Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chefs Privileges and quirky habits

I know there are a good many amateur chefs (and professionally qualified ones too!) on here who like to share their efforts with the site - the “Tonight I cooked” thread being a great example.
I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen and always have, not just because we are in lockdown. It’s always been the way in our marriage - I do most of the savoury cooking and the missus does the baking and desserts.
Anyhow, down to the purpose of the thread! When I’m preparing meals, like many others no doubt, I play the Chefs Privilege card - I always get the end bit of a joint of meat as an obvious example, plus extra sausages or bacon!
But there are other privileges or more accurately, quirks that I have developed over the years. Today, I was preparing a salmon and cucumber sandwich for our lunch and I always punch two holes in the lid of the salmon tin and drink the liquid contents before opening the tin properly.
When we had mushy peas with our Fish the other night, I always have a spoon or two of cold peas directly out of the tin before heating through. There are other eating habits I’ve developed over the years, but what about you? What are your Chef privileges/quirky eating habits you’ve developed over the years?
I realise this could go off in all kinds of weird directions, but what the hell, we’re on lockdown! :grin:

Last edited:
I know there are a good many amateur chefs (and professionally qualified ones too!) on here who like to share their efforts with the site - the “Tonight I cooked” thread being a great example.
I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen and always have, not just because we are in lockdown. It’s always been the way in our marriage - I do most of the savoury cooking and the missus does the baking and desserts.
Anyhow, down to the purpose of the thread! When I’m preparing meals, like many others no doubt, I play the Chefs Privilege card - I always get the end bit of a joint of meat as an obvious example.
But there are other privileges or more accurately, quirks that I have developed over the years. Today, I was preparing a salmon and cucumber sandwich for our lunch and I always punch two holes in the lid of the salmon tin and drink the contents before opening the tin properly.
When we had mushy peas with our Fish the other night, I always have a spoon or two of cold peas directly out of the tin before heating through. There are other eating habits I’ve developed over the years, but what about you? What are your Chef privileges/quirky eating habits you’ve developed over the years?
I realise this could go off in all kinds of weird directions, but what the hell, we’re on lockdown! :grin:

You need to get a heroin habbit NOW.

When I make beans on toast, eggs on toast, spag hoops on toast or whatever, I always make sure I get the outsider (or the heel as some call in) on the loaf of bread on my plate.

Expecting some other poor sod to clean up the mess you made is, I suspect, a "right" and not a privilege.

Stripping a chicken or guinea fowl junk, I get most of the skin.

The ends of a baguette are mine.

After grating parmesan I always hack a decent lump off to straighten the end up again (that's my excuse anyway).

Wife always eats the lime slices out of our G&Ts; she also eats raw potato slices (shudder).

I eat a piece of raw beef or lamb off the joint prior to cooking for Quality Control purposes.
The cooked chicken skin, the Mrs guards it with a large sharp knife to stop me snaffling it.
Pork crackling is the same. I've been threatened with divorce for nicking it all.

I can remember in the 90s, an advert for a frozen pizza, in which a girl has taken a pizza out of the microwave, and onto the kitchen surface to share with her friends in the next room. You can hear them telling her to hurry as they are hungry, while she cuts a thin slither of pizza for herself, before attempting, unsuccessfully, to straighten the pizza back to a round dish. They notice this when she brings it in, and ask about the strange shape. She is unable to answer properly, as she still has a mouthful of pizza.

I can remember in the 90s, an advert for a frozen pizza, in which a girl has taken a pizza out of the microwave, and onto the kitchen surface to share with her friends in the next room. You can hear them telling her to hurry as they are hungry, while she cuts a thin slither of pizza for herself, before attempting, unsuccessfully, to straighten the pizza back to a round dish. They notice this when she brings it in, and ask about the strange shape. She is unable to answer properly, as she still has a mouthful of pizza.

Frozen pizza.
Microwave.

Shudders.

Issi

War Hero
I used to like to go over the chicken carcasse after it was all served up. There's a ton of great bits hidden away if you're willing to dig around for it. The 'oysters' being a favourite.
Also the bits around the edges, when you make lasagne, cauliflower cheese etc.
Drives me nuts when the OH dumps the dish straight into the sink.

I used to like to go over the chicken carcasse after it was all served up. There's a ton of great bits hidden away if you're willing to dig around for it. The 'oysters' being a favourite.
Oysters are for Sunday night with a glass of whisky.

My peccadillo is drinking the left over gravy at the end. From the jug. It really infuriates the missus.
”Left over gravy?” I hear you shout. As I am the cook, there is always surplus gravy.
Mind you, I used to be acquainted with a half-colonel who would lick his plate clean like he was at prep school.

Jeezus! but you've just reminded me how shite the 90s were *shudder*

Expecting some other poor sod to clean up the mess you made is, I suspect, a "right" and not a privilege.

The ex-MrsPlumehad a theory. When she cooked (thankfully not very often) I cleaned up as I had been fed. When I cooked I cleaned up as I had made the mess.

Luckily except with a few dishes I clear as I cook so not too much effort.

Still do. I strip off all the bits, not forgetting the oysters, and am generally left with more than enough for a decent size chicken pie and/or curry, for three of us.

Latest Threads