Chemo - who’s been through it?

My mate seemed the same, when the chemo made him so ill he couldn't get out of bed and wasnt going to save him just prolong by a month or two he came and asked me to top him, he said he couldnt do it himself. FFS I was nearly in tears.
He left a wife and two daughters both under 11.
Dad only had Chemotherapy the once but it made him even more ill. The Cancer just got too much for him in the end, he lost weight he didn't have, (he was only around 11 Stone at the peak of his Army Career).

surfincivi

Old-Salt
My mate seemed the same, when the chemo made him so ill he couldn't get out of bed and wasnt going to save him just prolong by a month or two he came and asked me to top him, he said he couldnt do it himself. FFS I was nearly in tears.
He left a wife and two daughters both under 11.
I’m so sorry, seen similar when going through chemo only shifts the date. The Liverpool care plan was all the pain killers you want and eased things. Its shit for everyone around so my sympathies Ugly.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
I’m happy with what I have I’m just not sure I could do it again
All I can do is endorse others who cheerfully give each and everyone of us going thro' the dreaded chemo words of of encouragement much appreciated -- my greatest sorrow being my primo quality Scotch doesn't linger like the F%$#*& chemo taste does.

ugly

LE
I’ve pretty much given up drinking, I miss the taste badly

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
My dear, beloved late wife lasted 16 months from diagnosis. Only 30 allowed at the funeral because of COVID.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Still serving, would the daily routines help with dealing such a major loss -- I found this to be very helpful when father shuffled off mortal coil.
She was working from home till 9pm on the Wednesday. Died at midday, Thursday. A wonderful woman. I retired more than 20 years ago to raise the children.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I only hope I can show your determination when I'm faced with this loss -- brave man!
Bit of a bummer. A bloke and 10 years older. The thought didn’t cross my mind that she would die first. Well, not until autumn 2019.

It's now 5 weeks since being given the 6th and final dose.
PSA is down to 1.8 so all looks good.

Side effects are now going - or at least reducing,
Taste is almost back - can't describe how great that is
Head hair is returning - only light fuzz atm but not red!
Facial hair only growing slowly- and is very patchy
Fingers tingle a bit and I still drop things but the thick layer of skin that grew has not returned.
Can walk up stairs without stopping but upper legs ache if I put too much stress on them
Since #3 have had some swelling of my feet and now one foot is slightly swollen and the ball is numb whilst the other foot up to the knee is swollen- seen GP and no DVT so it's feet up and elastic stockings for a while and no real worries as the swelling goes down overnight.

I was thinking Great, all goes well- until the phone call from the consultant to say
"We think some radiotherapy to the tumour will help with things" "Nothing to worry about just a little extra help"
Mmmmm, we shall see.
So just as I think visits are over it's back to hospital for 6 sessions of radiotherapy
But one visit a week during July will soon pass

ugly

LE
So just as I think visits are over it's back to hospital for 6 sessions of radiotherapy
Be aware that if you use a moisturiser between treatments only E45 has no metallic content and therefore is safe

Fingers tingle a bit and I still drop things but the thick layer of skin that grew has not returned.
Can walk up stairs without stopping but upper legs ache if I put too much stress on them
Since #3 have had some swelling of my feet and now one foot is slightly swollen and the ball is numb whilst the other foot up to the knee is swollen- seen GP and no DVT so it's feet up and elastic stockings for a while and no real worries as the swelling goes down overnight.

I was thinking Great, all goes well- until the phone call from the consultant to say
"We think some radiotherapy to the tumour will help with things" "Nothing to worry about just a little extra help"
Mmmmm, we shall see.
Wish you all the best mate.

Mmmmm, we shall see.

Too early for a quick chorus of: "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life"?

Ah, well, then, in that case: Chin up, mucker. Nearly there.

Latest Threads