Chemo - who’s been through it?

Following my recent cancer op, just got the news I need 30 (face and neck) radiotherapy sessions at Addenbrookes. Hope I can afford the petrol. One bit of irony in the consent form. One side effect of the radiation (to treat my cancer), is that it might give me cancer.

You got to laugh

Hope this link helps

Following my recent cancer op, just got the news I need 30 (face and neck) radiotherapy sessions at Addenbrookes. Hope I can afford the petrol. One bit of irony in the consent form. One side effect of the radiation (to treat my cancer), is that it might give me cancer.

You got to laugh
Having had a stem cell transplant to successfully treat my multiple myeloma, one of caveats is that as you need industrial strength chemo to kill off your existing bone marrow, your immune system never recovers to full strength.

As every person naturally generates an average of 6 cancer cells every day (people who are genetically predisposed generate more), which 99.9999% of the time your immune system hunts and kills them. It's the ones that get through that go on to develop into a cancer that may require treatment. Thus a compromised immune system will hunt and kill fewer rogue cells.

So I've now got a 2-4% increased risk of secondary cancers apparently.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Hope this link helps
I was offered free transport to the 33 radiotherapy sessions in Brighton but I put my foot down as I can see the radiotherapy unit local to me from my bedroom window

Chef

LE

You got to laugh
A while back suffering from work related depression I was put on Sertraline. After getting more shaky than usual I actually read the possible side effects. Shakes, ok, dryness of mouth or excessive salivation. Hmm hedging your bets here, nightmares and suicidal thoughts. WTAF? That's why I'm on these badgers. I stopped taking them at that point.

The shakes were from other causes and the depression lifted after a bit. But I did learn to read all the paperwork with any medication prescribed.

Ritch

LE
A while back suffering from work related depression I was put on Sertraline. After getting more shaky than usual I actually read the possible side effects. Shakes, ok, dryness of mouth or excessive salivation. Hmm hedging your bets here, nightmares and suicidal thoughts. WTAF? That's why I'm on these badgers. I stopped taking them at that point.

The shakes were from other causes and the depression lifted after a bit. But I did learn to read all the paperwork with any medication prescribed.

Sertraline is horrible.

I was put on it a few years ago, advised to take one as soon as I got in - which I did. Twenty minutes later I'm on the floor having some sort of seizure.

Never touched them again.

ugly

LE
Sertraline is horrible.

I was put on it a few years ago, advised to take one as soon as I got in - which I did. Twenty minutes later I'm on the floor having some sort of seizure.

Never touched them again.
There is nothing quite as frightening as an adverse reaction to meds! Second set of chemo never happened, premeds caused to to crash and piss my jeans! I awoke to the sounds of ecg machines and half a dozen doctors who decided to keep me in again!

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt

You got to laugh
Ok mate. Here it is…been through a tough time n’ a bit more to go now…30 sessions be done before you know it…if you look back ower your life you prob done stuff that was harder and now you gotta get this done..just another one of those things that pops up in life to kick yer nuts..hey ho. Don’t worry about the treatments, the medics have to tell you all the good and bad points. My old man had 30 sessions over 6 weeks. No dramas with that. Can’t help u with the petrol, I got a Deezil motor ( now I’m not saying I nick red Deezil like!). I got a wee problem on the go too and the docs dose me with a bunch of shit to sort it out. Ah wit the fek….don’t worry bout much no more…get a coffee and a donut and don’t get yosel in a tizz about it. Hope you get on ok man ✌

themutiny

Old-Salt
Just received the result of my one year post op CT scan and it’s clear. Nil, nada, zilch anywhere.

I was prompted to seek the result however by the news this morning that my son’s father in law’s broken femur is the result of advanced bone cancer metastasised from his prostate. His daughter is expecting his first grandchild in September. Life is fecking cruel sometimes.

As a rise in my PSA was detected by Haemo consultant and referred to Urology, I've since had the consultation which involved the usual digital exam and was told that the prostate was "although not enlarged was hard and knobbly, definitely not normal" and sent for an MRI that day.

Results are back and consultant and radiologist are happy that it doesn't look malignant "at this stage" and will re-examine in 3-4 months.

Also been referred to Endocrinology as my Testosterone is almost non existent and my thyroid seems overactive.

Hmmmmmmm, not sure where all this is going. One step forward, two steps back.

Also, I'm now on lifetime meds of Lenalidomide following the successful myeloma treatment, however the side effects seems to be a chest and back rash accompanied by dry flaking skin from forehead to neck to chest/back. A bit like peeling skin following mild sunburn. Anybody else out there had anything like this?

DAS

War Hero

You got to laugh
Get someone else to do the driving if at all possible. Radiotherapy can take it out of you.
Another side effect of external beam radiation is it initially makes your cancer grow quicker before it starts to die as it can't regenerate like good tissue cells can.

Latest Threads