Chemo - who’s been through it?

DAS

War Hero
Thanks. I have found out that cancer patients are entitled to transport to get them to radio or chemo sessions. They kept that one quiet. I had assumed that as I’m on just a pension but no benefits, that I would not be entitled to any support.

I have had the scary mask made, and start radiotherapy on 11 July
Be sure to let RTs know if mask gets tight/loose. Happens and is relatively normal but they need to know. Is mask the open mesh type?

Whats radio therapy like? Mine starts in 2 months and i have to travel a fair distance to get it, can i drive home again on my own?
I can only relate my experience but I had 33 sessions daily except weekends,
I drove there and back, fifty mile round trip, the only concern I had was that, as my RT was in the pelvic area, I had to drink a load of water before each session and therefore might be needing the bogs at short notice on my journey home. So it was useful to do a recce beforehand for en-route karzis.
In the end. it was no problem driving back with no need to stop.
The sessions themselves were no problem, The RT guns are far enough away to avoid claustrophobic, bit noisy but mine was 5 years ago so it's likely these things have evolved for the better since.
Actually, the only negative thing I can recall is losing track of the number of beakers of water from the water fountain that I was supposed to drink, easy when you get involved in conversation. Got around that by filling a large coke type bottle with the right amount of water and filling the beaker from that

DAS

War Hero
Whats radio therapy like? Mine starts in 2 months and i have to travel a fair distance to get it, can i drive home again on my own?
Depends on the individual. I know RTs here recommend having a lift. The linacs themselves make lots of clicks and other noises. You don't actually hear the radiotherapy. You'll hear the gantry moving and possibly the leaves in the mlc (multi leaf collimator) as gantry rotates around you. Might be a stop and shoot treatment or might be dynamic - moving continually, depends on your treatment plan.

Last edited:
Depends mine was six weeks of five sessions a week each about twenty minutes long apart from the weekly x rays and I recall a setting of 33g something but despite the friendly staff I really didn’t want to go and as I was still quite I’ll I had to be wheeled in a few times
It’s often used as a back up after everything else has been done just to make sure nothing survives!
The surgeon at Guy’s explaining that radiotherapy before surgery was a bad ide as everything turns into a gooey mess (his words) and they wouldn’t be able to prove they had cut everything out!
.. as was explained to me: [prostate and Lymph node] surgery/removal is drastic, but provides physical evidence which can be pathologically tested to show evidence of 'clear margins' on the excised material thus indicating successful removal of all cancer, at that time. At 3 months post-surgery the pathology/Blood tests result was 0.01PSA, which indicates as near as 100% successful removal. Later pathology/blood testing will indicate any recurrence/PSA increase, which then can be addressed by radiology ... my next PSA check will be early August for a radiation/oncology appointment mid-August, if necessary.

@Syledis All the best for your future journey.

ugly

LE
Well today I had a smashing time as a guest gun on a private clay shoot. I only managed half before fatigue set in but the banter and company were welcoming and best of all I didn’t embarrass myself with the 28 bore and I’ve been invited back.
Best of all is his nice rifle range I’m now welcome to use!

Well today I had a smashing time as a guest gun on a private clay shoot. I only managed half before fatigue set in but the banter and company were welcoming and best of all I didn’t embarrass myself with the 28 bore and I’ve been invited back.
Best of all is his nice rifle range I’m now welcome to use!
The best sort of treatment .

ugly

LE
Had a bit of a shock yesterday, I was due a call about my last scan and its usually one of the junior members of the oncology team.
The phone rang really late and I thought at first it was the nurse, it turned out to be the head of Oncology, the one who told me to book a hospice place at our first meeting. I was off guard and she asked probing questions about my health, did I still get dizzy spells and was I short of breath, yes to both but less than before and was the neuropathy improving. I said no.
She said the chemo could have caused the neuropathy to worsen and I said I'd only had the one session.
Its then I realised who it was. She said my left side of my chest is clear but looking at the scan my right side has something that could be caused by the mega radiotherapy I went through.
I'm the subject of a department case conference on Thursday after which the group view will drive what happens next.
Frankly I'm not looking forward to Fridays phone call.

Size 11 before anyone asks and my .280 dies are already out on loan.

themutiny

Old-Salt
Had a bit of a shock yesterday, I was due a call about my last scan and its usually one of the junior members of the oncology team.
The phone rang really late and I thought at first it was the nurse, it turned out to be the head of Oncology, the one who told me to book a hospice place at our first meeting. I was off guard and she asked probing questions about my health, did I still get dizzy spells and was I short of breath, yes to both but less than before and was the neuropathy improving. I said no.
She said the chemo could have caused the neuropathy to worsen and I said I'd only had the one session.
Its then I realised who it was. She said my left side of my chest is clear but looking at the scan my right side has something that could be caused by the mega radiotherapy I went through.
I'm the subject of a department case conference on Thursday after which the group view will drive what happens next.

So sorry to hear that. Best wishes that the result goes your way - even though I’m size 11.

Best of yer miserable scrote.

PS Lend us a tenner till next pay parade.

Wow. Here's hoping that you hear nothing but positive news in your Friday call.

Latest Threads