Chelsea Pensioners

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Lepus, Apr 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats with the ranks that the Chelsea pensioners wear? Is it what they retired with, or are they given them when they enter Chelsea?

2. They display the ranks that they had when they left the Army.

3. Was chatting to a Chelsea SGT in Bovvy last cambrai. He said they have all ranks as stated above! Time served and being single, is the critical factor I think, but please shout me down if I am wrong.

4. Spoke to an old red coat some years ago who told me that the rank thing was a volunteer type basis, you could be a WO2 in the regs and opt to take private rank in the RH, alternatively......you could have been a private in the machine and opt to take 3 stripes on entry to the RH. He said that the rank system was more of a 'yeah, if you want to' situation. He also told me that their pensions are paid directly to the hospital and that basically constitutes their board and lodge for living, eating and drinking there. I do stand to be adjusted on this mind, and maybe there is an incumbent who can set us all straight on the rules and regulations for entry and ranks these days ?

5. Some limited info here Dragoon. http://www.answers.com/topic/chelsea-pensioner

6. Thanks for that Mad-Mac, cant wait till my 65th birthday, application in already !!

7. Must do away with "her indoors" and cut my legs off. Will be able to get in at 55!!!!!!

8. I hope you all realise that by exposing your email addresses here you're liable to financial attack by the Big Chief at the Royal Hospital; Brig Ratazzi has you tabbed!

(Go on: donate. He cornered me and rifled my wallet when I last mentioned the RH here, but it's worth it!)

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I asked why some gentlemen had gold backing behind their cockade on the tricorn hats and the hospital RSM informed me they were the retired SNCO's.

10. Brig Ratazzi owes me $2 for lunch when I was his Chief Clerk in MFO Sinai! My old Regimental Colonel is the Governor and he keeps asking me for money too!

11. Yet again, something else that I don't bleedin' qualify for. :roll:

12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Do any of you have a Chelsea pensioner that your unit sponsors? We used to have a couple come to the mess who had some trade/corps link with us. Used to get them leathered and listen to the war stories. Brilliant.

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

There is a Pensioner who attends our reunions and he was in when I joined, just. He loves the craic but being a Operating Theatre Tech his war stories are bit dull.

14. You can volunteer to carry out hospital duties and be awarded 'hospital rank', but you cannot pick and chose what you want to be! If you carry our duties you are paid an extra allowance on top of your 'chelsea allowance' paid to all 'in-pensioners' and wear 'hospital rank' of broader chevrons on your daily blues, but you cannot just put up 3 chevrons because you fancy it!

If you see a Chelsea Pensioner in his Scarlet Tunic and it has Gold Bread on the cuffs, then he holds 'hospital rank' those without are retired NCO's

We had 3 ex-RAOC in-pensioners at our reunion at Bicester last weekend. They were a Retired Sub-Conductor, Retired Sergeant and a 'Hospital Orderly Sergeant' who was in fact a Retired Sergeant anyway!