Cheap real coffee

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gobbyidiot, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 100g of decent instant is about £2. Lidl sell 500g of real ground coffee for £2:19. I don't think it's bad (although I'm not that fussy). I put about half an inch in a pyrex mug, pint of boiling, 4 minute brew, strain through a piece of mesh and 30 seconds in the microwave to get the temperature back up.

Okay, it ain't Starbucks, but pretty good for 15p a pint.

This bloke reckons it's a better quality brand with a different cover.
  2. It was even better when it was on offer at about £1.50 a bag. Drink it all the time, it's what gets me awake in the morning when I get into the office
  3. I have always found Lidl and Aldi products perfectly acceptable. Lidl smoked salmon is preferable to Tesco's. The only thing I have taken back were 2 neck-support pillows, that went lumpy, and they gave me a refund without any fuss.

I did, once, try Grappa from Lidl. Eeukk!! Had never tasted the stuff before. I had to hold my nose to get it down (in the days when I drank alcohol).

They seem to have a well-educated clientele in the branches around here.

My brother, in East Sussex, has caught several lovely 2 - 2.5 lb sea-bass with his £16.99 Lidl rod.
  4. Yep they have a lot of good stuff, their fruit and veg is usually good value, the booze coms and goes, but they do a lot of stuff that is every bit as good as the premium supemarkets like Tesco. Our local Aldi is next door to Tesco and it fairly keepsTesco on their toes
  5. Best general coffee that I've found is from Aldi. Costa Rican roast and ground. 100% Arabica beans.
    It's £1.86 for 250 gms (standard bag size), beautiful rounded taste.
  6. Yeah. although nearly twice the price of my cheapo purchase. Lidl do a Kenyan-Guatamalen (sp) blend for £3.70 per 500g, which smells brilliant, but (apparently) is too bitter for the cognoscenti.
  7. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Although not the cheapest, have you tried Nescafe Cap Colombe(sp). It is by far, one of the best tasting Colobian instant coffees about.
  8. yeah i get my coffee from lidl i buy the fair trade stuff which is £2 not sure how much is in it but it tastes quite nice
  9. Aldi do an 100% Columbian single plantation for £1.89 per 250g. Haven't tried it, but the blurb on the bag implies that by the time you've finished a cup you should have shot your lot in your skiddies :)
  10. instant coffee 8O you heathen
  11. The Lidl Espresso (Italian iirc) is mind-blowing stuff. Brew for just a few mins in the cafetiere and you're wide awake. Perfect for the sleepy office environment
  12. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I know, but I have yet to find real coffee that tastes as good as this stuff. When I do, I will have the wife knocking up a pot for when I get home.
  13. There's a bloke at work makes a pot of this every morning, one of those heated Italian pots with the water coming up and over the coffee and getting re-cycled. Tasty, but I generally steer clear or I'm bouncing off the walls for most of the day.
  14. I am curently drinking Percol Colombian coffee made in a cafetiere - available from tesco and very nice
  15. Does it have any distinct taste?