Cheap Sailing in Mallorca courtesy of GCO - Crew wanted!

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Good CO, Aug 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm doing a sailing trip to Mallorca in the last week of Sep, first week in Oct and am looking for crew, having been let down by some "great idea, I'm in"s and having a load of mates who now have kids, serious jobs and can't do these things at the drop of a hat any more!

It's a 43 foot sailing boat from Palma de Mallorca and the intention is to go either round Mallorca or round Minorca depending on weather and what's decided at the start of each week. The second week is almost full (of Germans!), but there are still 6 places on the first out of the 8 needed. It's about 60 / 40 men to women at the moment.

It would be a great shame to cancel the first week and I'm sure there are people out there who would love to go - and if not you reading this, maybe you can think of someone who would be and send them a link to this post.

It's a 'friends' trip and the cost is shared equally - £188 per person per week based on 8. No crew to pay for and very little expense after that as food and beer will be bought in the supermarket before we go.

I won't waffle on here - email me at if you're interested and I can describe who else is going, exact dates, times etc. I've done the same trip twice before and both were excellent and I'm sure this will be the same, obviously depending on the weather.

Oh, finally, no experience or kit needed. Willingness to get stuck in good though!
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

still looking!
  4. I can't do the week commencing 25th September - otherwise would have loved to try sailing - especially somewhere nice and sunny
  5. You might want to avoid Mallorca then ! I came back from two weeks sailing there in June and the second week we might as well have gone around the Scottish coast. Mind you, the first week was proper "Ice Cold in Alex" territory so your mileage may vary ;-)

Good CO, are you chartering ?

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Yes, from sunsail. I've done the same trip at the same time of the year twice before and had perfect weather, but that doesn't mean it will be this year of course.. fingers crossed!
  7. GCO,

I would love to go unfortunatley my Open Uni final assignment has got to be in by Oct 6th and I will therefore be unable to go.

2 weeks later and I would've bitten your arm off to go on that as I've yet to take my Summer Leave.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Crew is growing, but there are still places, particularly 23 - 30 Sep. The_Matelot, can't you ask for a short extension? Or just take your laptop - I would have thought a small yacht full of noisy drunken idiots would be the ideal place to finish some serious study :)
  9. OU will not grant me an extension as it's the end of year assignment. Bunch of bureaucratic nazi's.

It doesn't help that in the six weeks left to the assignment being handed in, I'm away on courses for 3 of those weeks....
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Roll up, roll up.....

Swimming in beautiful clear blue water in tiny hidden bays...

Beautiful spanish (OK, in Mallorca more likely German) girls...

or boys... it's all OK nowadays...

Ice cold beer... not on the boat perhaps where the beer there will be luke warm cheap supermarket crap, but don't let that put you off....

Being able to say "Daaaarling, I had a simply wUnderful little yachting trip to Mallorca, you really shoood go" in the NAAFI...

How can you refuse? I'm sure the CO will let you off the next Telic.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

12. Have forwarded to Ensign V-Sign, not an Arrser but has history.

I've often cristicised him for sailing too often in the Baltic, and not having enough artistic photos on his return.
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for your help whiffler.
  14. We chartered from Sunsail at Palma a couple of times before. Found them OK, although the last time the boat was in rag order when we received it and it took us a few days to get everything working. To be fair, we did arrive late due to problems with the flight, and by the time we got there everything had been robbed off of our boat to sort out diffy kit on the others !

This year we chartered a 44' Bavaria from a friendly boxhead we met the year before, and found alles in ordnung. What's your itinerary ? I only ask out of interest as there's no way I can come along :-(

Have you done Cabrera before ? I can recommend that - if nothing else it's worth it to see the sleepy Spanish conscripts driving between the bar and the block and back again. What a life !

15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Itinerary will probably be around Mallorca the first weel and to Minorca the second. As vague as that at the moment! 3 years ago I went round Mallorca and it was superb, then two years ago around Ibiza. Last year, sadly no sailing.

I've chartered from sunsail a few times before and they were good, although the boats were not well equipped enough for much more than fine weather cruising if I remember rightly.

Still places on 23rd - 30th Sep. Please help me out by spreading the word!