Chechen Terrorists Infiltrate Arizona?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Oct 14, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Washington Times:

"US security officials are investigating a recent intelligence report that a group of 25 Chechen terrorists illegally entered the United States from Mexico in July.

"The Chechen group is suspected of having links to Islamist terrorists seeking to separate the southern enclave of Chechnya from Russia, according to officials familiar with intelligence reports.

"Members of the group, said to be wearing backpacks, secretly traveled to northern Mexico and crossed into a mountainous part of Arizona that is difficult for US border security agents to monitor, said officials speaking on the condition of anonymity."

"Chechen Terrorists Probed" by Bill Gertz.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20041013-121643-5028r.htm

2. Oh good grief :roll:

3. Talk about seeing shadows everywhere.

USA land of the free and the paranoid.

4. Did you guys read the same article as me? It was a report, reporting information which he received, nothing more nothing less.

It reported information with no bias; so why the cynicism in the responses?

Or is it the attitude that anything reported in the US press is shyte, but the British press is without?

Morgan Morgan Morgan....{clear throat} Piers 8O

IMHO Bill Gertz is probably one of the better reports the US Media has.

5. Best make sure there aren't any Chechen U-Boats coming up the Rio Grande :D :D

Read the quote again Ctauch , surely you can see the glaring anomaly straight away?

I think your story may well have originated with these people

http://www.americanborderpatrol.com/index.html

Probably a nice bunch of well meaning people , but they do make me kinda nervous 8O

[​IMG]

6. Great Movie :D

Off thread I know, but what a great movie all the same 8)

7. I was in the USA last week, talk about paranoid homeland security
    "Sir you've been to Iran, why did you go there?"
    "To work"
    "Why are you visiting the USA"
    "To waste some hoilday time talking to a dick like you"

Blokey with gun and lots of rubber stamps wanders off for 20 mins bringing back man with tie and shades. Lots of thumbing through passport and the like....nodoubt I picked up a FIB tail, following me around disneyworld........

8. Ctauch,

since 9/11, US security has increased and with due reason. What we are getting at is that the US now views EVERYBODY as potential threat, even us so-called allies. It does grate us slightly to be treated as such by a country we have stood by with, when the rest of the EU shrugged their shoulders.

Security is not a dirty word but security bordering on Paranoia is.[/i]

9. although it is totally fuelled by the Bush administration who are constantly saying that theyve had confirmed intelligence (WMD confirmed?) that an attack is imminent, check out CNN and Fox on satallite tv, always says that the threat level is 'elevated', keep the people paranoid, nice tactic :roll:

10. Bill Gertz sometimes gives the impression of being in thrall to his own sources within the Pentagon and the current US Administration. His published books have titles like "Betrayal : How the Clinton Administration Undermined American Security". Following the extremely serious allegation that the administration had compromised the identity of CIA agent Valerie Plame, as part of the 'spin wars' over Iraq, it was Mr Gertz who broke a story conveniently claiming that Plame's identity had already been accidentally compromised. This case could still see members of the present Administration going to prison.

11. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

Crevice! Now that's a dirty word! :D

12. It was with Blackadder in mind when I wrote that :wink:

13. That's a fair criticism. The people we need to be focused on are not of Anglo-Saxon descent.

14. Done and can't. The border between the US and Mexico has been a problem for years...hundreds in not thousands of illegals flow across it daily. Some are caught immediately, some die in the desert, and others make it [in the sense they are not caught immediately or die in the desert]. It is not a stretch to think that if a group of terrorists wanted to enter the country the Mexico border would do. If you are well prepared and with the right training survival in the AZ desert is possible, and hiding there is easy.

I'll give you this: there is a fine line between vigilant and paranoid. :roll:

15. Ctauch, does this report not create rather a problem for those of your country's Neocons who have been taking the Chechen separatists' side against the Russian Government?

It is all too painful to imagine the following fine individuals wearing the orange jumpsuits at Gitmo:

quote taken from http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1299318,00.html

another story at http://www.sundayherald.com/44741