Cheap optical sights - worth getting?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by napier, Apr 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Maybe a silly question, but I was scanning ebay for optical sights for my soon to arrive rifle (Enfield/PH sporter), and I came a cross a wide selection of Hong Kong made copies of ACOG, Eotech, etc. Some clearly said airsoft only, but the prices varied drastically and some claimed to come from factories that serviced the PLA. This one for example looks quite well made; the (maybe silly) question is, could you use one on a real rifle and not have it lose zero/fall apart after 5 rounds?

2. Aside from the fact that it will be horrible rubbish you'll have a great deal of difficulty mounting it on an Enfield action in a usable manner without a LOT of work.

3. i also worry about the sizes of the rails doesn't look right too me!

weaver is almost the same picatinny and should be compatible

4. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

I doubt they do refunds, which isn't a good thing considering that its a Chinese replica.

Also, you're going to be spending upwards of £100 (custom charges and the like) on something from HK.. Surely theres something more suitable in the UK?

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My personal advice is to stay well-clear of cheapy scopes unless you only plan to plink with an air rifle.

Spend the money, get something decent because, as every good shooter will tell you, good class is worth its weight in gold.

If you are looking for mid-range scopes, something like Nikon, Leupold, Docter Optics, Falcon, Bushnell, MTC or something, or if you want the gucci stuff then have a look at Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender (German, not Hungarian) or similar.

6. I wouldnt put one of the ACOG copys on any centerfire rifle. it would just get shaken to bits by the recoil and fall apart on you.
    the chinese ACOG copys are fine for air-rifles and .22lr (and airsoft), thats what they were designed for, they aint quality enough for a full bore rifle.
    the chinese acog copys go well and look great on things like the .22lr GSG-5.

good point by DF here, a lot of folk dont realise that a strong air-rifle generates a lot of recoil due to spring rebound, you need a stronger set of optics and better mounts on an air-rifle than most .22lrs TBH

I'v said this before - you should spend more on the optics and mount than you do on the rifle!
    accuracy is all.

7. I use an air rifle. I'm not a child. Do you own any firearms at all Nut? I've got plenty but I still have air rifles.

8. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Thanks all, I assumed that would be the case but thought I'd better ask.

9. I've heard of AR15 owners using the cheap ACOGS and Aimpoint knockoffs. Try looking on AR15.com, there are a few threads on the subject.

10. You know, a few years ago I would have agreed with you. But some of the newer Chinese stuff isn't half bad now. I would certainly stay away from the ebay sold red dots and ACOGs, but take a look at some of the scopes made by the Nantong Universal Optical Instrument Co, better known as 'Zos'. They are really quite credible - not just my view as Vince Bottomley gave one a good review in Target Sports. Fox Firearms imports these and they sell for only £100!

For a bit more, you can also get some very good Japanese scopes, e.g. Optimate, Sightron and Hakko. For sure they are not as good as the top German or US glass, but they're not that far behind.

11. I bought one of the Fox Firearms scopes. It went right back. Piece of sh1t by any standard.

12. Hmm - chap at my club has one and he is very pleased with it. Perhaps there's a bit of a lottery at play on the quality?

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Napier, are you back or window shopping from a dusty location?
    If back I'll extract a digit!