Chemo - who’s been through it?

I couldn’t and I live half a mile from the ward! I suffered terrible burns and had wound dressings on round the clock
Half way through six weeks:

View attachment 673306
the pic above is after the six weeks and even now nearly 18 months on the skin feels very thin and sensitive
I think I felt worse as I had voluntarily come off the morphine which caused it’s own problems but pain seemed to be heightened and after nearly a year I was at a physically very low point and Alex my younger son drove me to many sessions and waited for me!
I hope I haven’t put you off! I do recommend using E45 cream as it contains no metals and shouldn’t burn you
Thanks for that, i was going to go and stick my head in the oven, but then remembered the cost of gas!!

Whats the frequency of it and how long does it take, sorry for all the questions.

ugly

LE
Thanks for that, i was going to go and stick my head in the oven, but then remembered the cost of gas!!

Whats the frequency of it and how long does it take, sorry for all the questions.
Depends mine was six weeks of five sessions a week each about twenty minutes long apart from the weekly x rays and I recall a setting of 33g something but despite the friendly staff I really didn’t want to go and as I was still quite I’ll I had to be wheeled in a few times
It’s often used as a back up after everything else has been done just to make sure nothing survives!
The surgeon at Guy’s explaining that radiotherapy before surgery was a bad ide as everything turns into a gooey mess (his words) and they wouldn’t be able to prove they had cut everything out!

They arranged for a clothing grant, very useful as I looked like a tramp my clothes were so big on me
Most big hospitals have a Citizens Advice Bureaux collocated, if not there will be one in the town. We found them very useful when sorting out benefits entitlement.

Depends mine was six weeks of five sessions a week each about twenty minutes long apart from the weekly x rays and I recall a setting of 33g something but despite the friendly staff I really didn’t want to go and as I was still quite I’ll I had to be wheeled in a few times
It’s often used as a back up after everything else has been done just to make sure nothing survives!
The surgeon at Guy’s explaining that radiotherapy before surgery was a bad ide as everything turns into a gooey mess (his words) and they wouldn’t be able to prove they had cut everything out!
Thats what im getting , a belt and braces approach to it , no idea of the details yet.Its the one thing thats worrying me now.

Been a rough old year, my dad is in palliative care as his cancer has spread and its a matter of time now and my mum was in hospital for 4 months with a burst appendix then sepsis.

Add in the kids disability an you can see why i dont buy lottery tickets any more!

ugly

LE
Thats what im getting , a belt and braces approach to it , no idea of the details yet.Its the one thing thats worrying me now.

Been a rough old year, my dad is in palliative care as his cancer has spread and its a matter of time now and my mum was in hospital for 4 months with a burst appendix then sepsis.

Add in the kids disability an you can see why i dont buy lottery tickets any more!
Hang on in there if it doesn’t get better then let’s hope it can’t get any worse!
As I’ve said before being a thicko got me through this, just too dumb to understand how bad it was!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Whats radio therapy like? Mine starts in 2 months and i have to travel a fair distance to get it, can i drive home again on my own?
It's quite a slap round the face. I always drove my wife to it and back home.

Poppy

LE
Whats radio therapy like? Mine starts in 2 months and i have to travel a fair distance to get it, can i drive home again on my own?
phone the hospital and speak to the maggies/macmillan centre and ask if they can help with getting hospital transport

ugly

LE
phone the hospital and speak to the maggies/macmillan centre and ask if they can help with getting hospital transport
To be honest just call the hospital and ask to speak with the transport manager and they should arrange everything

Well just been told the wife has a few weeks to live, they are trying to get her home, providing a bed etc then she will be coming back all thing's being equal. She will be in the lounge with a big window on to the garden. I am buying a new sun lounger, not trusting the cheap B&Q one we have, plus sunshade so she can sit out side.

Then transferred to our local hospice where she volunteered to be nursed by friends.

She has been moved in to a private room, they even said I could take the dog in to visit. I cant thank the staff enough, sympathetic and supportive, I know its their jobs however they do it very well.

The hard part is telling family and friends.
Had some good news today and came on here to post it - this was the first post I saw. Made me cry.

I am so terribly sorry to hear this and cannot offer much at all in the way of comfort - like everyone else all I can do is send love and best wishes.

Its a shitty, unfair and cruel disease.

Have strength Philc - enough for 2

TamH70

MIA
Thanks. I have found out that cancer patients are entitled to transport to get them to radio or chemo sessions. They kept that one quiet. I had assumed that as I’m on just a pension but no benefits, that I would not be entitled to any support.

I have had the scary mask made, and start radiotherapy on 11 July

Best of luck, mate, and contact Macmillan as soon as.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I hope i can drive as i drove to and from both of my surgeries.
Ask about the free transport first. It can't hurt to take what's provided? It's available for a reason. If you had any incident whilst driving yourself (even a minor bump) your insurance will probably be rendered invalid.

RABC

LE
Ask about the free transport first. It can't hurt to take what's provided? It's available for a reason. If you had any incident whilst driving yourself (even a minor bump) your insurance will probably be rendered invalid.
That is a very good point

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
You could also be subject to a fine

"You can be fined up to £1000 if you don't tell the DVLA about a medical condition that affects your health. And you could be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident."

ugly

LE

"You can be fined up to £1000 if you don't tell the DVLA about a medical condition that affects your health. And you could be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident."

Hmm, I’ve thought long and hard about this but as I’ve passed two work medical I think I’m in the clear! I now use a steering wheel knob but it’s there for off roading rather than in town and I’ve had a gammy left arm for over twenty years so have always gone for automatic cars and I hang my left arm onto the steering wheel!

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Hmm, I’ve thought long and hard about this but as I’ve passed two work medical I think I’m in the clear! I now use a steering wheel knob but it’s there for off roading rather than in town and I’ve had a gammy left arm for over twenty years so have always gone for automatic cars and I hang my left arm onto the steering wheel!
As always, each case must be judged on its own merits!

Arranged transport for radio, 20 sessions in 4 weeks.

Latest Threads