Cheaper to fly to US to buy iMac than buy in UK

If you are looking at an iMac biy soon. I bought a MacBook about two weeks ago and they guy at the Apple store said that the iMac is being discontinued and when current stock is sold they will be no more.

apparently you can still get the 27 inch iMac, here the only ones available is the 17 inch iMac

^ Yes. I was thinking about Revenue and Customs standing there with their hand out.

For "doubly screwed" read "triply screwed."

The comparison is of course a piece of typical Daily Mail rubbish.

To 'save' just £26 ($35) I have got to get to a UK airport with the attendant costs, get to an Apple Store from a US airport with the attendant costs, buy an iMac, get it packed suitably for transit by air and then get back to the US airport and home from the UK airport, again with the attendant costs.

That doesn't consider any import duties or the fact that I will have wasted an irretrievable lump of my life.

Quite clearly, it is much cheaper and far easier for me to buy an iMac in the UK.

I have probably spent too much time over-thinking this one - must dash now as I have to buy a cheap iMac before they all sell out.

ETA
forgot to mention the additional cost of the power brick - US = 110v / UK = 230v

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

To 'save' just £26 ($35) I have got to get to a UK airport with the attendant costs, get to an Apple Store from a US airport with the attendant costs, buy an iMac, get it packed suitably for transit by air and then get back to the US airport and home from the UK airport, again with the attendant costs.

That doesn't consider any import duties or the fact that I will have wasted an irretrievable lump of my life.

Quite clearly, it is much cheaper and far easier for me to buy an iMac in the UK.

I have probably spent too much time over-thinking this one - must dash now as I have to buy a cheap iMac before they all sell out.

ETA
forgot to mention the additional cost of the power brick - US = 110v / UK = 230v
How much is leave worth and how many days would be used?

recently bought 27" imac from John Lewis. I had a look at buying one in Florida but the hassle in getting something that size back to UK safely and then possibly getting the customs surcharge put me off. Also JL gave me 3 years warranty and charged £35 for accidental damage cover whereas Apple US offered 1 years warranty and $110 for the accidental damage cover. As I am VAT registered I got the VAT back.

The UK price worked out at about £160 extra but for that I got an extra 2 years warranty and no hassle.

Then, I heard yesterday that the 27" imac is now available with a retina display, bugger.

What's new? Since I've been in the UK for the last 3 odd years, I haven't bought a single piece of expensive equipment here....or even things like clothes etc. for that matter. I am just not willing to pay the stupid prices, so whenever I go back I stock up on things which are much cheaper over in the U.S. for the same item.

Plus warranty wise, most (like Apple) are universal anyways and almost all portable products like laptops, phones etc come with universal power supplies (voltage wise). Job done.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
The new iMac with the 5K retina display is a thing of beauty. I am considering selling my new born for one.

The price used in the Mail article is taken from the website. Thing is you have to add the NY Sales tax.

But you have to do proper comparison, not everything is cheaper/ worth it in the U.S. And of course, the matter of flying etc...

Yet another gash DM article seeking chav anger responses without providing the obvious facts, well I'm in Miami this weekend however I'll not be purchasing any electrical items, but maybe some clothes or a new leatherman.

Having done the research, motorcyçle gear maybe to good to ignore due to the amount of dealers and clothing stores in the Miami area.

The new iMac with the 5K retina display is a thing of beauty. I am considering selling my new born for one.

The price used in the Mail article is taken from the website. Thing is you have to add the NY Sales tax.

Local state sales tax makes the big difference...varies from zero to 12 something!

Yet another gash DM article seeking chav anger responses without providing the obvious facts, well I'm in Miami this weekend however I'll not be purchasing any electrical items, but maybe some clothes or a new leatherman.

Having done the research, motorcyçle gear maybe to good to ignore due to the amount of dealers and clothing stores in the Miami area.

I have a colleague here who is a biker, he always gets his gear from the U.S....especially things like helmets and leathers.

The new iMac with the 5K retina display is a thing of beauty. I am considering selling my new born for one....

Last I heard, Apple are taking new-borns ( and arms, legs and vital organs) as a deposit / part payment
What's new? Since I've been in the UK for the last 3 odd years, I haven't bought a single piece of expensive equipment here....or even things like clothes etc. for that matter. I am just not willing to pay the stupid prices, so whenever I go back I stock up on things which are much cheaper over in the U.S. for the same item.

Plus warranty wise, most (like Apple) are universal anyways and almost all portable products like laptops, phones etc come with universal power supplies (voltage wise). Job done.

Isn't it the case that in the US an iMac (or anything else) costs xx% of the average US salary and in the UK, a similar % of the average UK salary with exchange rates working against septics visiting the UK and working for God's chosen people visiting the US?

I but Levi's from US eBayers. Two pairs of 501s delivered for about £75, vs. one pair in Blighty for c. £80.

ETA
forgot to mention the additional cost of the power brick - US = 110v / UK = 230v[
/QUOTE]

Not for Apple - iMacs and MacBooks work on 120/60Hz and 240/50Hz. No need for power converter, just a plug thingie

Not for Apple - iMacs and MacBooks work on 120/60Hz and 240/50Hz. No need for power converter, just a plug thingie

Ok... You have me convinced. Flight booked and on my way. A saving of £26 less local sales tax, taxis and other incidentals is not to be sniffed at.

I have a colleague here who is a biker, he always gets his gear from the U.S....especially things like helmets and leathers.
There's definitely more motorcycle stores available over here so competitive pricing should be ok compared to the UK.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads