Cheating or gamesmanship?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by thedobo, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In yesterdays cup final between Chelski & something United, Ronaldo appeared, to me anyway, to deliberately kick the ball against a Chelski defender to gain a free-kick on the edge of the area.

My question, is, gamesmanship or cheating, and which player should be penalised?

For the record, I support neither of the above.

2. tis just an all to often repeated sad part of what is laughingly called a game.
    When so many millions of pounds rides on a single sporting event these actions would seem to be the norm

Doesn't make it right or wrong
    just which team has the greatest desire to win at any cost, regardless of right or wrong

3. Are you talking about the Makelele handball?

I don't believe it was deliberate, shortly before the camera angle changes I spotted a United player make a run behind Makelele, which I think Ronaldo was trying to flick the ball through to, and lets face it Ronaldo is feckin useless at free kicks so not much to gain from a free kick at the edge of the box :/

4. Yeah, that's the incident. Just trying to keep an open mind and see what others think.

5. I didn't see the incident so can't comment but it made me think about the Man U goal that wasn't picked up by the ref.

If the keeper knows it's gone in, should he be fined for not being honest and putting his hands up. A cricketer wouldn't claim a catch if it wasn't clean.

Is there just too much money in football to expect sportsmanship from the players?

6. YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. if you're not cheating you're not trying!