Chemo - who’s been through it?

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Sounds good. It was my youngest daughter who came up with the seed pads, she is a bit of a Gretta Thunberg but far nicer.
I got those heat pads as I don't have a microwave.... the wheat bags used to be the go to bit of kit but I find the mini blankets are much better as you control the heat settings, and they have a safety cut out so you don't burn yourself.

I got those heat pads as I don't have a microwave.... the wheat bags used to be the go to bit of kit but I find the mini blankets are much better as you control the heat settings, and they have a safety cut out so you don't burn yourself.
Too late for me but I use the bags to warm up my half empty bed now. The mini blankets may be much better I stick with the older methods because that is what gave me comfort then. I find it hard to think forward now. I may not be a great example.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Too late for me but I use the bags to warm up my half empty bed now. The mini blankets may be much better I stick with the older methods because that is what gave me comfort then. I find it hard to think forward now. I may not be a great example.
Well it's not like there's a timetable for this sort of thing, you have to go at your own pace, and use whatever you feel gives you comfort.

Aphra

War Hero
Reading others' experience of sense of taste being affected and that Lady Ravers likes the fruit teas made me think of these:

They have the benefit that, no matter how long you leave the bag in, it doesn't get that stewed taste. They aren't sweetened and I find they generally taste better than the hot fruit teas which, to me, have the scent of fruit but not the flavour. In warmer weather I tend to make a few up at night and store some in the fridge and some in the freezer with the latter being to go in my bag if I'm out and about. The water bottles that they sell for these aren't great but I imagine Lady R as a runner has plenty of better ones.

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt
We’re now on the back end of this chemo cycle which means she’s feeling pretty normal. She even managed a 2 mile run yesterday.

Her routine is chemo every three weeks. She feels like shite for about 10 days after the chemo and then gradually gets a bit better until the next hit. We’re trying to plan our lives around the back end of each chemo cycle when she feels relatively ok.

As the chemo progresses the 10 days of feeling like shite get gradually worse. By the 6th (and last) chemo hit she’ll be pretty much bedridden.

On the plus side there has already been noticeable difference and the lump is definitely shrinking, even after just one blast of chemo. She also hasn’t lost any hair yet but is losing weight. There wasn’t much of her to start with but she’s getting really skinny now.

Other side effects have included weird rashes, itching and nosebleeds which don’t stop and require a trip to A&E.

The biggest pain is having to travel everywhere. It seems like every step in this journey takes place at a completely different place. MRIs and CTs in Manchester, consultations at a different hospital in Manchester, an ECG last week in Barrow, chemo itself in Kendal, a pre chemo PCR test in Lancaster and A&E in Carlisle.

I’m spending half my life driving at the moment. But at least the journeys take her mind off things and we can get a decent lunch in town if she feels up to it.

Kids are OK but our daughter seems to have something going on. Since all this started she’s suddenly decided that she doesn’t like staying overnight at school anymore (they board 3 nights a week). She used to absolutely love it but we’ve had a few tearful phone calls recently that are completely out of character. I’m just trying to keep their minds off things by keeping them busy.

Next hit of chemo is on Thursday, so this weekend and all of next week is basically a write off while I play nurse again. One of the chefs at the pub pulled an absolute blinder for us and has made a ton of meals that we can freeze and just reheat when required. Homemade lasagnes, cottage pies etc. What a legend, certainly makes life a little easier.
Still haven’t got round to going through all my PMs and properly reading the replies on this thread. I’ll get round to it eventually.
Hey bro…she’s probably fine being away from home when all’s good but if your away from home and stuff going on it makes it harder to be away. What the chef done for you was kinda cool…lotta folk rootin for you guys. ✌

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
She had her second dose of chemo yesterday, got home and went straight out for a 4 mile run.

Some good news though, the cancer has undoubtedly shrunk and the doc says they may be able to reduce her chemo dose if the improvement continues.

Not sure if it’s a reaction to the steroids or the chemo but she woke up completely red this morning. Looked like she’d been majorly sunburnt. It slowly subsided as the day went on and she’s back to normal now.

She still feels ok. Last time it took 2 or 3 days for the rankness and tiredness of the chemo to kick in so we’re expecting fun and games tomorrow.

She says she kinda likes the sickness and pain because it feels like it’s doing something. “If it makes me feel like this, imagine what it’s doing to the cancer.”

This is the mentality of a marathon runner. Pain is weakness leaving the body and all that.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
She had her second dose of chemo yesterday, got home and went straight out for a 4 mile run.

Some good news though, the cancer has undoubtedly shrunk and the doc says they may be able to reduce her chemo dose if the improvement continues.

Not sure if it’s a reaction to the steroids or the chemo but she woke up completely red this morning. Looked like she’d been majorly sunburnt. It slowly subsided as the day went on and she’s back to normal now.

She still feels ok. Last time it took 2 or 3 days for the rankness and tiredness of the chemo to kick in so we’re expecting fun and games tomorrow.

She says she kinda likes the sickness and pain because it feels like it’s doing something. “If it makes me feel like this, imagine what it’s doing to the cancer.”

This is the mentality of a marathon runner. Pain is weakness leaving the body and all that.
Good news then. You are still welcome for that brew.

Its a long road mate , my Missus has been having targeted therapy treatment for four years now , it does appear to be working , I just had a three year check up , all clear , you can recover or it can be managed for a very long time if not.

ugly

LE
Someone mentioned the tattoo dot you get when preparing for radiotherapy
I’d forgotten about it and over the last few months wondered why I’d grown a black spot next to my main surgical scar
I thought that I’d developed an ingrowing hair as a result of the surgery but it’s not tender or swollen or even indicative of a cyst!
It’s my silly location dot for the upper torso mask I wore!
Duh!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
A week since her last chemo.

This round seems to have been a lot better than the first. No trips to A&E and just some stomach aches that she’s managing with the pills they’ve given her.

The pills knock her out and she’s still spending a lot of time in bed, but nowhere near to the extent of last time.

She’s looking a bit thinner and paler than normal but otherwise is pretty much her usual self. There is some minor hair loss and we’re finding the odd clump of hair in bed but she still doesn’t look like your average cancer patient.

We have a family funeral on Saturday which will be her first non treatment related outing in weeks. Will have to keep masked up and go big on the hand sanitizer but I think she’ll be ok.

I think she’s more arsed about having to go through the rigmarole of talking about cancer to all her relatives than about catching anything.

It sounds like she is coping pretty robustly mate, which is good to hear.

ugly

LE
A week since her last chemo.

This round seems to have been a lot better than the first. No trips to A&E and just some stomach aches that she’s managing with the pills they’ve given her.

The pills knock her out and she’s still spending a lot of time in bed, but nowhere near to the extent of last time.

She’s looking a bit thinner and paler than normal but otherwise is pretty much her usual self. There is some minor hair loss and we’re finding the odd clump of hair in bed but she still doesn’t look like your average cancer patient.

We have a family funeral on Saturday which will be her first non treatment related outing in weeks. Will have to keep masked up and go big on the hand sanitizer but I think she’ll be ok.

I think she’s more arsed about having to go through the rigmarole of talking about cancer to all her relatives than about catching anything.
Be very careful as she will be severely immuno compromised thanks to the chemo
Anyone with a sniffle should be avoided like the plague
Has she had to have the belly jabs for white blood cells yet?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Be very careful as she will be severely immuno compromised thanks to the chemo
Anyone with a sniffle should be avoided like the plague
Has she had to have the belly jabs for white blood cells yet?
Yeah she’s doing the jabs herself and has been since round 1 of chemo.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt

I'm 1/4 through my chemo series of every fortnight for 5 months and apart from tiredness i do like to bimble about with Mrs M as she shops and manfully try to slip unwarranted goodies into her shopping cart like Ice Beer { a peculiar Canuck invention which raises ABV to 5.5% } however, She Who Must Be Obeyed being Chartered Accountant nothing gets by her so I guess she's being kind and allows an8 pack of Golden Throat Charmer to mingle with the groceries. Apparently orange juice or Seville oranges are akin to Kryptonite and no-no. Anyway, we march on.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm 1/4 through my chemo series of every fortnight for 5 months and apart from tiredness i do like to bimble about with Mrs M as she shops and manfully try to slip unwarranted goodies into her shopping cart like Ice Beer { a peculiar Canuck invention which raises ABV to 5.5% } however, She Who Must Be Obeyed being Chartered Accountant nothing gets by her so I guess she's being kind and allows an8 pack of Golden Throat Charmer to mingle with the groceries. Apparently orange juice or Seville oranges are akin to Kryptonite and no-no. Anyway, we march on.
Best of luck with it chap. I hope everything works out and you’re back to drinking your nasty Canadian piss water ASAP.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Off thread but don’t the Swedish or Finnish (other Scandinavian countries are available) make something like that out of home brewed cider?

Make some very strong homebrew scrumpy, put it in a shallow tray and leave it outside over night to freeze.

Remove ice and what’s left is basically the alcohol and the highly concentrated remnants of the scrumpy.

By all accounts, you can get ABVs up in the 40s using this method but it can make you blind because a lot of the dodgy chemicals that would normally be removed by a distilling process, are still there.

Latest Threads