Check out this bad boy !!

I haven't seen an F-22 display prior to 2018 ( same routine as that ) but apparently the early displays were even more jaw-dropping until brass told them to turn it down a bit

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs
I haven't seen an F-22 display prior to 2018 ( same routine as that ) but apparently the early displays were even more jaw-dropping until brass told them to turn it down a bit
Amazing Display. Went to a few displays as a kid as m you old man was in RAF during national Service. We all joined the Army though.. Haha

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Great display, but...

Same for Typhoon and Rafale: it's really funny to watch the USAF finally catching up with the Sukhoi cobra back-flip demonstrations from ~20 years ago. Add thrust-vectoring nozzles to the engines and they might get an airframe that's comparable in manoeuvrability to the latest generations of those antique Russian jets.

If you're doing those sorts of aerobatics in a dog-fighting situation, you're losing energy and hence become easy meat for an ASRAAM or Archer (or Python, 9L, IRIS-T or Mica, take your pick). Most SRAAMs can pull way more g and have proximity fuses anyway. Head-mounted targetting systems and over-the-shoulder shots with fire-and-forget missiles anyone?

But if M_M were here, he'd say that's missing the point - the F22 should never be that close to an opponent in the first place. If it comes to this, the pilot is in serious trouble and should be looking to get away as fast as possible, not wasting valuable energy with these parlour tricks.

Happy Memorial Day!

roninxix

War Hero
If I’d have been the pilot of that thing I can confirm that the cockpit would be full of shit and spew after that display. Probably why I never became a pilot, oh and being thicker that a Gurkhas foreskin.