Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Cheap life saver!

expat_71

War hero
I've just been filling in forms for my painters to be trained in using a new (ish) product that will be replacing epoxy paints.

I won't be naming the product , it is being used for anti corrosion by the US Navy and US Air force, no mention of the US Army though.

The reason why I'm starting a thread about it is I've just this minute finished watching a promotional video where they showed an office with dummies sitting at the desks and an explosion goes off(simulating a car bomb) the results were dummies in pieces.

Then they did it again but this time the office walls were covered in a thick elastomeric urethane coating.
The wall stretched and went back into place with no flying pieces of wall or anything.

The pentagon has been coated in this product.
They also showed breeze blocks being coated then thrown off roof tops and filmed them bouncing down the street.

Are the British fortifications being coated in this or similar?
If not why not because they bl00dy well should be, talk about a cheap life saver.

The British Government will have comissioned two TA Offr Chemistry students to come up with our own version. Needless to say, it will be twice as expensive and half as effective, but will be neatly stamped with the kite mark.

Is it cheap though?

How much for a pot of paint and how much does it cover?>

Are there any other problesm. ie. Does it give off dense toxic smoke if on fire?

The walls on my office are so thick with paint that you can take the bricks away and the building will still stand (well... probably)
How thickly does this product need to be applied to be effective? Is it applied to the inside of a building, the outside or both?

theoriginalphantom said:
The walls on my office are so thick with paint that you can take the bricks away and the building will still stand (well... probably)
How thickly does this product need to be applied to be effective? Is it applied to the inside of a building, the outside or both?

And can it be applied to vehicles for some extra protection???
Is it affected by the environment ie heat or in this frigging country cold and wet

chocolate_frog wrote:Is it cheap though?

Tiny% of the cost of any training of a single person(sorry if I sound cold or insensitive to a death)
How much for a pot of paint and how much does it cover?>

It's not paint , In total cost analysis :Asset protection , life ,application time , loss of use of asset.
Cheap mate , Touch dry in 10 secs and then recoat to your spec.you can drive or walk on it in 30 secs.

Are there any other problems. i.e.. Does it give off dense toxic smoke if on fire?

No solvents ,Meets all epa emission levels , Fire retardant.

It is used on tanker(fuel) trucks, and Aircraft carriers.
Excellent Force protection(bombs)Approved by the US Air Force.

The funny thing is, it was developed as an anti scratch coating for pick up trucks.

Remains flexible from -40 to 160 cent

Thickness 30 mil to 2000 mil including overhead surfaces.
I don't have any info on effective blast protection thickness.

And get this : 105% to 700% + stretching before loss of adhesion.Well that means a lot to me.

Sounds too good to be true and far, far too useful for the MOD to utilize it.

Doubtless, a committee and a trials unit will spend years leading up to pensions, and millions of pounds, before forgetting what it is they are supposed to be doing!! Then we shall procure a less effective but far more expensive alternative.

Cynical? Moi!