweatyland and I took advice a few times. I don’t like hearing bout people Getn messed with as I know the feeling. I went to my work when I was I’ll cos I have a sense of duty,same as you and everybody else here but you do need to also think of ursel..and you family. I’m no doctor but you can trust these guys. If some employer fucks you about jus pm me n’ I’ll pop down and burn them oot…I only charge a coffee n two choklit digestives. Bit of a ramble so sorry…jus know how folks on here are feeling. Sum fukkin high brow told me I’d be on the slab without my own treatment. Great, I’m away for a☕️, and another look at the cameltoe thread and brunettes thread…type 42 seems to be able to find some sweet things. ✌
It’s mainly working from home so I should be ok