Check Your Photocard Driving Licence-could cost a £1k Fine

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by rockape34, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE

2. Cow

Cow LE

Well, just checked mine and it expires 09-09-09. My licence was re-issued last year due to a change of address so should have another 9 years to go... Guess it's a good money making exercise then.

3. It must be a photo thing - like updating a passport.

I need to do a change of address, but have also mislaid (it's in a safe place!) the paper segment, so need a new one. I bet they don't ask for a photo, so it will then need renewing again!

tsk tsk tsk

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Must be an arbitrary thing then. I too sent mine off for an address change last year but mine shows as valid until 2011.

Some pretty dodgy lack of consistency there.

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Just having a look on the DVLA website, it seems that:

The expiry isn't for the driving licence, but for the photograph.

So if you had your licence renewed for a change of address/lost/points removal....this DOES NOT change the date your licence needs renewing for the photo.

So you always need to pay the charge for this whetehr your licence has been re-issued 5 times in the last 10 years or not.

S_R

6. Cow

Cow LE

I'm trying to find out information from the DVLA/Direct.gov.uk about replacing an expired licence. I cannot find anything on their websites about replacing a licence due to expiring after 10 years. This is from the Direct.gov.uk about costs:
    Licence Costs

It doesn't mention it, however, you can 'renew the photo' for a cost of £17.50

Can anyone find any documents refering to replacing an expired licence?

Edit: ^ You beat me!

7. Cow

Cow LE

When was your licence valid from?

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Not sure previously: It now says 4a 06-11-07 (date of renewal) so I suspect it must have been 2001 and as pointed out by Sympathetic_Reaction and yourself, it didn't renew when I sent it in.

Ho hum. Should have stuck with my battered old paper one.

Edit to add: But it's only £17.50 in three years time so I'm not that outraged :D

9. Cow

Cow LE

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf40.pdf details these requirements. It also says that DVLA will send you a reminder to this effect to the last registered address for your card. The form doesn't have a link to it that I could find, I had to type it into the address bar.

Did the people who've failed to update their licences recieve reminders and fail to update them or has the DVLA not sent out reminders?

Is the Daily Mail trying to make up news... Clarification from their sources would be nice: Did the people who have/haven't updated their licences when they're due to expire recieved 1. Information detailing the fact that they expire after 10 years (even though it is on the card) 2. Did they recieve renewal notices?

10. Brand spanking new just arrived on my doormat this morning. I look lush and good for 10 years :D

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mine due for an update in 2013 - which will be ten years on from when I added my bike licence to it, even though I've renewed it twice since then to change address, but the photo is still the one I got with my first photo card in 98 or 99. (My MOD 90 was issued in 1994 so all my photo ID show a young sprog of a thing compared to the middle aged fellah who presents himself)