Checking a genuine MID

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by smallbore, Nov 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might fall into Walt Hunting but not yet..

A colleague wears an MID Oakleaf on his GSM. I have been unable to find mention of his MiD in the London Gazette.
    It is implied to me that he has "awarded it to himself".

Am I correct that an MiD from possibly the Falklands would be in the London Gazette.

Second question - How would I find out the service record or more correctly, which ribbons an ex-matelot could genuinely wear ?
  2. Put a post on Rum Ration, Arrse sister site for the RN.
  3. Surely if it is on his CSM (correct title, it's Campaign not General) it can't be for the Falklands, that had a separate medal.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

When I got my one and only for NI it was called GSM 1962. It may have changed now but if issued as GSM surely it stays as GSM.
  5. At the danger of being completely wrong - GSM is the General Service Medal (ie NI not Falklands/ Cambodia/ UN etc)] and MiD awarded for service acknowledged by GSM would be thereon?

NI MiDs went in London Gazette.

edited for sausage fingers
  6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

If he got an MiD in the Falklands, then the oak leaf should be on his South Atlantic Medal, not a GSM. And yes, should be listed in the London Gazette.
  7. Not sure if this has been asked as I can't be bothered reading yet another Walt thread, but what caused you to check on your mate's award? Jealous that someone has something you haven't or just a nosey two faced sneaky c*nt? You probably won't even feel that you've done anything wrong should it transpire that his award is genuine.
  8. For general information, those awarded a Mention in Despatches for operations recognised by the GSM 1962 were approved to wear a bronze oak leaf on the medal ribbon if no specific campaign medal applied. All such awards were announced in the appropriate supplement of the London Gazette but I know from experience that some names are not picked up by the online search facility owing to the limitations of the OCR (Optical Character Recognition) process used when scanning the original documents.

The MoD website contains a particularly useful illustrated guide to medals and other awards here.
  9. It still is the GSM and always will be, check out the linky by Dunservin

Maybe you were thinking of the ACSM?!?
  10. I may have got that partially wrong, I'd always called it the GSM but thought it was officially CSM. I've done a quick check on t'internet and it appears the two terms are interchangeable. Excuse deviation from the thread.
  11. It is a GSM. It was introduced was introcued in 1962 as an award to personnel of all services an thus did away with the need fr seperate Army and Navy general service medals. Its irect predecesors are the:

The General Service Medal 1918 - 1962. Introduced in 1923 it eventually had the following clasps:

1. S. Persia
    2. Kurdistan
    3. Iraq
    4. N.W. Persia
    5. Southern Desert Iraq
    6. Northern Kurdistan
    7. Palestine
    8. S.E. Asia 1945-46
    9. Bomb and Mine Clearence 1945-49
    10. Palestine 1945-48
    11. Malaya (George VI)
    12. Malaya (Elizabeth II)
    13. Cyprus
    14. Near East
    15. Arabian Peninsular
    16. Brunei
    17. Canal Zone

The Naval General Service Medal 1915-62. Introduced 1915 and had the following clasps:

1. Persian Gulf 1909-1914
    2. Iraq 1919-20
    3. NW Persia 1919-20
    4. Palestine 1936-39
    5. SE Asia 1945-46
    6. Minesweeping 1945-51
    7. Palestine 1945-48
    8. Malaya (George VI)
    9. Malaya (Elizabeth II)
    10. Yangtze 1949
    11. Bomb and Mine Clearence 1945-53
    12. Bomb and Mine Clearence 1945-46
    13. Bomb and Mine Clearence Mediteranean
    14. Cyprus
    15. Near East
    16. Arabian Peninisula
    17. Brunei
    18. Canal Zone
  12. Further to my last have you considered that the oak leaves are not an MiD but possibly:

Queen's Commendation for Bravery
    Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service
  13. GSM - General Service Medal. Awarded until 2007 with bars such as Borneo, Northern Ireland, Air Operations Iraq etc.

CSM - Campaign Service Medal. Awarded for Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and (I think) Congo. Three different ribbons for the same medal.

The GSM and CSM are two different medals and in no way interchangeable.

Editted for mongness in that I meant OSM (Operational Service Medal) and not CSM. I have not heard of a CSM. (Apart from the big hairy arsed shouty type)
  14. Easiest way is to search for the Falklands Islands Awards List and check name or put in name rank number of individual into search engine of work system or google and he should come up on a Awards List. Be careful of the London Gazette search engine because it can be very inaccurate. If you put in your own details you will se what I mean - it doesn't pick up all my promotions - acting rank etc.

In extreme case you can approach your appointer or MS rep in confidence, who will be able to check.
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours