Check em lads

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by liz_the_nurse, May 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Phil Morris and Mick Riley Cancer Awareness Site

A very interesting and informative site that just proves that every guy should be checking themselves regularly.

Mick Riley is a serving soldier and has told his story, which I am sure will prove to every one of you that you need to check em.

Mick is deployed at the moment, but has promised to post on his return and agrees with the need to raise awareness on this highly important, yet mebarrassing subject.

2. Hiya all,

Mick Riley here, Just to give you a heads up on the site that liz is on about and what it is all about. I am a full screw in 2 LSR in Gutersloh in Germany and I am the Vice Chairman of Way back in 1996, I was unfortunate enough to end up with testicular cancer. At the time there was not a lot of info available on the disease and being the young stubborn squaddie i left the sore bollock for a while before i went on sick parade. It was found that i had cancer and I went under the knife to have me knackered knacker whipped out. 6 months to a year later the cancer returned in my stomach and i had to have 4 months of BEP Chemotherapy. a year later the cancer returned again and saw me go under the knife again for a major Operation which left me with an 18 inch scar down my guts. Phill, the chairman is an old friend, ex RCT who i lost touch with back in 94. we managed to get back in touch and he developed the same disease shortly afterwards. to cut a long story short Philly set up the website with funding from none other than Paul Weller and his drummer Steve White. he then invited me along. Our job is now to give awareness talks to squaddies and civvies in a way that they wont be offended or embarrased. rather than using all the medical jargon that is usually thrown at you in these types of things the site and our talks are set up in such a way that it is more like haveing a chat with your best mate over a pint but the point of it is that Soldiers are more at risk of the disease through there style of life and age groups within our establishment. no man is imune from the disease. I suffered because of the lack of information at the time and the attitude of it wont happen to me. It Did!!!!!! we cant stop people getting the disease but we can stop you suffering as much as i did. have a look at the site for our full stories and forums etc or e-mail me for more info or to book a talk at your unit.

all the best

mick riley (Cpl)
  3. Nice site, Mick.
  4. Good to see you've come out the other side, Mick. Nice piece of work.

5. Nice one .... Cannot imagine what you went thru......Spread the Word.

Hope all goes well

Happy. :D
  6. Nice site - like the squirrel looking animal at the front with its bollocks hanging! Joke aside, glad that you're still here for your own loved ones and to promote such a cause.
    I used to feel a way about the amount of tests women have to go through where we have to be topless, bottomless or having a metal tube shoved up the front - even by male doctors, but I tend to think two things: 1. The quicker they do what they have to do, the quicker I'm out (and get treatment if necessary); and 2. My bits ain't the first they've seen and won't be the last! Lets hope the lads who go through your site get the same message :wink: Best of luck.
  7. Just to say thanks to all for the comments so far. I hope that we are able to come to your units soon to carry out a talk. I did a talk whilst out in Iraq and a full screw was casevacced 24 hours later just go's to show that no matter what level people are, if they get the info that they need they just may find something and get the treatment they need thus stopping them suffering as much as i did! anyway thanks to all so far and get the site disseminated round your units and lets get people looking at it. The site is entirely self funded and costs us about 3 grand a year to keep up and running so if anyone has any fundraising ideas let me know!!!

all the best

mick riley
  8. Mick, glad you made it... :)

Was wondering who no mention of breast cancer on the site?

Men are a little more aware of their bollox now and the lump issues down there, less so about their breasts and the fact they are at risk from breast cancer as well. Just a thought.

Beebs x
  9. Hi, I do agree that there should be more awareness for male breast cancer, however, The reason Philly and I have is that we have both had the cancer, therefore like to think that we know something about the disease and its treatments. Having not had breast cancer I dont feel qualified to talk about it. That is something to maybe look at for the future though, thanks for bringing it up.

All the best

10. nice site n its gud to see sum1 spreadin awareness ! good look soldier
  11. thanks for the positive comments, feel free to e-mail if you want to book an awareness talk/lecture for your unit/school/workplace, UK or Germany!!!!

thanks again arrsers

12. Thank you for this good luck in the future
  13. I am a UK based urologist, and TA. If any servicemen (or women or civvies) have any questions regarding testicular cancer, please feel free to PM me.

I can't provide "binding" advice over the internet (it's difficult to assume an electronic duty-of-care), but if I can provide information and put things in perspective, I'd be happy to.

14. Many thanks for offering up your help. Why not come over to and be one of our advisors on the website?

Just to let everyone know, is the forums advice threads of

also latest news... just been promoted to Sgt... there is life after cancer!!!

thanks all