Cheese Sarnie time

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

http://www.cheddarometer.com/

As it's lunchtime here in sunny Cheshire, I thought I'd share this with fellow arrsers. Just what you need to get the ideal cheese sarnie.

Yum.

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Cheese sandwiches.......must always be deployed with either marmite (when mixed with Dairylea) or branston pickle (possibly other chutneys).

Cheese sarnies should never be presented as they are in the box of death issued by the Ration Assasians.

3. Screw that effeminate Southern cheese
    What you need on a butty is some nice tasty Lancashire,maybe a sliced onion
    www.lancashirecheese.com

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I never believed that Dairylea was cheese. Surely something as chemical-tasting as that can't possibly have been made from the same ingredients as Cheddar, Lancashire, Cheshire, Brie, Gorgonzola and Stilton?

5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I would normally agree on processed stuff - but there is something about dairylea and marmite on toast!!!!

6. For those of a traditional nature, Asda stock tinned processed cheese in the

'Other Countries' shelves. :eek:

7. Cheese and Jam sandwiches. Don't knock it until you've tried it, it's yum! :nod:

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The compo cheese sarnie:

Ingredients
    2 x slices cheese possessed
    1 x Biscuit Brown - buttered both sides

Method
    Place biscuit brown between slices of cheese possessed

Eat

9. Thought it would be quite nostalgic to try some of this so brought some recently, it was the same as in the compo tins, however it was revolting (as it probably was then), amazing what you will eat when hungry!

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Wensleydale makes an exceptional sandwich, and though it pains me to praise something from the wrong side of the hill, Cheshire isn't bad.

Alternatively, a crusty roll with pecorino, sliced beef tomato, salt and plenty of black pepper, drizzled with olive oil is a real treat.

11. Double yum, also with a base of peanut butter.

Best cheese sarnie in the world is a hunk of brown bread in one hand a wedge of cheese in the other and take alternate bites.
    Pint of ale to wash it down, anything else is elaboration.

12. Without a doubt... although I'm still working out whether they taste better sitting in the back of a 434 with OMD13 fingerprints on them or not.... :D

13. I'll go along with that. One of the most appreciated meals of my life consisted of a fresh loaf of crusty bread, a hunk of cheese and a bottle of local wine, eaten on the bank of the Rhine at Bacharach when I was hiking through during a school holiday almost forty years ago. Unbeatable.

14. Cheddar cheese and Strawberry jam! Yum!!

15. Currently swear by:

granary wholemeal/oatmeal bread
    +
    lashings of garlic and onion dip (used in the lubricative role)
    +
    extra mature farmhouse cheddar

Generally with a calming pint of IPA to make the nasty day go away