Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chefs Privileges and quirky habits

Tongnye

Clanker
The major breeding companies cornered the market and bred only for speedy growth/weight gain under controlled conditions.
The results are very cheap bland meat, excess fat, leg tendon problems and dependence on antibiotics. Horrendous conditions for the poor beasts and more pants piri piri joints than pubs in Deal.
Had Abrilliant idea in my early zookeeping days,being spoiled in my last kitchen before ileft the RGJ in Celleon my 3 monthly visits to the hatchery to pick up a couple of 100000 dead cockeral chicks, for raptorfood i got them to let me have 250 live cockeral chicks to fatten up, fed the buggers for 3 months on mast futter not one was over a pound in weight, not even worth plucking scrawny buggers. learnd my lesson

I used to like to go over the chicken carcasse after it was all served up. There's a ton of great bits hidden away if you're willing to dig around for it. The 'oysters' being a favourite.
Also the bits around the edges, when you make lasagne, cauliflower cheese etc.
Drives me nuts when the OH dumps the dish straight into the sink.

Parson's nose? Best bit of the chicken.

I eat a piece of raw beef or lamb off the joint prior to cooking for Quality Control purposes.
The cooked chicken skin, the Mrs guards it with a large sharp knife to stop me snaffling it.
Pork crackling is the same. I've been threatened with divorce for nicking it all.

A pinch of raw, good quality mince, properly seasoned, is a thing of beauty. I learned this while I was working in a Saffa restaurant. Braii is quite good too.

something else that doesn't exactly fall under the chef category but possibly related - Abu loofkar is partial to entering the kitchen and taking a sip of the liquid in the jar of (vinegar) pickled cucumbers. Perhaps we should all try doing that - he'll be a hundred and six in October.

There's something that takes away the sting of vinegar. It's the most complex and varied flavour I've ever had.

My mum kept a jar of schmaltz she would collect when cooking chickens. One delicacy she used it for was egg and onion. Sliced cut onions fried in schmaltz until golden and slightly sweet. Tiny pieces of liver fried in the same schmaltz. All mixed with crumbled boiled eggs - eaten as a cold hors d'oeuvre after synagogue on Saturday morning.

Chicken liver? I can see that working with a bit of peri peri while doing the onions and some dill to garnish, served on toast.

Leave 2 pounds of sausages, 2 pounds of bacon and 4 pints of milk in the car for two weeks in the hottest summer for years.
I can assure you that you will not notice the coffee ground smell.
(took weeks to lose the stink)

Going to have to elevenerife you on this one. Try 25kg of raw chicken packed in a cardboard tray that had gone green and runny by the time I remembered it was there.

That BMW was never the same after that.

A pinch of raw, good quality mince, properly seasoned, is a thing of beauty. I learned this while I was working in a Saffa restaurant. Braii is quite good too.

Best place to nick it is out of the boerewors before it goes on the grill.

The wife does not like the burnt end of the beef, so I am lucky in always getting it. My daughter has not had the chance to try it yet. Nor will she whilst I serve it.
She does know how to use a toaster, when she was three she woke us up and asked us to get the butter out of the fridge. When asked why she said for her toast. She’d dragged the chair across the kitchen to get to the toaster. As normal for kids she wouldn’t touch the crust around a slice of bread, but will now blag crust for toast. Little git. That’s all of us in the house who want the crust now.

Cake bowl scrapings go to the daughter and I. Some friends gave us funny looks when they saw us eating that. They'd never done that, nor their kids. Raw eggs apparently. I will also have the crispy burnt bits of cake that I can get off the pan.

Excess mashed potato I will put aside for the next and fry until I get nice crispy black bits in it. This goes into a sandwich. I have even had some off the daughters plate that she left.

RP.

Add finely chopped bacon and cabbage; make it Colcannon.

Going to have to elevenerife you on this one. Try 25kg of raw chicken packed in a cardboard tray that had gone green and runny by the time I remembered it was there.

That BMW was never the same after that.
A kipper under the seat of my brother’s Triumph Spitfire passenger seat left a subtle odour of rotting fish. Bastard shouldn’t have tried to pull my girlfriend.

Had Abrilliant idea in my early zookeeping days,being spoiled in my last kitchen before ileft the RGJ in Celleon my 3 monthly visits to the hatchery to pick up a couple of 100000 dead cockeral chicks, for raptorfood i got them to let me have 250 live cockeral chicks to fatten up, fed the buggers for 3 months on mast futter not one was over a pound in weight, not even worth plucking scrawny buggers. learnd my lesson

The males get the thin end of the wedge in the egg and poultry industry. They are only needed at the breeding production level and even then, only one male for every seven to ten females.
The rest face extermination as newly hatched chicks, which in many cases is not done humanely.
Even being a breeder male can be lethal. I once saw a group of males put in with a flock of females for breeding. The group was immediately surrounded by the females, which began viciously pecking at them without pause, until the farmer had to remove the males to save them. The males were shaking from shock and some of them karked it shortly afterwards.
I'll not forget the sight of those forlorn males, bunched together in a tight group in the centre of the pen and all the females charging at them from all sides.

Last edited:

Tongnye

Clanker
some people have no shame
I spilled a tub of maggots in the boot of my car, must have missed some when putting my fishing gear away,a couple of weeks later ,halfway round the M25 there was abuzing in the heating vents out popped a big black fly, closely followed by 1000,s of his mates,herself was not best pleased, no crackling for me for a while!!

I spilled a tub of maggots in the boot of my car, must have missed some when putting my fishing gear away,a couple of weeks later ,halfway round the M25 there was abuzing in the heating vents out popped a big black fly, closely followed by 1000,s of his mates,herself was not best pleased, no crackling for me for a while!!

Maggots are fcuking horrible. I can remember doing areas one morning, and finding a bait box on the wndow-ledge of one of the blocks that had been vacated a month or so back. When we opened it, the maggots had turned to porridge and the smell was unreal. The lads quickly told me to replace the lid, and hoy it in the skip.

I did that as a kid in the boot of my dad's car.
He was less than happy.

For me, one of the best chef's privaleges is the tasting spoon for use during cooking.

Sometimes however, the tasting spoon (teaspoon) gets replaced with the tasting spoon (desert spoon).

And of course the obligatory glass of wine or pint of cider (depending on what is being cooked) that must be repleneshed during the cooking process.

Latest Threads