Cheap runaround

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by bitterandtwisted, Mar 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello Car experts

I am after some advice. Basically my car is bolloxed - And I need to buy a cheap runaround for me and my family less costing than a grand. Can anyone recommend a reliable runaround but it must be estate and less than 2l as the cost of fuel is ******* expensive. Ideally a 1.6....the reason being is I am due to deploy and not willing to fork out before I go in the next few months....

I would be grateful for you opinions and reommendations that would aid me to find the car that I could drive into the ground.....

Cheers in addy

2. What is your preference Manual or Automatic?

Petrol or diesel?

3. Ford Mondeo. Good reliable. 1.8 is smallest methinks. Plenty in Autotrader. Rover 75 as long as head gasket repaired.Megane, Astras and Golfs all estate models worth a look.

4. Jag x-type 2.7 TDI estate, will cure all that ails ya. I know its a slightly bigger displacement than what you want, but, its a Jagggg.

5. Surely it has to be a volvo. Can get a pretty decent V40 for under a grand. Come in various engine sizes etc. They are a pretty solid motor, aren't gonna lose you any money and the real bonus is that when it eventually does die, its big enough for your whole family to live in! This ones only £450! 2000 Volvo V40 1.6 XS 5dr Estate

• Like Like x 2
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Less than a grand? Get a family bus season ticket.

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

No no, it's a Jaaaaag.

8. No pref really but the wife cn only drive automatic but she has to retake her test as her international licence has run out.

9. I had the same model that just gone tits but auto and not LPG was 2.0 but the bearings have gone in the diff, agreed good cars. But I need the boot space so LPG is no good for me!

10. Old shape Focus.

11. If you want reliable for under a grand your best bet will probably be something Japanese. How about a 10 year old 1.5 petrol Mazda 323? Cheaper car tax too.

edit: or something bigger? 1.8 Toyota Avensis estate.

12. Deploying?

Can't the lazy feckers walk?

Gawd 'elp us!