Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap options for night/low light photography?

The Night Mode on an iPhone 11 or 12 is very effective. There are also a number of cheap apps that you can add that enhance it, including a thermal imaging app.

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ60 and I posted a couple of pics on here ages ago showing its low light capability. CBA looking for it now, but I was amazed. Basically took 8 or so shots and stitched them together to give what looked like a daytime shot. It was a top end compact when I bought it, but did the job brilliantly without flash.

From making a lot of mistakes....

First have some kind of digital SLR, doesn't matter brand really, that can shoot at ISO 1600 without creating massive artifacts, which nearly all digital cameras are capable of

Have a flash for your camera, it doesn't have to be an expensive one, but make sure it allows you to use manual mode on it, just try and avoid the pop up flash that can be inbuilt to your camera, get one that sits on your cameras 'hotshoe'

Rear sync flash gives a good look, use your flash on camera to save time, but with flash power set to manual

You will have to experiment, and it depends on how high an ISO you can go on your camera without seeing artificacts

But general ISO 800 or 1600, shutter 1/30 to begin with (try it at 1/15th when you get used to it), the fastest shutter speed for the lens ie f2.8 if you can (but ideally no slower than f5.6)

Actually thinking about it try ISO 800 (adjust this if your lens is slower aperture, for f/4 it will normally be ISO 1600) but depends on your kit

Always try to position your subject with light on the background if there is any and avoid any spotlights
and other bright objects covering faces, this will make you very difficult to edit them out later

Is that any help?

Can't you use a normal camera and flash?

Is the IR for tactical reasons?

It's to get a specific look, a bit of a one trick pony but great when it works

Add 12 hours to the camera clock and take the photo in daylight.

People will look at the time-stamp and be really impressed.

Just been out to play in the lane, in the dark and with my phone on a small tripod.
Set to manual. No street lights with a full moon but still dark.
20201130_190156_compress13.jpg

ISO then set to 3200 and shutter at 8, 10 and 20 seconds.
8 seconds seemed to be the best for the available light.
20201130_190629_compress12.jpg
20201130_190604_compress17.jpg

20201130_190848_compress66.jpg

Can't try any of this until dogging opens up again (just joking in case my wife reads this).

Whenever I load landscape photos from my phone, Arrse rotates them. It wouldn’t happen on my laptop or iPad, just the phone. Maybe I’m missing something, but there’s no photo edit function on Arrse now?
Wild guess that all those Apple devices are set to autorotate the image. The fact that it wants to load as portrait on a non-Apple platform suggests it is a portrait that was taken on it's side :) If you use photo editing software, you can rotate it 90 degrees. You could try Faststone Image Viewer is free and works on Apple as well as * Windows (and Linux under WINE). The Apple software should have an option to set it as landscape. Just a thought.
[*ETA I thought it worked on Apple too but maybe not]

Last edited:
Wild guess that all those Apple devices are set to autorotate the image. The fact that it wants to load as portrait on a non-Apple platform suggests it is a portrait that was taken on it's side :) If you use photo editing software, you can rotate it 90 degrees. You could try Faststone Image Viewer is free and works on Apple as well as Windows (and Linux under WINE). The Apple software should have an option to set it as landscape. Just a thought
Yes, I think they do. It works no problem from Photos on my Mac, but from the camera roll it always rotates when loading to Arrse. I put the same image on Facebook yesterday and it rendered correctly.....

Yes, I think they do. It works no problem from Photos on my Mac, but from the camera roll it always rotates when loading to Arrse. I put the same image on Facebook yesterday and it rendered correctly.....
"In order to get the correct online rotation, you’ll need to either use an iOS device or an OS X devices with iCloud Photo Library synced to that collection, or use different software to handle the rotation and re-upload.

If you’re handy with the command line, in OS X or Windows, you can also use the free ExifTool to modify embedded EXIF data in photographs."

How to solve incorrect photo rotation after sync or upload

Hmm, I didn't see an Apple version for the software I mentioned after all.
Try this: How to Rotate Photos on Mac with Photos App

Last edited:

Latest Threads