Chemo - who’s been through it?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Fingers crossed that it's still shrinking.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Fingers crossed that it's still shrinking.
Yep, it’s gone from around 3cms to about 5mm after just 2 rounds of chemo.

That’s not verified by a doctor, just her own reckoning using a ruler, but still good news.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
Off thread but don’t the Swedish or Finnish (other Scandinavian countries are available) make something like that out of home brewed cider?

Make some very strong homebrew scrumpy, put it in a shallow tray and leave it outside over night to freeze.

Remove ice and what’s left is basically the alcohol and the highly concentrated remnants of the scrumpy.

By all accounts, you can get ABVs up in the 40s using this method but it can make you blind because a lot of the dodgy chemicals that would normally be removed by a distilling process, are still there.
Thank you from the heart of my bottom to learn how to boost scrumpy
Off thread but don’t the Swedish or Finnish (other Scandinavian countries are available) make something like that out of home brewed cider?

Make some very strong homebrew scrumpy, put it in a shallow tray and leave it outside over night to freeze.

Remove ice and what’s left is basically the alcohol and the highly concentrated remnants of the scrumpy.

By all accounts, you can get ABVs up in the 40s using this method but it can make you blind because a lot of the dodgy chemicals that would normally be removed by a distilling process, are still there.
Thank you for a most informative msg -i have a few very fruitful apple trees that I hope to supply my needs for primo quality scrumpy -- so distillation will eliminate bad chemicals and leave me with something like French apple brandy to go with the pork chops---brilliant

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you from the heart of my bottom to learn how to boost scrumpy

Thank you for a most informative msg -i have a few very fruitful apple trees that I hope to supply my needs for primo quality scrumpy -- so distillation will eliminate bad chemicals and leave me with something like French apple brandy to go with the pork chops---brilliant
And you could always put it in the car if you're short of petrol.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yeah she’s doing the jabs herself and has been since round 1 of chemo.
My dear wife was severely immunocompromised and needed careful looking after. I was never more than 10 minutes away. Your wife is in different circumstances, so glad to hear your report.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Cheers for all the responses team. Some really good advice and it’s good to hear we aren’t alone.

Respect to all those who’ve been through, or are going through this and my deepest thoughts and sympathy to those who’ve lost people.
Worth trying this stuff as a food replacement: Huel | Complete Food (the powder stuff, not the dehydrated meals)

Leave aside all the vegan futurist PR bollocks - it's basically a gruel/oatmeal milkshake like a protein powder, but with all the bits of a required diet. In this case the stuff being bland and unpalatable is actually a benefit, because it doesn't trigger most of the things that make it difficult to keep food down, and it's instantly digestible. If you can keep water down, you can probably keep this down.

Used it in various situations where it was difficult to cook/carry/have food as well as when ill and unable to keep food down, and it's not winning any Michelin stars but it works.

Worth trying this stuff as a food replacement: Huel | Complete Food (the powder stuff, not the dehydrated meals)

Leave aside all the vegan futurist PR bollocks - it's basically a gruel/oatmeal milkshake like a protein powder, but with all the bits of a required diet. In this case the stuff being bland and unpalatable is actually a benefit, because it doesn't trigger most of the things that make it difficult to keep food down, and it's instantly digestible. If you can keep water down, you can probably keep this down.

Used it in various situations where it was difficult to cook/carry/have food as well as when ill and unable to keep food down, and it's not winning any Michelin stars but it works.
Much better to put fresh cooked veg through the blender and make soups if you cant get solids down, there`s no substitute for the real thing .

Sounds like things are going extremely well @Ravers, considering the situation ofc. Your wife appears to be booting f*ck out of this horrific disease, good on her. Sure her total recovery won't be far away. All the best man

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Much better to put fresh cooked veg through the blender and make soups if you cant get solids down, there`s no substitute for the real thing .
I mean, there is substitute for the real thing, that's sort of the point. Also I think you'll find people often cannot keep down blended vegetables etc. There is a difference in process between powdering and dehydrating stuff and having it as a milkshake and blending wet food. For whatever reason, many find the first is easier to keep down and digest.

This isn't really a "what is best in the best of all possible worlds" problem, it's a "what's the best thing that works" problem. It's effectively a version of what hospitals provide patients under similar conditions.

I'm not a proponent for Huel at all, but this whole 'real' thing is an absolute myth. As long as it isn't toppers with sugar or salt and has all of the required nutrients in it, there's nothing wrong with buying stuff in. Especially here, where there is no requirement for Michelin stars, only to get the right stuff in in a palatable manner. Some bollocks home made smoothie sounds very fashionable, but might not have all of the right stuff.

I'm not a proponent for Huel at all, but this whole 'real' thing is an absolute myth. As long as it isn't toppers with sugar or salt and has all of the required nutrients in it, there's nothing wrong with buying stuff in. Especially here, where there is no requirement for Michelin stars, only to get the right stuff in in a palatable manner. Some bollocks home made smoothie sounds very fashionable, but might not have all of the right stuff.
There is a need for fresh foods ,although cooked to Michelin standards is not necessary , look up who lives the longest/healthiest lives ,those on a Mediterranean diet and certain cultures in Japan , its certainly not those on synthetic and manufactured / processed foods.

There is a need for fresh foods ,although cooked to Michelin standards is not necessary , look up who lives the longest/healthiest lives ,those on a Mediterranean diet and certain cultures in Japan , its certainly not those on synthetic and manufactured / processed foods.
We'll agree to disagree, but out of respect for Mrs Ravers, I'll move away from this subject on this thread, and stick to 'Get Well Soon Wife of Shippers'.

Blogg

LE

Very strong links between diets and cancer, infrequent consumption of green vegetables and high sugar/high fat diets being particularly bad news.

GP friend told me many years ago that changing patterns of consumption in those areas traditionally associated with "Mediterranean" style diets was driving a surge in cancer rates.

As for Huel, we have a fair bit of it left after No.2 son tried it gor a while. I call it Hurl and nobody disagrees

Very strong links between diets and cancer, infrequent consumption of green vegetables and high sugar/high fat diets being particularly bad news.

GP friend told me many years ago that changing patterns of consumption in those areas traditionally associated with "Mediterranean" style diets was driving a surge in cancer rates.

As for Huel, we have a fair bit of it left after No.2 son tried it gor a while. I call it Hurl and nobody disagrees
I think Huel / Hurl would only being good in emergencies / when there's no other option.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
I mean, there is substitute for the real thing, that's sort of the point. Also I think you'll find people often cannot keep down blended vegetables etc. There is a difference in process between powdering and dehydrating stuff and having it as a milkshake and blending wet food. For whatever reason, many find the first is easier to keep down and digest.

This isn't really a "what is best in the best of all possible worlds" problem, it's a "what's the best thing that works" problem. It's effectively a version of what hospitals provide patients under similar conditions.
I do find Mrs. M's blend of yoghurt and fruit a quite tasty sort of thick milkshake that passes for a meal as a sub for a knife and fork spread for those times when you really don't want to face a plateful of nosh

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure if it's been written about but you can get care baskets particularly for ladies suffering from chemo.

These contain goods specially selected to moderate the worst side effects of chemo.

My mum was diagnosed back in December 2020, she had cancer in her bladder and cervix. She had umpteen rounds of chemo, they were being very aggressive with it and she has recently had a scan which confirms she's all okay now.

Her taste buds have just come back to life, she couldn't eat much because of a horrible metallic taste, but the chemo affected her sense of balance, pain in hands and feet- all sorts of issues.

I think that the best thing you can do for Lady Ravers is just be there for her. Mop her brow, get her fluffy pillows and be attentive.

Latest Threads