Cheap Scopes Good Idea ?

I got a simmons Aetec on the bay for 40 nicker. Shit hot.
Was a once in a lifetime bargain though but keep your eyes peeled.
Much better than any hawke or nikko.

I guess the most I can loose ids the purchase cost so I may try one , Im going to put it on a 7.62 target rifle.

I bought a set of 'Bushnells' bins a few weeks ago. Paid an honest but princely sum of money from them in Jessops. They were manufactured in...... errrr.... China.

I wouldn't worry about cheapo scopes on a rifle you're only going to use on the range. Different story if you're going to be using the rifle on live quarry though.

ugly

LE
So whats wrong with these cheap scopes ?, no doubt made in China and about 95% cheaper than say a Nightforce or similar ,a mate bought one a couple of years ago for stalking and has had no issues , I`m just suspicious.Riflescope 6-24x50 AOE d=30 Crosshair Red Dot +Mount+++ | eBay
Quick answer, No!
Longer answer, Never!
Why because they are shit and will let you down, you may get lucky but they dont hold zero and wont be any use when you really need them.
You can buy quality at a bargain price but the stuff made in china is shit. US made scopes are vfm, Leupold esp if you can get it there and grey import it but dont buy chinese 100 quid scopes and expect 500 quid value, you will be lucky if they even adjust properly. The Edgar Brothers stuff is chinese made and badged for them, at least you get a warranty but there is no warranty against shit view in low light!

I use leupold scopes.

Bought cheap scopes once and the rifle I mounted them on managed to loosen the front lens after only 3 shots. And it was only a .223. So you would have no chance on a 7.62.

ugly

LE
I have a cheap 4x 40 on the shelf to show customers. I ask them to wind the elevation drum, it doesnt stop, it broke the first day the mug took it to the range and its also kinked slightly as the tube didnt line up in the cheap mounts properly either. Save up and buy a decent scope. If you want a target scope for mid to long range work for a 7.62 let me know I have one going cheap that has withstood the rigours of that calibre a long time!

ugly

LE
If not more, not forgetting the binos. I have seen at auction battered winchester .270s not even make the reserve of £100 whilst there has been £1500 of glass sat on top, sadly at the time no rfd ticket, now just no fecking money!

Not exactly cheap scopes, but does anyone know the relative merits of Nightforce as opposed to March scopes? I'm thinking of putting one on my Rem 700.

ugly

LE
"Tasco scopes aren't that dear and are fairly rugged, they worked for me back in the day. "

No they arent great,, they just arent as shit as chinese tat. If you shoot from 0900 to 1700 in good light at known distances on clear ranges then iron sights should suffice. It doesnt mean that I would go to the woods without a decent S&B scope mounted, its the last 30 minutes of legal light that you need the quality glass for and the same at the start of the day. I could buy an adequate Savage Edge in .308 with Tasco scope and mod for say £500 plus vat as a dealer. If I wanted to use it off the range at dawn or dusk then I would be upgrading for another £500 again to put a Zeiss scope on it.
Dealer rates I must add.

"Tasco scopes aren't that dear and are fairly rugged, they worked for me back in the day. "

No they arent great,, they just arent as shit as chinese tat. If you shoot from 0900 to 1700 in good light at known distances on clear ranges then iron sights should suffice. It doesnt mean that I would go to the woods without a decent S&B scope mounted, its the last 30 minutes of legal light that you need the quality glass for and the same at the start of the day. I could buy an adequate Savage Edge in .308 with Tasco scope and mod for say £500 plus vat as a dealer. If I wanted to use it off the range at dawn or dusk then I would be upgrading for another £500 again to put a Zeiss scope on it.
Dealer rates I must add.
The one I had on my P&H .303 seemed to gather the light quite nicely, could be that the quality was better back in the early 70's
when I bought it.

ugly

LE
I doubt that you had the chance to compare it toi quality German or Austrian glass. trust me, my Leupolds are great and not cheap by any means but not a competitor to a Zeiss or Swarovski by any means. My Binos the same. A 10 year old Zeiss would knock spots of a brand new US made Leupold or even a Steiner.
I had the chance to attend an open day by the Sauer Importers. All rifle and ammo free. Ruag ammo, sauer rifles and Swarovski glass. I came away trully impressed. Most mass produced rifles are fine, I even have a .303 PH sporter built on a 1917 BSA Lee Enfield but I had £800 worth of Leuopold glass on top. That was insane but the rifle did the job till I scrapped it. The rifle cost me £75 but with that glass on top put lots in the freezer. I usually go more balanced, £500 for a rifle and similar for glass is about the right budget. Buy second hand and dont be ashamed of buying a cheap rifle but saving up for good glass and mounts.
Also dont take it personally but the guy with the good glass knows the true value of what he has and by value I dont mean cost. Hence the battered .270 model 70 looking like its lain in the back of a blood and guts filled landrover for its life but with a scope that will last a lifetime and still be shockingly clear 20 years later. The difference is difficult to explain but its like watching the latest flat screen TV in the showroom and seeing all the colour and detail and then going back to a 1990's tv with a curved glass front!

Two weeks ago I was on the range with a noob who had just bought a very nice varmint-style CZ. The 'gun-dealer' who sold him the rifle 'put' a scope on it - a Hawke 3-9x something or other.

When he got it to the bench the scope had plainly just been put on with no regard to the person using it. At 50m it was aiming 5 feet left and three feet low.

With the gun firmly on the bags, we tried to get it somewhere near zero - and ran out of adjustment with two feet in each direction still to go. The elevation turret simply rotated........

Like I noted - buy cheap.............................................

tac

The one I had on my P&H .303 seemed to gather the light quite nicely, could be that the quality was better back in the early 70's
when I bought it.
Yep, I have two of the ENORMOUS Tasco target scopes with the external Unertl-style adjustment - one in x16 and one in x20. They are remarkably good, even by today's standards - watching a .22LR bullet on its way to the target is great fun!

tac

Cheap scopes often have a harder time on spring powered air rifles than they ever will on a .22RF or moderated .222, due in part perhaps to the double smashing they tend to get when the spring strikes the end of the cylinder.

There is little place for a cheap scope other than on a .22LR plinker. You may get lucky and keep one a few years, but you never know when they're going to let go.