Chelsea Pensioners on TV

In case you missed it first time round:

DOCUMENTARY: Once a Soldier
On: BBC 4
Date: Thursday 5th April 2007 (starting in 5 days)
Time: 20:30 to 21:00 (30 minutes long)
(Repeated Fri 6 Apr at 00:00 and 03:30)

Documentary series about the Chelsea Pensioners. Each new pensioner has to find their own way of fitting back into an army way of life at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. After 58 years of marriage, recently widowed 79-year old Len Tough is brought to the hospital by his two daughters for a four day trial to see if he is to be accepted into the ranks of the men in scarlet. 101-year- old Bill Swingler reveals the secret of his long life.
(Subtitles)

Date: Thursday 12th April 2007
(Repeat Fri 13 Apr 02:20)
New Boys.
Documentary series about the Chelsea Pensioners, former British soldiers who live within the Royal Hospital in Chelsea. Every year about fifty old soldiers die at the hospital, making room for new men to join the ranks. 90-year old former Japanese PoW Wally Hilling and 76-year-old Bill Brierley leave family, friends and homes to live in a small, square windowless berth and become uniform-wearing Chelsea Pensioners. How will they handle the transition from civvy to new recruit?

Date: Thursday 19th April 2007 (starting in 19 days)

Documentary series about the Chelsea Pensioners, former British soldiers who live within the Royal Hospital in Chelsea. All leave is cancelled as all 300 Chelsea Pensioners are ordered to the parade ground as HM the Queen takes the salute on Founders Day. But in the hottest June since records began, how will the massed ranks of the Pensioners cope?

Date: Friday 20th April 2007 (starting in 19 days)
Time: 00:00 to 00:30 (30 minutes long)
(Repeated Fri 20 Apr at 00:00 and 03:00)

Documentary series about the Chelsea Pensioners, former British soldiers who live within the Royal Hospital in Chelsea. All leave is cancelled as all 300 Chelsea Pensioners are ordered to the parade ground as HM the Queen takes the salute on Founders Day. But in the hottest June since records began, how will the massed ranks of the Pensioners cope?
(Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1932
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Thanks for that. I was seeing red when I missed it the first time round.

Thanks a lot for bringing that to my attention - their is also an excellent book called 'Soldiers'.

This book deals with the lives before these formidable men become pensioners and their life once an in pensioner.

A truly fascinating and worthwhile read...

Thanks for this excellent infomation i will definitely be watching
A excellent book to read is
The Royal Hospital Chelsea,the place the people by Dan Cruickshank
ISBN 1903942276 gives its history and stories from the pensioners who reside there
you can order it from London Library via your local library however expect a very long wait

A bump and some additional info about the last 5 episodes from the official page
http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/subpages.asp?SubID=11

'Comrades In Arms' - Thursday 26th April
Frank Chambers, aged 90, and Joe Britton, aged 95, first became mates as Royal Fusiliers in India in 1936 - then lost touch. After nearly seventy years they meet again as Chelsea Pensioners and rekindle their friendship. Dougie Huxley, aged 86, and Don Smith met on their first day as new recruits at The Royal Hospital Chelsea and became inseperable. Is their past as soldiers the reason their bonds of friendship are so strong?

'Soldiering On' - Thursday 3rd May
The Royal Hospital Chelsea needs to raise serious money to pay for maintaining its Grade 1 listed building and construction of a new £25 million Infirmary. The Hospital becomes the backdrop to a Bollywood movie and a period drama, but the old soldiers also need to rely on friends in high places to fund a long-term survival plan. Increasingly infirm Chelsea Pensioner 'Windy' Gale needs nursing care and is moving berth and clearing out 60 years of memories.

'Ladies In Waiting' - Thursday 10th May
Women are coming to The Royal Hospital Chelsea. It's a case of when, not if. But is this all male bastion prepared for the first women in scarlet? Ex-Regimental Sergeant Major Agnes Doig (aged 75), Second World War girl-gunner Barbara Wetherall (aged 81) and Warrant Officer Winifred Phillips (aged 80) visit - and put the Hospital and the men through their paces to see if life at The Royal Hospital Chelsea could be for them.

'Not Forgotten' - Thursday 17th May
At The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Armistice Day approaches. Memories of the wars the men fought remain vivid and painful. To honour their fallen comrades a dozen Chelsea Pensioners hope to be passed fit enough to walk down the steps of the Royal Albert Hall's Festival of Remembrance and to march past the Cenotaph. But at the Hospital, the poppy collection box is stolen, the culprit is caught on CCTV. If they catch him, what style of justice will he receive at the hands of the old soldiers?

'Changing The Guard' - Thursday 24th May
The Royal Hospital Chelsea has been told it needs to shape up for the 21st Century. But how do a group of old soldiers, whose average age is 83, cope with the changes? From cyber cafes and a gym, to revolutionary discussions about whether to have en-suite bathrooms in the Grade 1 listed berths, the Pensioners make clear their views to the modernising new top brass. Arnhem veteran Vic Massingham, aged 81, is unfazed by the upheaval, determined only to retain his bowls club crown.

Get your arrses down to the Albert pub in Victoria, London to see these chaps on the lash. A pint a story for the tourists and half price beer from the Landlord. Had the time of my life being invited to a garden party at the Chelsea Hospital by 'Moishe' ex-CS in one of the Guards Regiments. Fantastic blokes who are more than capable of drinking visitors under the table in their twilight years. Top blokes and no mistake, guv'nor.

I know I'm a crab barstard, but it still makes me proud to see the Pensioners. They have a dignity all of their own.
I was lucky enough to help host a couple of them when they were invited to take part in our Rememberance Ceremony a few years back. Stories galore and the old buggers verily raped my bar book - but every pint was willingly given. Glad we have them.