Cheap Laptop capable of running SIMS 3?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by HAIRYARSERIGGER, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am in the market for a new general purpose laptop, (max £400 if possible), that must be capable of running SIMS 3 for my daughter.

Any ideas?

Any help would be gratefully received.
  2. Judging from the comments on such a laptop might not have the spec to cut it. If she already has the game, check out the recommended spec and aim higher than that if you can.
  3. For your daughter!

I'm no expert, so I like Dell - you can build it to meet the spec you need.
  4. Look for one with a separate graphics card, integrated graphics are shit for gaming.

I've got a Laptop for £600 ish (can't remember exact price now) Acer Aspire 7736G and it has a Nvidia Geforce G210m 512mb.

I spent ages looking at the time for the best budget gaming laptop, and this was the best all rounder I could find, so if you can stretch to an extra 200 notes it's a gleaming laptop with a massive 500gb hard drive.

I've yet to find a game it can't play well, Cyrsis is usually the benchmark people measure there PCs against and I can run it on a mix of medium and high settings.
  5. Actually I just had a quick google for it and it can be bought for £550 , but with a smaller hard drive of 320gb.
  6. They're at it again. :roll:

So will a £400 laptop do the job or not? If so, which one?
  7. Max £400 if possible fooknuts.
  8. According to my laptop greatly exceeds the minimum requirements. It cost £350 a year ago.

BTW, I'm very impressed that you paid lots of money for your laptop. It must be capable of playing DVDs very quickly.
  9. I did my best to answer a simple question not to tommy two sh1t and in the world of gaming PCs 600 notes doesn't go far.

If that's a problem for you or if you have a problem with me, I suggest you calm down before you have a stroke you old cunt, maybe go outside, it's a lovely day.
  10. Thanks for all the replies so far fellas. To he honest I had my doubts that £400 would cover the cost but you live in hope don't you?

I'll take a look at the ones mentioned and maybe re-think my budget.

Thanks again.
  11. Do you mind me asking which laptop you bought?
  12. This one's an Acer Aspire 5735Z. I got fed up with paying over the odds for laptops that geeks recommended.

I don't know how good it is for gaming - it beats the minimum specs quoted for SIMS3, but as I don't play that sort of game, I wouldn't know how it would perform.

But then again, I bought my daughter a Toshiba (think of a number) that is higher spec than mine and cost about £430. But it was a case of shopping around - the same model was up to £650 in other shops.
  13. rigger

Be wary of buying a lappy that just covers the min requirments mate,more often than not the reality is nothing like it says on the back of the case.

I've had PCs meet the min requirements for games in the past and had a choppy low framerate, graphics problems and crashing to desktop.

EA , who make sims are a f**ker for it as well.
  14. That laptop does not meet the min requirements for the Sims 3, it has integrated graphics.

Sims 3 needs 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

Which means it needs a separate dedicated graphics card of at least 128mb.
  15. You WILL need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card and a decent one at that. You're not going to get anything for less than £450, unless you find some sort of offer. Unfortunately, with laptops, the graphics card is the thing which will hold you back most with practically all 3D games made in the past 10 years. is an extraordinarily comprehensive site for laptop hardware.

I've restricted the list to show what currently available graphics cards are capable of playing Sims 3. I suggest at least 30 fps on medium details. Choose a notebook with one of those chipsets in, at least 2GB of RAM, any Core 2 Duo or Core i3 processor, a reasonable hard drive, a 15.4" screen, etc.

I should tell you at this point that desktops give far better bang-for-buck as far as gaming goes.