Cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese, cheese!

Yes yes I realise that, but is it made out of Caerphilly cheese? And you haven't said anything about your van hire adventure.

Indian cuisine values aroma, spice, & taste. But when it comes to cheese, what's on offer? Bloody paneer, which is bland, uninteresting and resists all attempts to make it taste of anything. Never understood that.
Our Local curry house do paneer tikka as a starter, and I quite like it - not at all bland imho.

MB

Maybe I've just had rubbish examples..
Trick with Paneer is to allow it to marinade for at least 24 hours in a good flavorsome sauce, then fry off in a nice hot pan, get it going soft in the middle and crispy on the outside....lovely.

Also works on a BBQ.

Sainsbury's only saving grace at the moment is its cheese counter. You get some really decent cheeses - including some of the best Cheddar I've ever tasted, that's flavoured with sea salt and wrapped in blue wax.

I love a nice bit of Stilton!
It's particularly nice in a small baguette with sliced beef, done under the grill until the Stilton melts into the beef and bread.
(Slice the baguette along the top and open it up so that it forms a wedge shape, but don't split it into two. Line the inside of the wedge with as much cold beef as you like and then place chunks of Stilton on the top of the beef. Grill until the cheese melts.)

If you're in or near London, Neal's Yard Dairy is well worth a visit:
Welcome to Neal's Yard Dairy

I love a nice bit of Stilton!
It's particularly nice in a small baguette with sliced beef, done under the grill until the Stilton melts into the beef and bread.
(Slice the baguette along the top and open it up so that it forms a wedge shape, but don't split it into two. Line the inside of the wedge with as much cold beef as you like and then place chunks of Stilton on the top of the beef. Grill until the cheese melts.)

If you're in or near London, Neal's Yard Dairy is well worth a visit:
Welcome to Neal's Yard Dairy

Get it from direct here. Better than anything from a supermarket .

Get it from direct here. Better than anything from a supermarket .
Thanks for the tip.
I don't buy stuff over the internet - I don't trust the security.
However, I'm close enough to London to be able to visit Neal's Yard Dairy near Borough Market. It's just across the road from the German Deli, so I stock up with bratwurst and zenf at the same time.
And then have a few beers...

Fill your boots!
German Food in the UK - German Deli
Sadly, they don't seem to do Wiener Schnitzel any more.
Lidl had schnitzels in for a while recently, but no sauces; oddly, while visiting a garden centre nearby, the inhouse deli had some grossly overpriced something-like-jaegersosse on the shelf, and so I had a WienerSchnitzel for the first time in decades and a JaegerSchnitzel next day. I feel a trip to Bavaria coming on.

Port-infused Stilton
A bit of an experiment.
I'm hoping to do a Port-infused Stilton as an accompaniment to christmas drinks for my neighbours.
Basically, the idea is to get a round of Stilton, drill a few holes in it and then tip some Port into each hole. Repeat the process once a day, making new holes each time, over about two weeks and then serve with suitable biscuits. The Port soaks into (and through) the cheese so that the sweetness of the Port offsets the slightly bitter taste of the cheese.
I've never done this before and I didn't want to start with a complete round of Stilton because of cost. So I'm experimenting with a small wedge of Stilton and the cheapest bottle of Port that I could find.
Cheese ready to go:

SnapShot-1.jpg

I first tried to make the holes with a kitchen knife, which wasn't really successful:

SnapShot-2.jpg

Then I tried a potato pealer. This was much better, though the holes were a bit large:

SnapShot-3.jpg

I used a small funnel to pour in the Port. A lot flowed down the side of the Stilton. (Should be better with a complete round.)

SnapShot-4.jpg

End result, ready to go into a large sandwich bag (to stop the Stilton from drying and going hard) and then into the fridge until tomorrow. I'll then make another hole and add some more Port. I'll try the result on Monday.

SnapShot-5.jpg

If this comes right, I'll buy a complete round of Stilton at the end of November for drinks about a week or so before Christmas.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Port-infused Stilton
A bit of an experiment.
I'm hoping to do a Port-infused Stilton as an accompaniment to christmas drinks for my neighbours.
Basically, the idea is to get a round of Stilton, drill a few holes in it and then tip some Port into each hole. Repeat the process once a day, making new holes each time, over about two weeks and then serve with suitable biscuits. The Port soaks into (and through) the cheese so that the sweetness of the Port offsets the slightly bitter taste of the cheese.
I've never done this before and I didn't want to start with a complete round of Stilton because of cost. So I'm experimenting with a small wedge of Stilton and the cheapest bottle of Port that I could find.
Cheese ready to go:

View attachment 334322

I first tried to make the holes with a kitchen knife, which wasn't really successful:

View attachment 334323

Then I tried a potato pealer. This was much better, though the holes were a bit large:

View attachment 334324

I used a small funnel to pour in the Port. A lot flowed down the side of the Stilton. (Should be better with a complete round.)

View attachment 334325

End result, ready to go into a large sandwich bag (to stop the Stilton from drying and going hard) and then into the fridge until tomorrow. I'll then make another hole and add some more Port. I'll try the result on Monday.

View attachment 334326

If this comes right, I'll buy a complete round of Stilton at the end of November for drinks about a week or so before Christmas.
Use a bamboo skewer or similar and just drizzle the port on top. I was told not to use metal, but I don't know why.

There's a crowd called Fudge's who do great biscuits for cheese. On the net or half decent shops.

I was given a box of these for Christmas and snapped a tooth on one. I emailed the company, and so they sent me a voucher that I could only redeem by buying more of the bloody things. The funny twats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KGB_resident The Intelligence Cell 50
CrashTestDummy Cookery 67
RRFHASBEEN Cookery 1