Cheap Scopes Good Idea ?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by CptDanjou, Sep 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Buy cheap, buy twice.

tac

2. I got a simmons Aetec on the bay for 40 nicker. Shit hot.
    Was a once in a lifetime bargain though but keep your eyes peeled.
    Much better than any hawke or nikko.

3. I guess the most I can loose ids the purchase cost so I may try one , Im going to put it on a 7.62 target rifle.

4. I bought a set of 'Bushnells' bins a few weeks ago. Paid an honest but princely sum of money from them in Jessops. They were manufactured in...... errrr.... China.

5. I wouldn't worry about cheapo scopes on a rifle you're only going to use on the range. Different story if you're going to be using the rifle on live quarry though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Quick answer, No!
    Longer answer, Never!
    Why because they are shit and will let you down, you may get lucky but they dont hold zero and wont be any use when you really need them.
    You can buy quality at a bargain price but the stuff made in china is shit. US made scopes are vfm, Leupold esp if you can get it there and grey import it but dont buy chinese 100 quid scopes and expect 500 quid value, you will be lucky if they even adjust properly. The Edgar Brothers stuff is chinese made and badged for them, at least you get a warranty but there is no warranty against shit view in low light!

7. I use leupold scopes.

Bought cheap scopes once and the rifle I mounted them on managed to loosen the front lens after only 3 shots. And it was only a .223. So you would have no chance on a 7.62.

8. Spot on.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a cheap 4x 40 on the shelf to show customers. I ask them to wind the elevation drum, it doesnt stop, it broke the first day the mug took it to the range and its also kinked slightly as the tube didnt line up in the cheap mounts properly either. Save up and buy a decent scope. If you want a target scope for mid to long range work for a 7.62 let me know I have one going cheap that has withstood the rigours of that calibre a long time!

10. As ugly says.
    As a rough guide your scope should cost about as much as your rifle.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If not more, not forgetting the binos. I have seen at auction battered winchester .270s not even make the reserve of £100 whilst there has been £1500 of glass sat on top, sadly at the time no rfd ticket, now just no fecking money!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tasco scopes aren't that dear and are fairly rugged, they worked for me back in the day.

13. Not exactly cheap scopes, but does anyone know the relative merits of Nightforce as opposed to March scopes? I'm thinking of putting one on my Rem 700.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

"Tasco scopes aren't that dear and are fairly rugged, they worked for me back in the day. "

No they arent great,, they just arent as shit as chinese tat. If you shoot from 0900 to 1700 in good light at known distances on clear ranges then iron sights should suffice. It doesnt mean that I would go to the woods without a decent S&B scope mounted, its the last 30 minutes of legal light that you need the quality glass for and the same at the start of the day. I could buy an adequate Savage Edge in .308 with Tasco scope and mod for say £500 plus vat as a dealer. If I wanted to use it off the range at dawn or dusk then I would be upgrading for another £500 again to put a Zeiss scope on it.
    Dealer rates I must add.